What I wish I knew before taking my first cruise...

Mountainveiw

Bring from home; nightlight to plug in somewhere [ dressing room?/Bathroom] "stick'em notes" in bright pink [easily seen] Scissors - small and fingernail clippers. A GOOD book to read for fun! Have a GREAT time- The NOORDAM is a gorgeous ship!!!!

The very best thing you can bring on a cruise is a happy cat attitude! It just about kills me to see people who by definition are among the most privileged on the planet grousing and poisioning their own potential enjoyment. Honestly. Here you are on a beautiful ship eating amazing food and visiting wonderful places and all you can do is gripe that the cream of wheat could be hotter? How about the people who'd think it was a blessing to have any breakfast at all ...

I think this is true of all travel, but particularly of cruising where people tend to spend so much time planning and studying. Things will go wrong. With the right attitude you may find some of the mishaps end up being the most memorable things. So don't expect perfect 100% of the time, be patient, bring a positive attitude and some flexibility, and you will come home with wonderful memories and the desire to go on another cruise a.s.a.p. If you're in a group of people (waiting to tender, embark, whatever) and the mood is impatient and grouchy, refuse to get caught up in it and remind yourself that it's worth a little waiting to have this great experience (geez, i've waited longer for things like dental work and shots that weren't nearly as enjoyable as a cruise vacation)!

Specifically:

1. They are not kidding about overpacking - even if you think you're underpacking you will bring too much! In warmer climates you'll wear a swimsuit much of the day, and can get by with a pair of shorts, a pair of khaki pants and a couple of tops. Exception: Alaska - bring on the layers, summer is a relative thing! Do bring a sweater or windbreaker so you can enjoy being on deck in the evening (can be cool even in the caribbean).

2. Do yourself a huge favor and fly in the day before! We live in the Seattle area and once thought - oh no big deal, it's only a short flight to San Diego to get on a cruise leaving at 5 p.m., and we're flying at the crack of dawn ... then they announce a delay ... then a mechanical problem ... i'm becoming more anxious by the minute -- who needs that? (We made it in time but ... I've seen people literally in a panic to get on an overbooked flight or hysterical because of weather related delays - never again.)

3. Remember that the crew are working like dogs, so be kind, friendly and understanding - the same person who saw you out of the diningroom at 10 p.m. is likely to be serving eggs at 6 a.m.

4. Be adventurous - try some exotic appetizer and if you don't like it, get something else.

5. Relax - there is always something to do on board, but sometimes the best thing to do is nothing - like watching for flying fish in the bow spray!

6. Use this great resource to find out what people enjoyed the most but be ready to enjoy your experience even if it isn't exactly the same. Ask people (fellow passengers, staff) if you have questions or don't know the ropes - don't be the person who is bitter on the last day because they just found out you can get dinner brought to your room.

7. Know that a lot of the places cruise ships visit are poor and tourism is often one of the few ways people can make money to support themselves and their families. To me that means be patient with vendors and offers and simply learn to say no thank you in whatever language your host country speaks (or a smile and a no thank you shake of the head) even if it is a bit trying to be asked for the 12th time about buying a bracelet or whatever if you don't want it. They are persistent because it is essential to their livelihood. You are economically blessed. Be aware of that and be patient and kind. For me that also means spreading the good fortune around. I might make a counter offer where haggling is expected, but I'm not going to push for a rock bottom price. And I give big tips to everyone who provides any service.

8. On a related note, be aware when it isn't appropriate to go around in shorts or swimsuits in town or parts of town (i.e. churches), and if you see signs of poverty be polite and don't make comments aloud, point or whisper - respect the dignity of people doing the best they can in bad economic circumstances. I know it sounds obvious, but you wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen from no doubt well-meaning tourists who seem to have forgotten that these are real people (like shouting at a bus driver to "go" when he stopped for a funeral procession and then taking pictures -- cringe).

9. Take some motion sickness meds with you even if you have a cast iron stomach. It takes an act of Congress to make me toss my cookies, and even I have felt a little green in relatively calm seas and was thankful for dramamine!

10. Enjoy every second of your time, because it will go by way too fast!

Remember to keep your patience. It IS a cruise and it IS a luxury, but nothing is perfect. There will be a few glitches here and there, and hopefully they will be small ones. Overlook them.

In port, avoid avoid avoid all the mob-mentality shopping. If you WANT souvenirs, look outside the main tourist drag and look for something made locally. Especially in Alaska. There, you can find all sorts of small art boutiques selling locally made arts and crafts, which beats the heck out of overpriced "on sale" jewelry imported from China.

I don't know if this is still the case in Mexico, I'll find out in March, but when we were there for our honeymoon in '93, we got vouchers for a freebie at a certain store. We went. We got "marked" with free beads just for walking in the door, looped around our necks like a lei in Hawaii. Don't let yourself be marked so obviously as a cruise-tourist.

Enjoy the food! If you watch your weight (like I do) fill up on the salads at the lunch buffet then eat what you like at dinner in the dining room. And try to walk EVERYWHERE aboard ship.

And bring comfy walking shoes for port.:)

Don't overplan or overschedule - if you overplan and there's a glitch, you'll only be disappointment; if you overschedule you'll only wind up exhausted. Take each day as the special day that it is - whether it's a sea day, sailing into a port as the dawn breaks, or sitting on deck watching the world go by. Savor each moment, don't stress and realize that you will return from your vacation hooked on cruising.

Thanks for the kind words, Karin!

If they start serving garlic ice cream, I could get my dad to go on a cruise in a heartbeat!

Following my own advice, if they do serve wasabi (love the wasabi) and chocolate ice cream, I'd have to be adventurous and try it (at least once) - and if it's yucky it will make a good story and a laugh!

I'm about to go on my first cruise (Noordam Dec. 16), but I've been planning for so long I have my OWN "I wish I knew" list :)

1. Never pay in full before the final payment date. ALWAYS just make a deposit.

2. Shop around.

3. Keep an eye on the final price you booked with. Prices fluxuate.

4. Monitor CC to see how others are doing. When you are able to meet some its like meeting a long lost family member.

5. Double, Triple, and Quadruple check EVERYTHING (Dining times, shore excursions, prices, and docs.)

btw, I just tried to check prices for my sailing and the HAL website says there are no bookings available :D

Happycat...

What a wonderful post! So very, very true. I have never had a bad cruise. In fact, I've enjoyed all of them very much. They may not all have been perfect, but usually nothing is. If you are determined to enjoy yourself, then you will. If you are determined to find fault in something, then you will accomplish that too.:)

My $00.02:

1. Shop around aggressively for pricing. The same cabin is selling lots of other places at much different prices. Be smart and don't take the first price you see. Seriously.

2. If you don't live within a few hours' drive of the departure port, for heaven's sake, arrange to arrive there a full day early. I can't tell you the number of folks we've known who missed the sailaway of the ship because they opted to fly in the day of departure and got stuck in Chicago, Atlanta, Dulles, etc, and couldn't get to the ship. That seems foolish to me and a horrible way to kick off a well deserved vacation. Spring for the overnight expense in a hotel and enjoy the departure port that evening. That way, your vacation begins a day early and you're stressfree the day of departure.

We went on a 7 day cruise in June a few years ago to the Western Caribbean. It rained EVERYDAY... We still had fun. We met more people then ever before and ate way to much food. Everyone just laughed and said we might as well eat. So you make the best of a situation and never have a bad cruise!!!! I agree with enjoy every minute because it will be over before you know it. Happy Cruising

Archived