Family of 4 in one room - sleeping arrangements?

bewitchedwitch

I am slightly confused about something...

we are a family of four and thinking about going on a cruise sometime next year. Our kids will be 1 and 4 years old at the time.

We cannot afford to get two adjoining rooms or a suite. So, is it possible to book a regular ocean view room for 2 adults and 2 small kids?

I have seen pictures of the rooms with the pullout bunkbed, but I know neither Dh or I would be comfortable with our oldest child sleeping on that.

Really my question is this: as long as we get one of the cabins with the pullout bunkbed, our child can still sleep in the bed with us if she wanted to?

Our youngest 1 year old would be in a playpen/crib, right?

Don't know about other ships, but on the NCL Dawn my brother, wife and two kids were all in one room. There was the fold down bunkbed on the wall and also another trundle bed that they pulled out and up inbetween the twin beds so it more or less took up all the space. You could probably all sleep in that if that is what you have. Or put a grown-up in the bunk bed. DH always sleeps up there and I am down with DD.

I am slightly confused about something...

we are a family of four and thinking about going on a cruise sometime next year. Our kids will be 1 and 4 years old at the time.

We cannot afford to get two adjoining rooms or a suite. So, is it possible to book a regular ocean view room for 2 adults and 2 small kids?

I have seen pictures of the rooms with the pullout bunkbed, but I know neither Dh or I would be comfortable with our oldest child sleeping on that.

Really my question is this: as long as we get one of the cabins with the pullout bunkbed, our child can still sleep in the bed with us if she wanted to?

Our youngest 1 year old would be in a playpen/crib, right?

Are you looking at a particular cruiseline and/or ship? Sleeping arrangements can vary greatly, depending upon the cruiseline.

We definitely want to go on Carnival and right now we are interested in either the Carnival Valor or Carnival Triumph.

We've sailed Carnival four times - twice with five of us in a cabin. (Triumph will take five; Valor will not.) Carnival has quad cabins with twin beds or queen, sofa that converts to a bed, and a pull-down bed. The twin/queen bed is a good size, so if you don't mind having a child in bed with you, you can make it work. On Triumph, you might be able to request a rollaway bed as well; I'm not sure about the availability of cribs (although you can always bring a portable with you, if your travel arrangements permit). Valor does not have rollaways. I would recommend that you talk to your TA or PVP about what can be made available to you.

There were 4 of us booked into a std ocean view on Celebrity last year, and then we got upgraded to a balcon.

The sleeping arrangements would have been better in the ocean view because it had two uppers and two lowers, which would have given us more floor space. But the new room had just one upper and the king made from the twins pushed together, and a single sleeper sofa. With the sofa bed pulled out you had to step out on the balcony to change your mind.:)

And the joke about musical beds, we all ended up sleeping in each of the beds on different nights depending on which of us went to be first.

But the best thing to do is go to the cruise ships web sight and look at the available cabin configurations. They will probably show some that will accomodate 4 and some that won't. Some might have one upper and some might have two. Also many lines now have Family size rooms that will easily accomodate 4 or 5.

If you want to book direct or preselect your cruise just visit the cruise line website and check out the different ships. If you have a good travel agent they should be knowlegeble about the different ships and cabin capacities and arrangements.

We just returned from a family cruise (DH, me. DD 9 & DS 4) on the Carnival Elation. We had a quad room. When we got to our room the beds on the floor were made up into a queen with a bunk bed over top of the head of the bed. The other bunk was off to one side of the foot of the bed.

We put the 4 yr old in the bunk over the top of the bed - just in case he decided to get out of bed! We said we would try it for one night - if I didn't like it or one of the kids didnt like it we were going to switch to DH in the bunk & DS in bed w/me.

The kids loved the bunks. The only thing I had to worry about was remembering to be careful when I sat up so I didn't bump my head!

Archived