Destiny Oct 22- 29

Bigmikeh

We cruised from Sunday, 10/22 thru Sunday, 10/29, out of San Juan, P.R. on the Carnival Destiny

Let me start out by saying we have been on 6 cruises in 4 years on four different cruise lines and Carnival would have to be at the bottom of the list.

I went on this cruise hoping that all the reviews I had read were wrong, I had an open mind and to tell the truth some of the things that others have posted were quite apparent and some were totally off the wall.

I was just reading the review from HDBIKE and that hits the nail on the head. You always felt that this cruise was geared for Puerto Ricans. They catered to them and they were Carnivals number one concern. I use as an example we were a two couples, went to the Captains Gala, when we walked in we were given a drink each, we sat there for a hour and a half and never got another drink offered to us, we tried several times to get a waiter to come to our table but were told were busy someone will bring you one, But sitting three tables away were a table of 8 Puerto Ricans, we watched 3 waiter drop off trays full of drinks at that table, There were so many glasses at the table that they had to put some on the floor.

What I didn’t notice was Puerto Ricans being rude like so many have said. I found it more they other way around. Found rudeness coming from all nationalities. Yes this cruise had a lot of rude people on it, but I would say another nationality over whelmed the rudeness, found the PR people to be friendly. I could give many examples about this.

I feel that the food was not up to par with other cruise lines (Princess) We didn’t like the buffet at all, the burgers had a funny taste to me but the Chicken was great, we did enjoy the Deli and the Pizza was OK. My BIL loved the 24 Hour Ice Cream and used it often.

Entertainment was great, enjoyed it all.

Always found the Cruise Staff to be friendly and helpful. But not like on other cruise did I feel that someone really went the extra mile to give a lasting impression, service was always with a smile. We have always found someone that we gave a extra tip too, not on this cruise. Stateroom attendant was never to be seen, room was OK. HOT had to keep curtain closed or room was unbearable. Would say that the waiter was the only one that I felt like didn’t really want to be there. We would sit long period of time between courses with no water, always forgot condiments like sour cream for potato, Cheese for pasta and so forth. Was not really personable till the last night.

I Love the ports and they made this cruise for us.

Overall rating on a scale of 1 to 10 would be FOOD 5 Entertainment 8 Staff 7 Ports 10. Would I go on this Cruise again YES, just not with Carnival. Did I have a good time YES, I wasn’t working and I was with my dear Wife for 8 total days. Was my problems with the Puerto Ricans people NO, it was with Carnival.

Good, balanced review! We considered doing this itinerary because of the ports, and decided we just didn't want to take a chance. Too many concerns like your own. DH grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in Chicago so that would have been no big deal at all - it's the issues that CARNIVAL has control over and seems to do nothing about that concern us. Glad you had a good attitude about it all. And like you say, a day away from work with your loved one is always a great day! :D

What I didn’t notice was Puerto Ricans being rude like so many have said. Yes this cruise had a lot of rude people on it, but I would say another nationality over whelmed the rudeness, found the PR people to be friendly. I could give many examples about this. .

I know what you are talking about, we found the PR's to be very nice and the other nationality to be very rude, we just stayed clear of them and had a great time, i agree to ports are a 10.

Archived