rccl vs ncl please help!!!

mziemke

I'm trying to decide between the norwegian sun on nccl or the jewel of seas which I'm already booked on. the itinerary on the sun is alot better but I'm not sure how the cruise lines compare to each other.:confused: :confused: I would be thankful for any help.

I've cruised NCL before and don't any more, although I couldn't put the reason into words... but I knew for sure I'd made the right decision when I read today that NCL named Rosie O'Donnell "godmom" of one of their ships. Think "if it weren't for low class, some people would have no class at all."

But, of course, as someone's signature here says, "the worse day on a cruise is better than the best day at work!" Whatever you choose, have fun!

Have our first RCI cruise scheduled in Dec. so can't do a comparison. Do know that anytime you cruise on older, smaller ships, there seem to be more complaints regardless of the cruiseline. Cruised on Carnival and NCL. The NCL Sun is our favorite ship yet, with Carnival Conquest a close second. We have our 2nd Sun cruise scheduled in Feb. The Sun has great food & activities, very clean & an excellent crew. We had absolutely no complaints. It's a very friendly ship & in researching can't find many complaints. Free style cruising is great, unless you're locked into traditional dining. We're enjoy both. Some NCL ships were not designed for free-style but the Sun was. Have a great cruise.

I have traveled both lines. The newer ships are very similar. I like freestyle so when I have a choice(price and itinerary) I go NCL. If you like traditional style RC is better. RC has better room service, Those who have traveled on NCL more than 3 years ago or the older ships shouldn't compare them in my opinion- its different now.

I have traveled both lines. The newer ships are very similar. I like freestyle so when I have a choice(price and itinerary) I go NCL. If you like traditional style RC is better. RC has better room service, Those who have traveled on NCL more than 3 years ago or the older ships shouldn't compare them in my opinion- its different now.

We've cruised both NCL and RCL this year. Last year's RCL was great, this year's was horrible - go figure. Since we're locked into NY/NJ departures only, we're off RCL until they move Explorer out and replace her.

We think we like the Freestyle aspect of NCL since it does allow us more personal freedom. We enjoyed the food on NCL (and RCL last year - not this year). We found NCL got a slight edge when it came to personalize service though.

We're not "into" shows, so we're not qualified to comment on that.

Liked the buffet on NCL much much much better than RCL (more "stations" and choices daily for lunch).

Liked the ship layout better on NCL. Liked the shopping better on RCL (but did a fair amount of "damage" on NCL too).

I'm not sure your embarkation ports. In NY, NCL won hands down over RCL in Bayonne (what a yucky embarkation experience for each of the two trips).

I would note that room service is subjective on NCL - it depends on cabin category. I know that the room service for suites is unbelievable!

Whichever you choose - just enjoy the cruise!

We've cruised both NCL and RCL this year. Last year's RCL was great, this year's was horrible - go figure. Since we're locked into NY/NJ departures only, we're off RCL until they move Explorer out and replace her.

We think we like the Freestyle aspect of NCL since it does allow us more personal freedom. We enjoyed the food on NCL (and RCL last year - not this year). We found NCL got a slight edge when it came to personalize service though.

We're not "into" shows, so we're not qualified to comment on that.

Liked the buffet on NCL much much much better than RCL (more "stations" and choices daily for lunch).

Liked the ship layout better on NCL. Liked the shopping better on RCL (but did a fair amount of "damage" on NCL too).

I'm not sure your embarkation ports. In NY, NCL won hands down over RCL in Bayonne (what a yucky embarkation experience for each of the two trips).

I would note that room service is subjective on NCL - it depends on cabin category. I know that the room service for suites is unbelievable!

Whichever you choose - just enjoy the cruise!

Actually I like Bayonne better as I drive and it's easier in Bayonne. I thought the buffets were better on RC. The regular room service on RC is far better as you can order off the dining room menu when the dining room is opened. You can't on NCL. Yes on NCL if you are in a suite with Butler service you can get what ever you want. You can see I prefer freestyle but RC is fine IMO just different. The shows on NCL were slightly better but again no so better as to be meaningful.

I'm trying to decide between the norwegian sun on nccl or the jewel of seas which I'm already booked on. the itinerary on the sun is alot better but I'm not sure how the cruise lines compare to each other.:confused: :confused: I would be thankful for any help.

My wife and I cruised on the NCL Sun last year, and on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas twice in years past (sister ship of the Jewel of the Seas). I would cruise again on either one in a heartbeat. Advantages of NCL: freestyle cruising (no set dining time), more food options such as the tapas bar and the dining room that caters to healthy eating. Advantages of RCCL: I thought the food in the formal dining rooms was slightly better than NCL, the entertainment was a little better, and the Solarium on the Radiance class ships is to die for! Bottom line: NCL and RCCL each offer something the other does not, so you can't go wrong with either.

One note: The Radiance is still my favorite ship ever (and I assume the Jewel is equally nice, since it is a Radiance class ship). Assuming you'll have another opportunity at the NCL Sun itinerary, I suggest you keep your Jewel reservation and enjoy the ship. Very elegant!

My very first cruise was on NCL ( over 25 yrs ago), my last cruise was on the Explorer, and I did a ctn on NCL in June. I know that one night isn't a week, but I think NCL is 'all about' the specialty restuarants, and just offering a limited menu in the main dining room.

Having cruised CCL and Princess, RCI is also ( and the others might be moving that way too) cutting down on the choices on the menu in the main dining room- a sad, sad move.

Bottom line, I was not impressed with NCL's food, and although RCI's is good, I found X and Princess offers better selections, and CCL too.

Other than that, NCL 'cooks' for live entertainment, RCI has more choices/ better quality.

Second bottom line- go for what pleases you. Itinerary, price, casual cruising etc

Seas the day!

1st 2 cruises were on RCL, but out 3rd and most recent cruise was on NCL. I thoroughly enjoyed both however, I found that RCL was more glitz and glamour. NCL was more economical. I found RCL food to be slightly better, but NCL was still very good. For the money, I think NCL was fantastic however I felt more like royalty on RCL. I would travel either line again, depending departure port and dates. NCL is more convenient traveling out of Boston, which was why we booked with them last time. We are going back to RCL for the next cruise in 2007 however. There is something about the ambiance that RCL has that NCL lacks.

We were once loyal NCL cruisers. We switched preferences....

Quality of food. Quality of service. Entertainment....etc,etc,etc,etc.

Also a major difference in the demogrpahics of the client base. No, I am not about to go into my opinion here....the flames would obfuscate the origianl question.

Always looked on it as a little below CCL and RCCL--then we took the new

Pride of America last December(Hawaii)

Loved the freestlye dining--the quality of food and choices of rooms.

The Liberty dining room is the prettiest we've ever seen--red, white and blue with mahogany.

Cabins a little smaller, but still nice.

Entertainment not quite on par, but good.

Small negative was hearing a lot of the Crew was unhappy (all US) and going to quit. I hear they have improved on this front.

Wouldn't hesitate going on one of the newer NCLs again.

We were once loyal NCL cruisers. We switched preferences....

Quality of food. Quality of service. Entertainment....etc,etc,etc,etc.

Our last NCL cruise was on the Norwegian Majesty and only because it sails out of Charleston.

We didn't like the ship at all but the food, entertainment and service were all significantly better than our last two Mariner of the Seas cruises.

We have preferred status on RCI and NCL and we feel no loyalty to either of them. Our next cruise will be on something different.

thank you to everyone who took the time to help me decide I'm leaning toward ncl because of the itinerary and most people I've heard from think theres not a whole lot differant between them. :cool:

Actually, there is one VERY BIG difference between these two ships, if not the two cruise lines in general. The Norwegian Sun will not offer you a fraction of the active recreational opportunities that the Jewel will. The Sun has a main (outdoor) pool area, kids wading pool, batting cage and 2 ping pong tables. The Jewel has the outdoor pool, solarium, jogging track, golf simulators, sports court, pool tables in the lounge, and of course the rock wall. If your itinerary is port-intensive, or if you aren't interested in this sort of stuff, you will not mind the difference. We have not sailed a Radiance-class, but the Sun is very comparable to the Monarch of the Seas (not even in the same league as the Mariner). The Sun is an attractive ship, well cared for and pleasant throughout, but much more like a floating (four star) hotel than a destination in it's self.

As has been stated here before, NCL is "all about the dining", and Freestyle is a pretty good idea (providing you're not dependant on the traditional "same table-mate" scenario to enhance your cruise experience). The downside is that the concept doesn't always work as "freely" as it could - the specialty veues are in high demand and you end up pretty much having to pin down your week's schedule to restaurant reservations on the first night. That said, however, we found the quality of the specialty places on the Sun to be superior to those of RCCL. We had one of the best meals of our lives in Il Adagio for $12 bucks a piece - still recalling it fondly a year later!

Also very important - the staff and crew on the Sun were bar none the friendliest, most hard working and genuinely hospitable people we have ever encountered. I was missing them BADLY on this year's Mariner trip!

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. Stage entertainment, nightlife and children's programs are neck and neck between the two lines (IMO) and it is true that on the Sun the cabins will be bigger.

Someone mentioned they were on NCL 25 yrs ago--25 yrs ago is no comparison to today-NCL had completely different mgmt--I went on NCL 10 yrs ago --one of my worst cruised -and then 3 years ago my best--Having said that I have been ob NCL my last 3 cruises and I am going to switch to RCCL for my next--NCL has cutdown on their service, qualilty and quantity of food-Our last cruise on NCL was 2/2006 and was very different than 9/2004 which was one of the best I ever went on-I guess I will be able to compare but many of my picky friends have been pleased with RCCl --I am sure, however I will miss choosing a different place to eat each night,which is the one advantage NCL has

I've cruised Majesty. I would not again. The freestyle dining was not my cup of tea. That being said, I've been told by some on NCL boards that the older ships were refit to do the freestyle and that because they were not originally designed that way it led to more problems.

I also had numerous cabin problems (water shut of 6 hours at a time, several mornings) that after 2 letters w/o a response form the cruise line tainted my impression of them.

I have been on 25 cruises and 15 different ships.

IMHO ever since NCL has gone to prepaid automatic tipping system, The service has dramatically gone down hill.

Between the two lines service, the edge to : RCCL

Food- trust me i found out thru a close sourse that NCL food is kept hours under heating lamps, You dont expect them to cook from 4:30 till 10:00pm do you. Ncl lobster was small and rubbery food edge big edge to RCCL

entertainment edge to RCCL

Friendlyness of crew: Big edge to RCCL

IMHO pick RCCL

and Celebrity over RCCL

Archived