Carnival Crewmembers

DJ Eddy

My question for cruise staff is how do you prefer to be tipped and outside of your tip itself (not that there's any replacement for that) and the comment card, what other acts of generosity have you received and what kind of things does the staff most and least appreciate?

The cruise staff are quite different from bar staff, waiters etc. We can accept tips however we are not allowed to have a tip jar. For example, I work as a DJ, I do accept tips when i receive them but in comparison to the piano bar man/woman I do not have a tip jar. The comment cards do get read by department heads every week and therefore when we have department meetings every week they are then handed out. I know in the entertainment dept they are handed out and everyone claps for everyone's comment card, it's a good morale thing.

In terms of what other acts of generousity I have received... on another said website I had a lady write about me that brought me to tears when I read it. It just amazed me how you can make an impact in someone's life just by being yourself and I thought it was actually one of my biggest achievements while working on the conquest...

Get your tissues ready

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/452603081/m/8571027952

The cruise staff are quite different from bar staff, waiters etc. We can accept tips however we are not allowed to have a tip jar. For example, I work as a DJ, I do accept tips when i receive them but in comparison to the piano bar man/woman I do not have a tip jar. The comment cards do get read by department heads every week and therefore when we have department meetings every week they are then handed out. I know in the entertainment dept they are handed out and everyone claps for everyone's comment card, it's a good morale thing.

In terms of what other acts of generousity I have received... on another said website I had a lady write about me that brought me to tears when I read it. It just amazed me how you can make an impact in someone's life just by being yourself and I thought it was actually one of my biggest achievements while working on the conquest...

Get your tissues ready

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/452603081/m/8571027952

WOW Eddy!! That got me all teary eyed!!! I know that had to make you feel good to know how you impacted this lady... What a doll you are!!!

Hi DJEddy, Welcome!!! Will you be on the Pride on 12/3? This is a Rusty Wallace, Nascar cruise. We had a great time with Ron, on the Valor, last year. We're looking forward to another fun cruise.

JoAnn

Comment cards are a big thing. Get good ones and sometimes you get noticed, but get bad ones and well, you will hear about it!

What I was saying was that at the Debark talk the say to put the stewards and servers on there, but in reality people just seem to forget us entertainment staff!

Also, know whatever you write on those, we read. I have read some degrading stuff that people write about dancers. Things that are so mean and uncalled for that the dancers sometimes refuse to read them because it brings down the dance teams moral.

Im done preaching! haha

My hubby and I along with our posse decided to try the Grand Princess last year and I am personally going to give a big hug and kiss to every crew member on Carnival Triumph in February because we missed you soooooo much I can say I have never left a Carnival Cruise unhappy with staff!!!!!! I may even hug and kiss the ship who knows???? :D ;) Thanks for being so great at what you all do!!!!!

I am addicted to karaoke and since the karaoke host is the same thing as a social host, they don't have "tip" jars either. If they drink, I tip in alcohol. I have had more than one bottle sent from the gift shop to Social Hosts, Sound guys, Karaoke Hosts etc. ( I say "sent" but they usually just give me the bottle and I deliver it!) With Adam on the Miracle, I just bought him Jack and coke every night. (It would have been cheaper to have just bought him a bottle!!)

Also, since I drink water every night at karaoke (must keep the ole vocal chords hydrated) then I tip the bartender $10 at the end of the cruise and the bar wait staff (there is usually the same one every night) $10 at the end of the cruise. I figure that is about the amount of tips they would have made off me if I were :drinking: in there.

Hi Eddy, and welcome to the boards. Your comments surprise me, because I think for the most part, folks on this board are very happy with the crew members in general. I've read only a very few negative reports about [isolated] cases involving crew members.

Time and again, I've said that Carnival staff and crew are the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful of any line I've sailed. Stay and play with us - most of us don't bite!:D

I agree !

Welcome to the boards, Eddy.

If all the ships are like the fantasy, and am sure they are, you would have to be a stress case nitpicker to really find fault with the staff. They were going so far out of their way to be helpful, I was kind of embarassed by all the attention..not use to it lol. Even the housekeeping staff was smiling and could be heard laughing while they did their work. Has to be fairly happy employees that can laugh while working imo. I recommend carnival to all my friends/family. We are all in basic same financial bracket and carnival fits it very nice indeed.

What I was saying was that at the Debark talk the say to put the stewards and servers on there, but in reality people just seem to forget us entertainment staff!

I have written something about entertainers on my comment card on every one of my cruises! I never go to the debark talk but do listen to it on the tv sometimes and you are right although I do think Mark Price mentioned the entertainers.

So glad that you guys are posting!

Archived