Carnival Crewmembers

DJ Eddy

DJ EDDY...are you a tall blonde guy? I think you may have been helping Tina with the disembarkation last April.

no that wasn't me, I have brown hair and I have never debark... I have worked Cozumel tenders though... and that was enough lol

Welcome aboard DJ Eddy. So glad to have you here.

I for one think the staff do a tremendous job. Some of the hardest working folks I ever met. Heck, that's why we keep coming back. I was so impressed that I personally wrote Uncle Bob last May and suggested you all get a raise. He wrote back too. Hope you got it ;) . Thanks for all your great service from all of us faithful cruisers.

Hi everyone,

I have cruised on three carnival cruises and i have to say that i am very happy with the crew and staff at carnival. Everyone was polite, friendly, and willing to help and it was all levels of crewmembers. I really had a great time this recent one (Glory 10-21-06). The wait staff of Chris and Chon was fantastic and I hope to have them again next year on Freedom since they are going over there next year. The entertainment staff was great with Dana as cruise director and Amanda in the trivia games. I would like to hear from crew members about their experience. Hopefully soon I can be part of a crew on a boat or even in the reservations department. Carnival has shown me that they are a great company and they are growing strong. Three new ships within a 3 year span and getting bigger and better. My hats off to all crewmembers of all the ships, all reservations staff that my fiance and friends bug all the time looking for rate changes:) . Carnival has a loyal cruiser in me and trying to get more people to cruise only with Carnival.

Pam G

Well guys, I did introduce myself previously in another thread. I did find it funny that you looked up "slated", it's just a saying that I use quite regularly but you guys don't seem to have heard of it before lol.

I have heard of passengers talking badly about crewmembers on here was my meaning in the first post, I have seen a couple of people in tears after reading comments posted on here. For this reason my CD & ACD advised us not to go onto this website as something posted on here may upset us. I'm as hard as nails so I can take it if anyone slates me lol but in all seriousness I wanted to join so that I can give a crewmember's point of view, especially a crewmember from a different country.

I have noticed though that there are a few other crewmembers who post on here and I think that's a good thing. That way any complaint, incident or question we may be able to shed some light on.

Hay Eddy, From one crew member to another, hello!!

I am a Backlounge Tech that just came off the Valor and will be headding to the Legend in Jan.

I heard the warnings about this site too but here I am!!!

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Happy Cruising!!

James

Hay Eddy, From one crew member to another, hello!!

I am a Backlounge Tech that just came off the Valor and will be headding to the Legend in Jan.

I heard the warnings about this site too but here I am!!!

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Happy Cruising!!

James

Well.....they probably have some other reasons (from higher up) for wanting crew to avoid the boards.........

But Welcome Eddy and Welcome James........enjoy the boards, I think it can be a fun relationship and we can learn from each other.

YAY another crew member!!! Welcome and enjoy the show hehe. Always great to have both sides. And agree with one of the above posters that can't please everyone and often it is a place to blow off frustration. We enjoyed our one Oct 26th fantasy out of NO so much that last night I booked our first whole family cruise for Jan 4th 2007 hehe. I found a good deal on their website for one room for 4 ppl..had trouble with the final part so called carnival rep. He went ahead with the booking and found he could upgrade me then and there PLUS give us two rooms next to each other instead of the one PLUS it was still $150 cheaper all total than what I originally was going to book with one room for 4 :D God Bless him lol. Very nice Christmas pressie from my DH to us all (but it was cause he wanted to buy a new gun rofl).:D

Welcome Crew Members..who knows in the long run it will make a big differance..never know when big brother "Carnival" is watching.We speak our mind, views, truths, and I feel it is a fab randome sampling of the overall picture from the cruising public. It thrills me that it is about a 94% pro rather than con! And like life,a cruise is what you make it..and I make it as often as possible!!! Here's to the crews that make it possible..judi

Glad you're here, thanks for the offer of answering our questions, hope you enjoy the time you spend here!

Personally, I think the crew on our cruise was one of the highlights of our trip. We really enjoyed meeting people from different countries and getting to know some of them, too. I think one of my favorite parts of travelling is seeing and experiencing different countries and cultures, including taking advantage of all the neat things to learn while onboard.

One thing that kills me is getting comment cards back! Its a love hate thing. I mean, some weeks I know my teens had a great time, and I wait to see if I get any. Then sometiems you get a few that arent so hot, and it brings down your moral because you thought everyone had a good time! I have to admit, when its your job and you are in charge, sometimes it is difficult to read those bad ones. But then you have the weeks when you get like 5 or 6 really good ones, and that just makes you really eager for the next week.

One thing to just think about (if I am allowed to say), make sure you put the entertainment staff you enjoyed, even if it was a social host, club o2, DJ, showband music, dancer, even a tech that you thoguht was great on your comment card, we get those and its really nice to read that someone enjoyed our service. It just got to me sometimes when they would pitch to put comments about all the dining room servers and room stewards, and then people would complain about us on the comment cards!

Maybe Eddy can see where I am comming from.

One thing that kills me is getting comment cards back! Its a love hate thing. I mean, some weeks I know my teens had a great time, and I wait to see if I get any. Then sometiems you get a few that arent so hot, and it brings down your moral because you thought everyone had a good time! I have to admit, when its your job and you are in charge, sometimes it is difficult to read those bad ones. But then you have the weeks when you get like 5 or 6 really good ones, and that just makes you really eager for the next week.

One thing to just think about (if I am allowed to say), make sure you put the entertainment staff you enjoyed, even if it was a social host, club o2, DJ, showband music, dancer, even a tech that you thoguht was great on your comment card, we get those and its really nice to read that someone enjoyed our service. It just got to me sometimes when they would pitch to put comments about all the dining room servers and room stewards, and then people would complain about us on the comment cards!

Maybe Eddy can see where I am comming from.

Yeah totally, although on the Conquest I did a few good comment cards... and DJ's never usually get comment cards. I take the time to chat to people, that way people know who you are and you're not just a figure in the DJ booth.

I only ever got 1 bad card from a guy who didn't like the music I was playing, 3500 guests onboard you can't please everyone all of the time. Anyway this guy came up and said I was the worst DJ he had ever heard, I replied "thanks". He then was quite rude saying that Europeans and Brits are the worst DJ's in the world. I simply said if he didn't like the music then he isn't forced to stay, I didn't put in a rude way. Anyway his comment card (written by his wife) simply said "my husband asked the DJ for a song and the DJ said f*** you!" I advised Todd the Cruise Director about the conversation I had with the guy and so when the comment card came through there was no further action taken. I just thought it was quite funny, to think i would ever say that..?

Anyway this guy came up and said I was the worst DJ he had ever heard, I replied "thanks". He then was quite rude saying that Europeans and Brits are the worst DJ's in the world. I simply said if he didn't like the music then he isn't forced to stay, I didn't put in a rude way. Anyway his comment card (written by his wife) simply said "my husband asked the DJ for a song and the DJ said f*** you!"

See how a comment gets misconstrued by the person who heard it?

We had a wonderful time on our most recent cruise. I will make one comment about the comment cards.....Thinking back now we didn't mention the piano player that we enjoyed in the bar.:o I really think this is due to we didn't come in contact with them several times a day where did with the others...........My point? I'm sorry we really did appreciate everyone one on the Destiny. Not one rude person. Always smiles on faces........Thanks Crew!

Maybe we have not done it correctly as the comment cards do not give much room to make the comments that we wanted to make. We have sent e-mails and letters to Guest Relations with the names of the crew members that have impressed us.

Also, we always give our cabin and waiter staff a thank you card with some addition money although we prepay our tips.

I guess, that best that I can think of to praise the crew that we enjoyed is walking up to them and tell them to their face how much we enjoyed sailing with them and we hope to sail with them again. I know it is not much but I like the personal touch myself.

I hope that I have never offended a crew member with the actions that I had said above as they work so hard to make our vacation the best ever.

.....of someone sitting on a starfish!

LHP,

I still have to giggle when I read that...how appropriate!:D

A big welcome to the Crew members - Please stay! There are some very nice, informative, helpful members here.

It will be nice to have an insider's view on some of the topics. I really appreciate everything the crew does to make our cruise vacations so enjoyable. :)

I'm sure there are days that crew members are exhausted/cranky and would rather be someplace else - they sure do hide it well!!!! I also understand that should someone having an "off" day read some of the comments posted here (on CC) on any given day..it really could take it's toll on a kind heart.

Yes I agree those comment section doesn't give near enough room. I guess I could bring my small stapler on my next cruise and add paper so I can get it all on. I squeezed in as many names as I could lol. We loved Duane in the piano room of hmm cleopatra bar or egyptian bar? Anyhoo..being 49 and DH 53..we loved all the songs he played from our era. I think if you look around, you can find any music you like. I did comment sort of negative about the pool side band but that was in terms of the high sound level of the keyboard player. It was so loud and he totally drowned out the singers and other instruments. It wasn't the play or the songs..it was him or atleast his equipment lol. Said it though in hopes they can get it balanced as it made the whole band look bad. There was also a very good guitar player in fantasys atrium who played exceptionally long time but never got his name :( . I mentioned how great he sounded but didn't have a name to add..hoping they can figure out who it was. I did give a glowing report about mario in jubilee dining room and his assistant but we have close contact atleast once a day for 4 days with our dining room staff..that is probably why they are mentioned so frequently. They really could lengthen that survey to specifically include all areas maybe or more options but guess if its too long..many guests won't fill it out. I filled out mine but since my DH agreed wtih what I said he wouldnt do his..said I said it all but I think each one would count towards a good record for them.

I hate you got lied on by that guy. It happend to me once by a patient when I was a nurse. Luckily a lab tech happened to be in the room and heard the entire conversation. Granted the look on my face probably said the F word but it definately never came out of my mouth lol. I was the picture of a southern lady with the exception of my face that is definately not a poker face lol.

Welcome guys to cruise critic!! I have been on numerous Carnival cruises and can honestly say I don't think I've met an employee I didn't like. Some didn't preform as well as others, but never anyone rude to me for the most part. I did have a problem on the Spirit in 05 but he pursers desk handled that promptly.

Any hoo.. DJEddy, will you be on the Pride August 07? I have done the Elation, Ecstasy, Spirit & Paradise from the west coast all thats left is the Pride..So maybe we will see you on there.:)

We are doing the Miracle from Tampa in April 07, anyone I should say hi to there?;)

Why did they "warn" you guys about this board??

Happy Cruising~

Donna

I'm fluent in TYPONESE....:D

GOSH! Don't ya just hate it when your fingers get ahead of your thoughts??..lol..

My favorite people on the Conquest were:Our steward,Juste....our waitstaff,Victoria & Vladimer...the CD Todd Wittmer....our social director, Tina...oh & that due..what's his name?..OHHH...DJEDDY...LOL...I know I saw you Eddy!:D

My question for cruise staff is how do you prefer to be tipped and outside of your tip itself (not that there's any replacement for that) and the comment card, what other acts of generosity have you received and what kind of things does the staff most and least appreciate?

Stivo

In the past when I have filled out the comment cards I was under the impression that they would go to supervisors, I did not know that the staff who were being commented on would be reading them. If there are others who felt the same as I did, then they may not have listed special attention or services that they had received while on board. I have never had a bad experience with any of the staff but I will be more apt to give an extra "thank you" to them on the comment card now that I know that they will be reading them.

There, you see how you fellows have already made a difference by coming on this site? Thanks to you and all of your fellow employees, and please keep the information coming.

Randy

Love the Carnival staff!! I do always make it a point to "name names" on the comment cards, as I have heard that is how many get special incentives... I also send a nice long review to Guest Relations when I get home... I had one bar waiter that I gave such glowing reviews about after my first cruise... when I saw him on the Valor, he remembered me and remembered the comments I gave about him. He said those comments helped get him promoted (he had been moved up to bartender on a larger ship)... so PLEASE, if you have great service, give the names!!! These people deserve the recognition!!!!!

I totally agree that the space for comments on the comment card is too small. The last two cruises were excellent and was trying to put it all on the space. My fiance Tim said "Pam you do not need to write a book.":) Well this last cruise Carnival Glory I am writing a letter to guest relations to tell how wonderful our wait staff, cruise director, and entertainment staff made this the greatest cruise ever. I have never had a bad experience with a crew member at all, they all absolutely the greatest!!

Yeah totally, although on the Conquest I did a few good comment cards... and DJ's never usually get comment cards. I take the time to chat to people, that way people know who you are and you're not just a figure in the DJ booth.

I only ever got 1 bad card from a guy who didn't like the music I was playing, 3500 guests onboard you can't please everyone all of the time. Anyway this guy came up and said I was the worst DJ he had ever heard, I replied "thanks". He then was quite rude saying that Europeans and Brits are the worst DJ's in the world. I simply said if he didn't like the music then he isn't forced to stay, I didn't put in a rude way. Anyway his comment card (written by his wife) simply said "my husband asked the DJ for a song and the DJ said f*** you!" I advised Todd the Cruise Director about the conversation I had with the guy and so when the comment card came through there was no further action taken. I just thought it was quite funny, to think i would ever say that..?

DJ Eddy, If I remember correctly, You were the DJ on my Conquest sailing and you did a great job!! I had a lot of fun! There were good staff that made my cruise wounderful!!

Archived