Need some information and advice for Puntarenas

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

We'll be sailing on Mercury over Christmas this year and one of our stops is Puntarenas. Last year we were in Puerto Limon and really enjoyed Charlie Soto's tour. It really was a lot of fun. Since we've already done the rain forest, etc., we are trying to come up with different ideas for our day in Puntarenas.

Does anyone know how far San Jose, the captial city of Costa Rica, is from the cruise terminal? Would it be worth taking such a tour?

How far are the beaches from the Cruise terminal? How does one get to the different beaches near Puntarenas?

Thanks so much for your assistance :)

Teri

Hi everyone,

We'll be sailing on Mercury over Christmas this year and one of our stops is Puntarenas. Last year we were in Puerto Limon and really enjoyed Charlie Soto's tour. It really was a lot of fun. Since we've already done the rain forest, etc., we are trying to come up with different ideas for our day in Puntarenas.

Does anyone know how far San Jose, the captial city of Costa Rica, is from the cruise terminal? Would it be worth taking such a tour?

How far are the beaches from the Cruise terminal? How does one get to the different beaches near Puntarenas?

Teri

Hi Teri,

Unpacking (finally) I found a card I got from a very nice lady on the Puntarenas pier. She approached us while we were waiting for the late arrivals to Chalie's tour. I believe she is either the owner or part owner of the amazing tours company in Costa Rica. She speaks very good English and she was very well dressed! She had a walkie talkie with her so I am not sure if she was just dispatching people to awaiting bus or if she will be leading the tour? I know some operators likes to fill up their bus before they go to maximize the number of people for their tour. In any case it may be worthwhile for you to contact her as well as Charlie to see what the options are. It's always nice to have competitions and options!!!

Her name is Jessica Benavides www.amazingtourscr.com I can't find any reviews on her tour company. May be someone will respond with a review.

Re: San Jose, I think it's a couple of hours drive! You will be taking MORE of a chance due to potential traffic delays. If you are thinking of seeing San Jose I recommend going with the excursion from the ship.

Re: beaches, there are no good swimming beaches that we saw near Puntarenas. See my photo album.

Other places in Costa Rica we wouldn't mind seeing when we have a chance: one of the cloud forests, the volcano, the waterfalls and warm springs. http://www.arenal.net/la-fortuna-waterfall-costa-rica.htm http://www.costaricauncovered.com/pictures-waterfalls.htm Seeing these places requires traveling LONG distances and going through some bad roads. For these tours I would feel more comfortable taking cruise excursions. However, I think we may enjoy them more holiday that spans days in Costa Rica vs. just a drive in and out.

Charlie's tours are on a route that is pretty straight, well paved and relatively short distance from Puntarenas - there is less chance of road troubles and you will get back to the ship on time. We had a non rushed tour with Charlie.

Charlie will bring you to many places other than the rain forest. I think the Pura Vida Gardens is another optional stop for Charlie - just email him and ask. http://www.puravidagardensandwaterfalls.com/ I think you will have a nice day with him even if you don't do any extra tours. It was enjoyable just hanging out with him and eating Costa Rican seafood at the beach side restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I did the Sarchi Shopping Tour in Puntarenas and it was very nice. It is about 5.5 hours long--the drive there is 1.5 hours--1.5 hours to shop and/or eat--short visit in small town called Grecia--1.5 hours home. The shop is large and sells the painted oxcarts, as well as other native products. I bought a nice wood necklace and bracelet for $15. The ride is beautiful as you see the mountains, coffee and sugar cane fields. It was a very nice relaxing tour.

There is a beach at the port, but on the day I was there the water looked pretty murky--I would not swim there.

If you have any questions please let me know. Jan

Hi everyone,

Teri

We spent part of our day at the Punta Leona resort which is about 45 min. to 1 hr. from the port. They have 3 beaches. Check out their website. I'm not sure if they have transportation as we used another company and this was just one of our stops.

• 1 month later...

Archived