X for Christmas?

Enchanted

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me decide.

Like most of you i'm sure, I get lots of emails offering various deals on different cruises. Our family cruises at least once a year and my parents often squeeze in a second trip.

We've tried a few different lines and are partial to HAL but have never sailed Celebrity (which we've been wanting to do). We've also been wanting to try Hawaii.

I received an email offering Celebrity Summit for Nov 2007, a balcony category, prepaid tips and dinner one night in the specialty restaurant with tax and port for $2243 USD/pp.

Is this a good deal? Having never sailed X or Hawaii, I have no idea.

I can't afford to take my whole family, but i'm thinking about booking this for my parents for Christmas and their anniversary.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

It's not a holiday sail, but i was thinking about it for their Christmas gift.

The cruise itself isn't until November 2007.

it's 14 nights from San Diego (return)

4 sea days

Lahaina Maui

Honolulu

Mount Kilauea (evening sail)

Hilo

Kailua Kona

4 sea days (they like sea days)

and last stop- Ensenada Mexico

The price sounds very good.

I love cruising and love Hawaii, but prefer not to mix the two.

There is so much to experience on each island, a few hours in port is just not enough. We have been 3 times on land vacations and split each one between Waikiki (not my preference but kids love it), and Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island of Hawaii. Maui was my favorite because it was a mix of the hustle of Waikiki and the peacefulness of the neighbor islands.

I have also heard that many people get very sick on the 4 sea days each way due to rough seas.

If you choose to do this, I highly recommend Celebrity, but think a land package is preferable.

Wow, i didn't realize the water would be rough... i get queasy easily, so that definately wouldn't appeal to me.

My parents have never been bothered by the motion though.

How rough is it? Enough to close off the outside decks?

You're right. There is a ton you can see and do on each island. We lived in Hawaii for 18 years. I got a real thrill out of an island cruise however. It is incredibly cool to see the islands from the ocean and the cruise givrs you a flavor of each island in 7 days. I highly recommend it.

As for price? I wouldn't call it a super bargain, but it isn't bad. Nice cabin. Nice ship. $100/day x 14 days = $1400, + $300 in tips, +$50 dinner. I'd want to keep it all around $1750 - $1900.

$100/day x 14 days = $1400, + $300 in tips, +$50 dinner. I'd want to keep it all around $1750 - $1900.

Ha! Thanks- That's usually how we figure out if we're getting a deal. If we can sail for $100/day we're happy.

Now having said that, we've always done the Caribbean, and usually an inside cabin.... I just assumed Hawaii would be more expensive, and obviously a balcony cabin would be more... so is Celibrity +Hawaii + Balcony worth the price difference?

I'm inclined to think it's not a rip off, but sounds more like a fair deal than a great deal.

Now that i've got this idea in my head i'm getting excited about the thought of surprising my parents at Christmas- they'll be mad b/c they wont' want me to spend $ on them, I'll have to yell and make them accept it... end of the day everyone's happy and they get to go to Hawaii and sit on a balcony that they can afford, yet would never splurge on themselves.

Ahh, what to do... i'm all confused.

Ha! Thanks- That's usually how we figure out if we're getting a deal. If we can sail for $100/day we're happy.

Now having said that, we've always done the Caribbean, and usually an inside cabin.... I just assumed Hawaii would be more expensive, and obviously a balcony cabin would be more... so is Celibrity +Hawaii + Balcony worth the price difference?

I'm inclined to think it's not a rip off, but sounds more like a fair deal than a great deal.

Now that i've got this idea in my head i'm getting excited about the thought of surprising my parents at Christmas- they'll be mad b/c they wont' want me to spend $ on them, I'll have to yell and make them accept it... end of the day everyone's happy and they get to go to Hawaii and sit on a balcony that they can afford, yet would never splurge on themselves.

Ahh, what to do... i'm all confused.

In my opinion, I think you should book it!! What a GREAT Christmas gift. I wish I had children old enough to send ME on a cruise on Celebrity!!! Hawaii will be incredible! Your parents will love it! And you'll never regret giving them the memories!

Bon Voyage!

Karen

Archived