ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

Yes Phil,

I remember the days of teddy bears etc... We have many of them. They had leather bears, beach bears etc... I still use one of those old black RSVP bags for my gym clothes. It's just the right size. We even got slinkys from them one year.

The thermometer on the cars dashboard read 2 degrees this morning. It better be warm in Florida when I get there Thursday afternoon......

For those in Ft lauderdale, please advise where I can book a bed warmer for the guest house I am staying at.......something is a furry number, bald or shaved head, and big enough to cover a king size bed....not a queen size mind you. LOL

By the way GregFl...you referred to your self as a daddy.....I think not. If you fall into the daddy category.......I guess I fall into the older than dirt section.

We old people need warmth......and chocolate, and bald headed bed warmers, and sunshine and chocolate and beverages with umbrellas and thick juicy steaks, and kosmos and chocolates and margaritas without salt and bears and chocolate.....or a chocolate covered bald headed bed warmer sipping on a Kosmo ...you get he idea. Boy do I need a vacation.

I had been repeatedly checking what I thought was RSVP's website for this cruise, looking for information on the activities and entertainers. Last week I thought it was a little alarming that there was still nothing posted.

I had been checking:

http://rsvp.net/gay-lesbian-vacations-cruise-4.htm

which still says:

Check back here for more information on activites and programing that will be announced as it becomes available.

It also looks like the ship is only about half booked.

Sometime between November and now they switched to a new site:

http://www.rsvpvacations.com/vacations/caribbean-fantasy/

which has all of the updated information.

They really should rewrite the first site so that it points to the updated pages. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was wondering if there was something up with this cruise.

Walter

Kip - not sure what kind of crowd you are looking for, but there have been two major bar changes in the last week here. Jackhammer merged into Steel - and Steel's location, and has been packing them in. Saturday night is "circuit" night though. Friday night is latin night (admirers more than welcome)... and Sunday is still their famous bearish T dance into the night (although all types are there since it's always fun). And Elements bar is gone. Scandals took over that location, and has become decidely "country"...but also packed on the weekends since opening. Saturday night was a lot of fun - and I am not a C/W boy. On the weekends, crowds start to thin around 1:30... And as Greg said, once it gets past 2am or so, it's just the youngsters who have any real options for a crowd. So anyone looking for Scandals, just follow any directions for Elements in the gay guides for FLL.

Walter - in case you did not find it, there's a link to a schedule of all the events on the "new" RSVP site. Just click on our cruise and on the event tab, at the very bottom, is a link to downloadable PDF file.

http://www.rsvpvacations.com/images/2007_Caribbean_Princess_Daily_Schedule.pdf

Phil - call Princess for your booking number - all they need is your cabin number and sail date. Sometimes they say they can't give it to you. Just call back until you get someone competent - because it is very easy for them to give it to you.

Christopher,

It really is a shame with your weather, with the good people in the alpine villages hurting. I've headed to Switzerland or Austria to go skiing for the past several years, but cancelled St Anton this year because there simply was no snow. What a peculiar year El Niño has brought us. It was 72 in New York on New Years, and more recently artic-like, with JetBlue planes frozen (for HOURS) to the tarmac. Hopefully there will be none of that when I depart for FLL on Sunday.

Walter

Well on this side of the world we continue to experience unseasonable warmth. The ski resorts are really suffering. It is not just the lack of snow falling but the fact that it has been hovering just above freezing point so they can't even make much snow.

I guess I should not complain in comparison to what most of you have been dealing with but it has been awfully grey here. So the sunshine is what I am really looking forward to seeing.

Christopher

JetBlue planes frozen (for HOURS) to the tarmac. Hopefully there will be none of that when I depart for FLL on Sunday.

I have been reading about the problems that JetBlue specifically has been having the since Wednesday. Crazy! I know that pages and pages ago on this thread there was a lot of discussion encouraging flying down from the Northeast due to good prices and flight directly into Fort Lauderdale. I sure hope that things iron themselves out soon for all that took this option.

I am sighing with relief that I changed my mind on the routing. I ususally fly Conitnental from Geneva into Newark and then connect where I am going. I opted for flight the connection on this side of the ocean this time and will fly from Milan into Miami. The weather reporters we have on this thread are predicting fair weather for the weekend so I feel confident I should not face delays.

I wish you and all others safe journies and no delays.

Christopher

Matt,

Thanks for the link. It's a pretty packed schedule! On my newbie cruise last year in Mexico, for the first few days I would pore over the schedule and plan my day to try to get everything in. It's amazing how on a cruise things can be so time intensive. 1:30 Bingo, 3:00 Massage, 4PM Steamroom, 6:45 seating. But then I came to realize that it was all good, and that vacationtime is better spent on Vacation Time, not Mountain Daylight Time, or whatever time zone the ship had passed into. Just as long as I didn't miss the massage, steamroom, and the last tender back to the ship!

Walter

Kip - not sure what kind of crowd you are looking for, but there have been two major bar changes in the last week here. Jackhammer merged into Steel - and Steel's location, and has been packing them in. Saturday night is "circuit" night though. Friday night is latin night (admirers more than welcome)... and Sunday is still their famous bearish T dance into the night (although all types are there since it's always fun). And Elements bar is gone. Scandals took over that location, and has become decidely "country"...but also packed on the weekends since opening. Saturday night was a lot of fun - and I am not a C/W boy. On the weekends, crowds start to thin around 1:30... And as Greg said, once it gets past 2am or so, it's just the youngsters who have any real options for a crowd. So anyone looking for Scandals, just follow any directions for Elements in the gay guides for FLL.

Walter - in case you did not find it, there's a link to a schedule of all the events on the "new" RSVP site. Just click on our cruise and on the event tab, at the very bottom, is a link to downloadable PDF file.

http://www.rsvpvacations.com/images/2007_Caribbean_Princess_Daily_Schedule.pdf

Phil - call Princess for your booking number - all they need is your cabin number and sail date. Sometimes they say they can't give it to you. Just call back until you get someone competent - because it is very easy for them to give it to you.

Walter - FYI - there is a "thermal suite" on this ship. You pay something like $79 for the week, and it has those warm stone beds, the rainforest showers, steam things, etc... I have heard conflicting reports on whether the locker areas have both steam and sauna, or just one of those (sauna) (which of course would be free). You sign up for it the first day at the spa if you want the thermal suite.

For those doing the Cubby Hole - beartrapprr just posted this on their Yahoo message area:

Here are the closest details we can tell you about concerning the Bon Voyage Part Next Saturday. Since people are coming from all parts of the country and weather being what it is throughout the country all we can do is mention a starting time, we will keep the party going until at least 11. try to arrive close to 7 if possible,

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 24th, Starting 7 pm Till at least 11 pm. Caribbean Fantasy Pre Cruise/Bon Voyage Party.

Videos playing on the monitors from past RSVP Cruises (These are a blast) Drink specials (2-4-1) for all cruisers. We will be giving out Name tags for this, also you should have received a RSVP Pin with your docs, why not wear that as well.

There will be light snacks out on the bar, chips etc.

RSVP Comedian Danny Williams will be at the bar too. He's a great funny guy as past cruisers will attest to.

Info on the Cubby Hole may be found at http://www.thecubbyhole.com.

<http://www.thecubbyhole.com>Directions are there too. Our local phone is 954-728-9001. As it is everywhere in Fort Lauderdale, parking is at a premium. We have our own lot at the end of the block but it fills quickly, our doorman will advise you where to park if it is full. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, please CAB IT. We recommend Intercity, which is 954 333.3333. They are very gay friendly and several of their drivers are family too.

Dan of Dan Howell travel will be at the party as well to answer any and all of your questions.

If you want to go elsewhere in town we will be happy to give you all the local information and directions, with a smile too.

For those staying in town after the cruise, mention to the bartenders that you were on it, we will honor the 2-4-1 all week. Five of our staff members are going on the cruise too.

SEE YOU ALL SATURDAY ARRIVE SAFELY.

I'm down to one more day of work! I didn't think I would make it. I cant wait to see you all onboard!

I wish we could make the Bon Voyage party but after a 12 hour drive I don't think we will feel like it.

I will be finishing up the directory tonight so any last minute additions send me your photo, name and cabin number to timhyatt@bellsouth.net

Funny how my mood at work is improving the closer I get to vacation!

Matt,

I was on the Diamond Princess in Mexico. The deckplan shows the layout of the spas of the Diamond to be identical to the Caribbean. The locker areas have muy caliente saunas and steamy steamrooms. I checked out the thermal suite and wasn't impressed. Tepid steam, weak aromatherapy, and bored people stuck in the suite trying to get their $79 worth!

Walter

Walter - FYI - there is a "thermal suite" on this ship. You pay something like $79 for the week, and it has those warm stone beds, the rainforest showers, steam things, etc... I have heard conflicting reports on whether the locker areas have both steam and sauna, or just one of those (sauna) (which of course would be free). You sign up for it the first day at the spa if you want the thermal suite.

Walter is right....both the men's and women's locker rooms have steam and dry sauna and are free....also due to the small # of women onboard they generally open up the women's area to men and schedule a "women's only" time period for a couple of hours each day when the men cannot use the women's facilities.....if you pay the additional fee you have access to the stone beds, aroma showers and 2 aroma steam rooms....in my opinion they are over rated and as the staff seldom checks to see who has paid and who has not, it seemed a waste of my money on the Diamond back in Oct/Nov....a mistake i will not make on this trip.

Thanks for the link. It's a pretty packed schedule! On my newbie cruise last year in Mexico, for the first few days I would pore over the schedule and plan my day to try to get everything in. It's amazing how on a cruise things can be so time intensive. 1:30 Bingo, 3:00 Massage, 4PM Steamroom, 6:45 seating. But then I came to realize that it was all good, and that vacationtime is better spent on Vacation Time, not Mountain Daylight Time, or whatever time zone the ship had passed into. Just as long as I didn't miss the massage, steamroom, and the last tender back to the ship!

Walter

I know what you mean Walter.... too much to try to do.

My problem is all the things I want/need to get done in Fort Lauderdale between arrival on Saturday afternoon and boarding on Sunday.... and still undecided as to when I want to attempt that. I hate standing around in crowds but am always so anxious to get onboard I tend to want to be early. Oh the dilemma.

Matt: Any chance of there being a 24 hour Wal-Mart in the Wilton Manors area that I could do someof my shopping at 2 am once booted out of the cubby hole or alibi or wherever?

Christopher

I'm getting excited.

I still have nothing to do after arriving at FLL on the redeye from L.A. at 5:00 a.m. I called the Inn Leather. They will give a day pass, but nobody is up that early in the morning. I guess that I will just hang out at the airport until I transfer to the cruise terminal.

How early do you think I can arrive at the cruise terminal? 10:00 a.m. or so?

The closest walmart is at 441 and oakland park blvd which is about 4 miles west of 95.....there are 24 hour walgreens and cvs's in the wilton manors area tho

as for time to get to the port...no point in going before 11am as security will not let you in the port entrance til after 11am anyhow....

Christopher,

According to walmart.com, the closest 24 hour Walmart to Wilton Manors, zip code 33305 is:

Wal-Mart Store #1517

300 West Copans Road

Pompano Beach, FL 33064

(954) 784-0220

7.28 miles

Walter

I know what you mean Walter.... too much to try to do.

My problem is all the things I want/need to get done in Fort Lauderdale between arrival on Saturday afternoon and boarding on Sunday.... and still undecided as to when I want to attempt that. I hate standing around in crowds but am always so anxious to get onboard I tend to want to be early. Oh the dilemma.

Matt: Any chance of there being a 24 hour Wal-Mart in the Wilton Manors area that I could do someof my shopping at 2 am once booted out of the cubby hole or alibi or wherever?

Christopher

Thanks to both Greg and Walter....

as soon as I pressed send I realized I should have addressed that to you as well Greg and all others in the area.

CVS is also on my list for shopping for some items I can't get over here so that may be left until the wee hours of the morning. Strangely I miss being able to go out shopping in the middle of the night sometimes. All stores are closed here by 7 PM, 6 on Saturdays and closed altogether on Sunday...I am in the 5th largest city in the country as well.

Thanks again guys.

Christopher

Sorry, selected the wrong one...

Even closer, and a Supercenter, no less is:

Wal-Mart Supercenter

2300 West Atlantic Blvd

Pompano Beach, FL 33069

5.57 miles

Christopher,

According to walmart.com, the closest 24 hour Walmart to Wilton Manors, zip code 33305 is:

Wal-Mart Store #1517

300 West Copans Road

Pompano Beach, FL 33064

(954) 784-0220

7.28 miles

Walter

Hopefully the chocolate stores will be open there before you leave! ;) Lindt hazelnut pralines?

Thanks to both Greg and Walter....

as soon as I pressed send I realized I should have addressed that to you as well Greg and all others in the area.

CVS is also on my list for shopping for some items I can't get over here so that may be left until the wee hours of the morning. Strangely I miss being able to go out shopping in the middle of the night sometimes. All stores are closed here by 7 PM, 6 on Saturdays and closed altogether on Sunday...I am in the 5th largest city in the country as well.

Thanks again guys.

Christopher

Hey all,

It's sunny and 70 degrees here in Dallas, so this will help in packing for the trip. I hate packing for a cruise when it's cold.....shorts are the LAST thing on my mind!

Also, since Danny will be at the Cubby Hole party, I'll cover the Georgi's party. Pick your party, pick your host :) Sister Helen won't be at Georgi's....she has to go to bed early for church service the next morning.

See y'all soon!

Paul J. Williams

www.pauljwilliams.com

Ok, cut off time for the directory will be 7:00 eastern. This is the last chance to send me out your photo, email etc... if you want to be included. timhyatt@bellsouth.net

I'll email the directory to everyone sometime tonight. Let me know if there are any errors or changes and I'll send updates.

Yours Truly,

Directory **** :)

guys......gang......greetings from fort lauderdale..........

the temp tonight will dip..........60 ish.........LOL

no big whoop!!.......

by wed, the afternoon temp is back into the 80's.........

welcome to balmy, glorious, south florida.....and it will stay that way thru sunday............according to the weathermen.........(ya know, the guessers)...........it's freakin winter........and WE WIN!!!!!!!!!.......lol......

so bring shorts, thongs........(the feet kind........ya know........flip flops)...

t-shirts...tanks......sarongs..........and thongs..........(yeah, that kind too)

get ready to rumble.......semi-naked......til the ship......and then.....????

can you tell i'm excited???????

david

Archived