help for Montego bay tours

cruising kate

Our family of 6 are on Star Christmas cruise and dock at Montego instead of Ocho Rios. The ship's white water rafting tour is already a wait list. There are very few other tours for a 20 and 18 year old. There are so many conflicting reports on private tour people there. We e mailed A-z tours and got no reply in 2 weeks. Read so many pros and cons on them. Our children and grandsons are on first cruise and that is our first stop and really hope to find something for them to have a great first tour on. Would really appreciate any help you can give us!!!

Dunns River Falls is a hoot and am sure everybody would enjoy it but be prepared for a fairly long drive from Montego Bay. I believe it is 1 1/2-2 hour drive each way.

I'm not a big fan of Jamaica-especially Mo Bay so what we did was get a day pass @ Sunset Beach Club for $40 or $45 per person and spent an enjoyable day there. Sunset BC is very close to the dock maybe 2 miles @ the most,you'll be able to see the ship from the resort. Your price includes all you can eat/drink and use of their facility.

Nice beach and plenty to do here (included with price). Snorkeling,kayaking,basketball,volleyball,billiards to name a few. Oh yeah and they have a small water park with a couple of slides and if I remember correctly a lazy river. There would plenty of info on this place on the "Jamaica" Board. Good luck

Kate, We took an excursion with Braco Stables, a horseback ride to and on the beach....they stop at the water and you are able to ride your horse into the sea. They were a fun group and we were singing Bob Marley songs the entire time. Check out www.jamaicacruiseexcursions.com This is a private company and we used them for several ports, fewer people and less $. We drove from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay and the ride was intense, fast and bumpy....if you choose to go to Dunns River Falls you will see much of the country which is very impoverished. This tour company will display many options. Have fun!

As the previous posters have mentioned....Dunn's River is about 1.5 hours away, this is without traffic, and the same coming back. I've been the JAM twice in the past year and really love the place, been to both MOBO, OCHIE, and NEGRIL...I would agree with the previous poster and spend the day at the Sunset Beach, I have stayed here for a week and for the 40$ it cant be beat, I noticed alot of cruisers at this resort the last time i was there. Also other options while in MOBO include going to Margaretville, or even taking a catamaran boat/ snorkeling tour, this is about 3 hours and was a ton of fun. If worse comes to worse you could do the Sunset Beach thing then go shopping in the village market, but be prepared to haggle, overall this is alot of fun, many things can be arraigned through Sunset Beach if you choose to spend the day there.

Best of luck

We just took the 10/15 Freedom cruise and had the BEST day on shore in Jamaica. We pre-arranged a tour with Carolyn Barrett http://www.barrettadventures.com/ along with our friends who were cruising with us. Had a magical day!

Mrs. Barrett herself drove us (though she also has 6 or 7 other drivers, who I have heard are very good.) We went up into the hills (where it was cooler) and spent the day at an old plantation owned by the Hilton family. We had breakfast on their open-air veranda, overlooking the hills and valleys (authentic Jamaican fare!) and then toured the plantation, seeing all kinds of tropical plants up close. Then visited an elementary school where the children sang their national anthem for us, and an interesting church. Returning to the plantation, there were a few vendors (not at all pushy) where we bought some handicrafts and had dresses made for us. We had a delicious Jamaican buffet lunch (with all the dishes labeled, and also explained to us) while listening to a group of local musicians.

The whole day reminded us of the week we spent in Jamaica in 1973 on our honeymoon.

Mrs. Barrett brought us back in plenty of time to the dock. On the drive, both ways, she told us a great deal about life in Jamaica. Fascinating!

The whole day was so pleasant and relaxing, and we felt like we'd had a glimpse into the local culture.

She has a variety of tours on her website; we just lucked into this one, and will try another with her company next time we visit Montego Bay.

I'm working on a review but just haven't finished it yet.

Hope you have a great time in Jamaica!

Regards,

Jan

Definitely take them to do the Dunns River Falls climb. It is great. We got married in Montego Bay at Sandals Royal Carribean, and spent time in Ocho and the falls as well. TONS of fun!! There are lots of Catamaran/snorkeling tours as well. One goes to Margaritaville...I'll see if i can find the tour place's name. We had a blast..i'm sure you all will too!

Kristie

Archived