is it worth driving for?

foneguy

Several thoughts, some of them contradictory:

Could you choose a cruise leaving from Port Canaveral instead of Miami? That'd cut off at least three hours of driving, and that's a significant amount.

Any chance of renting /borrowing a car that gets better than 17 MPG? My Honda gets 40 MPG on the interstate, so I could drive 2600 miles on 65 gallons. At $3/gallon (and gas is down to $2.09 here), that's less than $200 total fuel costs.

This is a long trip; you'll probably need a hotel room, and you'll stop for a couple meals -- don't forget to factor those things into your cost equation. If you're driving, you'll definitely need to come in a day ahead of time "just in case". Too many things can happen on the road, and it's cheap insurance to make sure you won't miss the boat. Realistically, you need two days each way for this drive. Are you okay to be away from work this long?

If you're driving, don't forget that you'll need to pay to park your car at the port (and that can be more than $100) OR you'll need to choose a hotel near the port that allows you to park for free while you're on the cruise (and that pretty much eliminates the $49/night Days Inn).

On the other hand, if you fly, you'll need ground transportation to the port -- don't forget to include that in your total cost.

What kind of packers are you? If you like to pack heavy, you'll be able to bring as much as you like by driving. No need to hassle with suitcase weight and what can go through security.

Are your kids good car riders? Mine are great -- I've been training them since toddlerhood -- and I'd do this drive without a second thought. My kids put a great deal of thought into their "fun bags", and I buy them a couple new books before any long trip. They are wonderful in the car. However, on scout trips I've encountered kids who can't ride around the corner without movies, snacks, and other entertainment; I couldn't stomach a long drive with some of those spoiled brats!

Personally, I'd plan to drive. but I'd keep my eyes open for a super deal on airfare. I'm always surprised by people who get these super-cheap rates though; we NEVER see cheap airfare in our area. $1800 is a great deal of money to me.

Everytime we book a cruise - I think to myself - we should probably drive to save on airfare. Well - we live in the middle of NC so it isn't quite as far for us - but I seem so tired when I get off the ship from everything I do that I would hate to start a long drive after getting off. I think we would all be grouchy. It would really depend on the age of the kids too. Mine at 11 and 13 - I personally don't think I want to spend that much time with them in the car.

My kids were trained to travel and we would choose the car anytime to save that kind of money. We love to cruise but rarely are able to plan ahead enough to get good air deals out of Oklahoma. We drive at least once a year, stay at a hotel that allows us to leave our car and provides a shuttle. It is always my quest to spend as little as possible on transportation so that we can cruise a couple of times each year. I would watch for a great air deal, and in the mean time, plan on driving.

My husband travels for a living, so is used to being in the car and prefers that to flying. It seems that every time he has to fly, there is some delay or cancelled flight and he wishes for his car!

Some of our fondest memories are trips we have made to Florida for a cruise. Port Canaveral is the best, but we are bound for Miami in December.:)

There is nothing like a cruise!!! ENJOY:) :)

K

Assuming you are coming through Georgia to get to Florida, be sure and check out www.georgia-navigator.com . It gives you up to date construction status and delays and major accidents. For example, if you are going down I-75, there is major construction in south Georgia. The site can give you updated delays. You can also call *DOT on the cell once you get into Georgia and the agent can help you find alternate routes.

Just an FYI if you drive. Enjoy your cruise!

Not only do you have to include fuel but what about food. I would think that the food bill round trip and motels would chew up most of the 1800 . What about G_D forbid a breakdown of your vehicule en-route. That would be dissaterous. Im Sorry but when it comes to Vacation I dont care how much the bill is to fly or anything else ,I go the easiest way.

IMHO dont get me wrong its just my thinking. If i have to scrimp on any part of my vacation then i wait untill i can afford to do it properly.

There are just too many things that can go wrong with driving that far to meet a ship.

Breakdown

Accident

weather

murphy's Law(If anything can go wrong it will)

If i were you i'd FLY.

We live in SW Missouri and have driven down several times. You do need to factor in a hotel room each way, but I really don't think extra food/hotel/gas will come up to $1800. It's really not a bad drive.

I've actually had more problems when we fly down than when we drive. My luggage always gets there when I drive. I leave when I want to, not when the airline wants to. If there's bad weather in Denver, it does not delay my travel to Florida.

If you don't mind driving (I never do) then I'd say go for it.

thank you all for great input, we have been watching the air fares, right now we are book to fly through rccl with xfrs, usa 3000 only flies tues, wed, thurs in / out of cle, so they are out.....basically eating is on the run kids are very good in the truck/ car, you know dvd's ps2 going on and they get to spleep, we would drive my camery....but its a 93 and it may break down, so we must drive the truck crew cab 4x4 dodge 04, 1500.......yea it's got a HEMI.....:D:D

again thank you all for the ideas ill look into columbus

You might try checking out flights from Columbus Jet Blue is now flying out of Columbus, and can have cheap flights.

Good luck

bld16...i must thank you personally....i looked up jet blue and indeed found the round trip flight for under 900$$$ WOW so like you said goodbye car hello jet blue.....funny i showed this to my wife, and my son, 11, is sooo excited because the layover is at jfk or laguardia where extreem builders did a show on jet blues new terminal......Thank you....scott the foneguy:)

bld16...i must thank you personally....i looked up jet blue and indeed found the round trip flight for under 900$$$ WOW so like you said goodbye car hello jet blue.....funny i showed this to my wife, and my son, 11, is sooo excited because the layover is at jfk or laguardia where extreem builders did a show on jet blues new terminal......Thank you....scott the foneguy:)
Okay, so now there's no question! Even I wouldn't drive that far, pay for a couple hotel nights and meals to for the slight price difference you're talking about. Glad it worked out this way for you.

Okay, so now there's no question! Even I wouldn't drive that far, pay for a couple hotel nights and meals to for the slight price difference you're talking about. Glad it worked out this way for you.

no offence but a thousand dollars is enough to make me drive to austrailia!!!lol:eek: i will suffer an awful lot to save a grand....but now as i add in taxes and a hotel we are back to square 1, but still getting cheaper that im down to about 1600$ FROM 1800$ ....IT'S ONLY MONEY .......RIGHT????!!!!!:cool:

That's one of the problems with SWA - not releasing prices far enough in advance. It forces you to take a chance that the price you'll get when they get around to releasing prices will be better than current prices from other airlines.

And, maybe it's just my luck, but I don't think I've gotten what I would consider a good deal from SWA since 1998! With the exception of flights to Vegas.

Two weeks ago, we flew to Orlando on SWA because I had a $1000 credit which was about to expire from last year. After our flight and almost every other SWA flight for the day was delayed, rerouted or rescheduled, I'll NEVER fly SWA again unless it literally is my last option available (and it wasn't weather related--the weather was beautiful--SWA called it "equipment maintenance"--on that many planes?? :confused: I call it inconveniencing passengers because their flights weren't full enough to suit them). We were supposed to leave Orlando at 11:00 am--instead, we didn't leave until 4:00 pm, leaving me with two inpatient teenagers who had packed all of their entertainment in their checked bags and had nothing to do for 5 hours except B*tch, whine & complain (and fight with each other)--AHHHHH!!! :eek::eek::eek: I've flown for many, many years, both domestically and internationally, so I know that delays are many times a part of air travel, but I've never had a travel day like this! :rolleyes:

We live in Northern WV, an hour south of Pittsburgh Pa, and we drove to Port Canaveral Fl in May.

I like driving the country and it is a good thing as honey wont fly.

We have driven to Fl a couple of times, and even Yellowstone Nat'l Park/Grand Teton Mountains. I always enjoy road trips and feel like a little kid when I hop in and buckle up. It is so exciting to me. :o

Your trip is doable, although Cleveland to Miami is def a little longer. ;)

If you Motel 6 it the way down and back, it should be worth your money. But that entirely depends on you and what you feel is important.

I am all for scrimping so I can spurge on the "real deal"

And, maybe it's just my luck, but I don't think I've gotten what I would consider a good deal from SWA since 1998! With the exception of flights to Vegas.

Yep, there are not that many good deals on SWA out of Little Rock except to Texas, and occasionally Las Vegas and St. Louis, plus their flight times from Little Rock won't work for cruises out of most ports.

Two weeks ago, we flew to Orlando on SWA because I had a $1000 credit which was about to expire from last year. After our flight and almost every other SWA flight for the day was delayed, rerouted or rescheduled, I'll NEVER fly SWA again unless it literally is my last option available (and it wasn't weather related--the weather was beautiful--SWA called it "equipment maintenance"--on that many planes?? :confused: I call it inconveniencing passengers because their flights weren't full enough to suit them). We were supposed to leave Orlando at 11:00 am--instead, we didn't leave until 4:00 pm, leaving me with two inpatient teenagers who had packed all of their entertainment in their checked bags and had nothing to do for 5 hours except B*tch, whine & complain (and fight with each other)--AHHHHH!!! :eek::eek::eek: I've flown for many, many years, both domestically and internationally, so I know that delays are many times a part of air travel, but I've never had a travel day like this! :rolleyes:

So how did the tournament go?

Assuming you are coming through Georgia to get to Florida, be sure and check out www.georgia-navigator.com . It gives you up to date construction status and delays and major accidents. For example, if you are going down I-75, there is major construction in south Georgia. The site can give you updated delays. You can also call *DOT on the cell once you get into Georgia and the agent can help you find alternate routes.

Just an FYI if you drive. Enjoy your cruise!

That's a great site. We're in SC and drive through GA a couple of times a year to visit relative in FL. Thanks for posting!

no offence but a thousand dollars is enough to make me drive to austrailia!!!lol:eek: i will suffer an awful lot to save a grand....but now as i add in taxes and a hotel we are back to square 1, but still getting cheaper that im down to about 1600$ FROM 1800$ ....IT'S ONLY MONEY .......RIGHT????!!!!!:cool:

Yeah, but extra time not spent on both ends of the trip is worth the $, Now you can work on finding a less expensive hotel! And remember you don't have to pay to park, stay at a hotel with a free shuttle and cut down on cost even more.

PS, I still haven't told my DH that We are flying, he still thinks we are driving. I guess I'll just "Drive" to the airport!

Archived