Snorkeling At Labadee?

Curious1

Will be cruising on FOS on 11/12 !! Can someone tell me if they offer snorkeling on Labadee and if so how much does it cost?

Another question, how do you get from where we dock in Grand Cayman to 7 Mile Beach, do you take a taxi or is it within walking distance?

Do they rent snorkeling equipment there?

Thank you!

Curious 1

In Grand Cayman the ship does not dock. The ship will anchor in the water and they will provide tender service to take you ashore. Once ashore there will be taxis right near the tender pier. It's about $4 or $5 per person to go to Sven Mile Beach depending on how far down the beach you go. The taxis can drop you off at one of several beach clubs along the beach where you pay a day fee to use the facilities. Some of these places rent snorkel equipment.

When we were in Labadee we didn't see too much for snorkeling- there is one beach at the very point that is mostly coral sand and the water has a lot of coral, so you might be able to see a few fish.

RC rents the equipment for the day (maybe $10) for the setup. We bought our own set from Costco last year for around $30- the only problem is it is bulky to carry/pack with you.

In Labadee, you can go snorkeling. We brought our own gear, so don't know about the price. We loved Labadee. We went snorkeling at all of our ports, so it was really worth it for us to bring our own gear. We didn't bring flippers, though, just the goggles and snorkel.

The taxis in Grand Cayman charged us $5 per person to go Seven Mile Beach. We went to Sea Grape Beach, which is part of Seven Mile Beach. We did not have to pay an entrance fee. They had snorkel gear for rent along with chairs, etc.

Have fun! :)

and what a great week with over 1000 Diamond/Plus folks.

The Beach Patrol at Ladadee is a bit overboard. My DH & I were snorkeling at Hideaway Beach in the rocks & a guy grabs my long hair & pulls. He states I have no vest on & cannot snorkel. Same with my DH. What BS!

In Grand Cayman the ship does not dock. The ship will anchor in the water and they will provide tender service to take you ashore. Once ashore there will be taxis right near the tender pier. It's about $4 or $5 per person to go to Sven Mile Beach depending on how far down the beach you go. The taxis can drop you off at one of several beach clubs along the beach where you pay a day fee to use the facilities. Some of these places rent snorkel equipment.

Just a little FYI - Just got off the Freedom on the 15th. As we left Grand Cayman I went to bingo where Abe told us that in Grand Cayman Freedom never had to drop an anchor because of the GPS system they have on the ship it keeps is within a few foot area!

He sends a message with instructions to the satellite which then takes over controls to keep Freedom in the exact spot with no anchor while we are off having fun at any port that is a tender.

HOW NEAT! We had a massive storm with winds & tornadic swirling rains rotating very fast in front of our balcony but not getting us wet. The lightening was a Hollywood event with colors, etc. But Freedom never rocked, never thumped, you never knew you were sailing if you didn't look out a window or on a balcony.

Just a little FYI - Just got off the Freedom on the 15th. As we left Grand Cayman I went to bingo where Abe told us that in Grand Cayman Freedom never had to drop an anchor because of the GPS system they have on the ship it keeps is within a few foot area!

He sends a message with instructions to the satellite which then takes over controls to keep Freedom in the exact spot with no anchor while we are off having fun at any port that is a tender.

Just FYI - GPS hovering is not unique to Freedom.

If we have our own eqiupment to snorkel, are we then obligated to rent a vest? That seems absurd! Especially since I plan on not straying past the shore.

I was bringing my kids arm floaties--are they sufficient or does it have to be THEIR vest?

and we both can swim so we don't use vests or flippers. But Labadee's Beach Patrol as his vest stated wants it & their gear center has a big sign stating it.

Guess they want their $7 PP snorkeling who didn't rent gear from them. I could stand up to *itch at him too so why is it needed?

If we have our own eqiupment to snorkel, are we then obligated to rent a vest? That seems absurd! Especially since I plan on not straying past the shore.

I was bringing my kids arm floaties--are they sufficient or does it have to be THEIR vest?

and what a great week with over 1000 Diamond/Plus folks.

The Beach Patrol at Ladadee is a bit overboard. My DH & I were snorkeling at Hideaway Beach in the rocks & a guy grabs my long hair & pulls. He states I have no vest on & cannot snorkel. Same with my DH. What BS!

There have been contraversies over this requirement and the fact that they do NOT require the swimmers to wear a vest. Pretty ridiculous! I have been there and Cococay, and snorkeled every time. Have never rented a vest and never been confronted. Snorkeling can not be done properly (diving and swimming underwater) if you are wearing a vest.

Maybe I have been lucky, or my "I know what I'm doing" attitude might have gotten me past, but I would probably have been in trouble if they confronted me (especially if he grabbed my hair to do so - his job would have been in jeopardy).

My suggestion would be to buy cheap vests (can probably get them for $5-$10 at Walmart) and take with you. Don't blow them up, but have them with you just in case.

I would also ALWAYS suggest getting your own snorkeling equipment. Go to a "Dive Shop" and try on different masks until you find one that fits your face properly. It may cost a little more, but you will really see a difference on enjoyment. Besides, the rented mouthpiece is plastic, and you have no idea who has been chewing on that mouthpiece before you.

Hope this helps.

Labadee brochure obtained from Freedom last week states:

" A snorkeling safety vest is required and can be rented for a nominal fee at the Snorkel Shack"

Labadee is really great. This was my first time and I can't wait to go back. I did not get a chance to snorkel, but the water was crystal clear. I think the last time we were at Coco Cay, the vest rental was $6.00.

I think this policy is crazy!!! They will let you swim out as far as you want without a vest, but if you are snorkeling you need a vest???? The water is not that deep and most of the time you can just STAND UP if there is a problem!

We do not have vests, and do not plan on taking our equipment onto Labadee- but if we were I would not rent a vest from the ship, if I was not a good swimmer then maybe I would, but give me a break if you own your own stuff then obviously you must be able to swim. I guess they feel like it is their island they can make the rules. Makes sense now that when we were in GC and went to stingray city (where the water is waist deep) the tours from RC and Carnival all had on flotation devices- quite a site 100 people all walking around with their yellow vests- definitely overkill!

Vests were required each time we have been to Coco Cay or Labadee. They do charge less than what the cost is for getting the mask/snorkel/fins with the vest.

Hey it is their island. I agree, it is most likely not needed, but I pay the $ put it on and GO have a good time. :)

and this is Labadee as asked, not Grand Cayman

Please go back and read the OP, and you will see you are incorrect. The OP asked about Labadee and GC. Why are you giving me a hard time for offering a constructive, helpful opinion?

My husband and I snorkled in Labadee in late September. We brought our own masks and snorkles. Last year in Bermuda we paid for a snorkling excursion and they provided us with vests or noodles-the kind you use in a pool. The noodles were great! So, I bought 2 pool "noodles" for a dollar each in a junk store at home. They fit in the suitcase easily. We used them to float around in the beautiful water at Labadee. No one approached us about vests and I didn't know it was a rule! We LOVED Labadee, wish we had 2 days there. :)

Archived