Mexican Riviera Cruise: What Can We Expect

Editor

I booked the Dawn out of San Deigo in December 16th. I never been in this region. Has anyone been out of San Deigo in December.

Chinadoll

We sailed out of our home city, San Diego in mid November.....you will probably sail out in the dark due to daylight savings time......which will be beautiful. You will see all the city lights as you leave....:)

Sailing from San Diego is great. There's a beautiful harbor and city skyline. It's easier to board and disembark in San Diego--less congestion.

I agree that the first day and first two evenings at sea are cool. Then the second morning you awake to warm, lovely weather.

In PV, you can also go to Krystal Hotel --very close to dock--pay a small fee and use the hotel pool and beach facilities. If you buy lunch or have drinks, that is deducted from the fee you paid! (Nice place to spend a few hours.)

We've taken this cruise in Feb, April and November. We had nice weather in Mexico on each visit.

Yes, sea could be a bit rough coming back, but last February the sea was as smooth as glass in both directions--go figure!

I think you'll enjoy your Mexican experience.

You will love San Diego Harbor. That is precisely one of the reasons we booked our cruise out of there.

It is not huge, there are plenty of hotels very close to the Harbor, the airport is really close by - this is truly one port you can taxi around and not need a rental car if you are flying in the day before.

And the weather is great year round!

I appreciate all of your help. I have been looking at hotels in the area and I seen a Hyatt and Radisson. We probaly will go 1-2 days early. That is before christmas so I wonder if it will busy.

Is the airport close to the port? Is there things to do in the area or are they all far away?

China Doll

I have stayed at both the Radisson and the Hyatt, and would recommend neither. I normally like Hyatts, but this one was rather ordinary -- even though it looks nice from the exterior.

There is a Marriott a block or two from the Hyatt, and a Hilton in the Gaslamp district that both appear to be newer/nicer, and in the same area of town as the Hyatt. I would probably recommend those -- even though I haven't stayed at either.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say that the going will be a bit rough between Cabo and LA, how rough is rough? This is our first cruise by the way (with a VERY reluctant hubby in tow).

Between 7-10 day cruises I have done this about 8 times. The seas have been from a ripple (Diamond Princess) to 15 feet (Ryndam without properly working stabilizers). "Old" Crown Princess 5-7 foot seas. Carnivale Jubilee with 12' seas and 50 knot headwinds - THAT was exciting!

On all but one of those cruises there was no rain. I cruise normally Nov through Feb.

Yes, Both on HAL Ryndam and Oosterdam. I live in Los Angeles and lucky enough to just drive down. Great port to cruise in and out of. Very picturesque. Rainy season starts in November. Weather will be cool - probably in the high 50's on the water leaving port. Could also be no rain at all.

I booked the Dawn out of San Deigo in December 16th. I never been in this region. Has anyone been out of San Deigo in December.

Chinadoll

Archived