Pictures aft balcony cabin Verandah deck

lg rover

I am looking to book the Westerdam in March 2007. I am wondering about the aft balconycabins on verandah deck. How big are they, how big is the deck. Would it be very rough in the back of the ship, soot on chairs. Also is there any privacy. Does anyone have pictures of the aft balcony. Thanks

Hi Lindy,

We were in cabin SC5186 aft port corner in September of this year. There was no soot or any debris. Since we were on deck 5 we felt the rumble of the azipod, especially at night, but we liked it. It kind of soothed us to sleep, not that we needed any help in those heavenly beds.

We have pictures of the cabin and the veranda but but I don't think you asked for suite pictures.

Here is a link anyway to the view from our aft cabin. The specific cabin pix are on page 4 of the slideshow.

http://community.webshots.com/album/554456434vmsmzT

Candy has bunched of pictures of the Zuiderdam (Westerdam's sister ship) listed on her signature on her posts. You may want to check these out.

GN

For grannynurse...

We recently enjoyed the wonders of SC5186 on our Caribbean cruise. Next year we're planning an Alaskan cruise for either late April/May or late August/September. Currently we haven't picked a cruiseline or ship, but are seriously considering HAL again.

Since you sailed to Alaska in September and you had the lovely aft corner cabin/balcony...could you please share the advantages/disadvantages of doing Alaska at that time of year versus the beginning of the season. (We don't want to sail to Alaska in June/July/August due to the increased fares...preferring to take advantage of the more reasonable rates for early or late in the Alaskan season.) What was the weather & temperatures like when you sailed in September? Also, how much were you able to really enjoy your wrap-around balcony? Were you able to have any room service meals out there? I'm wondering if a balcony...especially that aft corner one is a real advantage or necessity to enjoying the Alaskan scenery?

Thanks so much for your input! I look forward to reading about your Alaskan journey!

Debjo

For lg rover...

Grannynurse covered the Aft Corner Balcony pictures...here are a couple pictures I took of my cousin's aft cabin VA5184 (which was next door to ours) on Verandah Deck:

1. I took this one standing at the rail that overlooks the wake of the ship. My cousins are "large" people and really appreciated the increased depth of their balcony. Even with the lounger, arm chair with foot stool, small table & extra chair, there was still plenty of room to move around on their balcony.

2. Standing at the rail again, I took this picture to show the balcony to cabin door that opens out. This shot also gives an indication of how much can be seen from the balcony when looking UP into the balconies above...and how much can be seen when those passengers above you look down. There is an overhang above the door that gives you a few feet of "privacy" from anyone looking down from above. I would estimate the distance from the door to the balcony rail to be about 15 feet.

Hope this helps you out! Have a great cruise!

Debjo

1962770246_2006WDAMVA5184AftBalconyDepth.JPG.456a49d6a243a87eb18c41be06307808.JPG

51090073_2006WDAMVA5184AftBalconyDoorUpView.JPG.364152e8691f01f82808083462152387.JPG

Hi Debjo,

The Westerdam will not be in Alaska next summer she will be in Europe. The Noordam will take the Seattle itinerary in her place.

September was great for lack of scads of people in port but not for weather. It rained in Glacier Bay, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Most tours in Ketchikan were cancelled because of the wind and rain. It was cool and misty in Sitka.

For the Glacier viewing our cabin was ideal. The windows in the crow's nest were fogged because of all the people up there. The open part of the Lido was okay but we had the glaciers in our backyard for most of the afternoon. The wraparound port veranda as you know is covered and as he turns the ship you have 3 viewing areas at once. We had the bow cam on TV for the narration so we didn't miss a thing. You can see the views in our pix.

Seeing you're looking at shoulder seasons for Alaska, I'd recommend spring. The spring reviews reported great weather. As you know Alaska weather is a crap shoot, you just never know. Spring fares are probably as good as fall.

We always have breakfast on the veranda but not this time, so if we had paid full fare for this cabin it wouldn't have been worth it for veranda use. We loved everything else about the cabin and the amenities. It was our first SC as we've had the SA cabins on Zaandam and Maasdam, which BTW are larger and have more drawer space, but my goodness, I would have killed for the 8 closets in 5186 on our 2 transatlantics.

For a first trip to Alaska, and from Seattle, we don't have any complaints but we don't have any other Alaska experiences to compare it with.

Sorry I can't be more help.

GN

Thanks grannynurse and debjo, yes I am interested in the balcony aft, I am hoping that a couple of our friends will go for that aft suite 5187. Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the balcony aft. I am wondering if it is smaller like the aft suite. Thanks

The cabins between 5186 and 5187 are VAs, approx 245 sqft. they are long and narrow, not square. The aft SC suites are approx 500 sq ft and square with dressing rooms, 8 closets, and the large bathrooms. They are slightly smaller than the regular VAs but the verandas are much bigger.

GN

Thanks grannynurse and debjo, yes I am interested in the balcony aft, I am hoping that a couple of our friends will go for that aft suite 5187. Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the balcony aft. I am wondering if it is smaller like the aft suite. Thanks

We have been in 5187 twice on the Oosterdam, you are welcome to look at my pictures. I have a link in my signature to my web shots. It would be for the Oosterdam Oct.2005 and Feb 2006 Like GN said there is a slight vibration but there is something soothing about it. I can remember the first time we had the cabin and remember thinking that first night, OH NO wil this make be sea sick (I am very prone to motion sickness):eek: Amazingly byt the second night it was great. Then this past Feb. we returned and never noticed anything. As a matter of fact I think we missed the feeling when we cruised on the Ryndam in May.

Also of the two times we were in 5187 Never Ever was there any soot. The deck was always clean and I also never noticed anyone from above looking over at us nor did it bother me. We are very much looking forward to returning to our 5187 in March on the Oosterdam and we also booked 5191 (same location just different cabin number) for the Noordam for this coming June in Alaska.:)

Hi Ya,

We just got back from the Westerdam western Caribbean cruise (10/22-10/29) and were in 4185, which is the lowest level corner aft vernadah. It was a great room, but the corner balconies on the higher levels are much deeper, if that's important to you. No soot at all, but a definite vibration from the engines, especially at top speed. Still, I loved this room and would take it again in a heartbeat!

Hi Ya,

We just got back from the Westerdam western Caribbean cruise (10/22-10/29) and were in 4185, which is the lowest level corner aft vernadah. It was a great room, but the corner balconies on the higher levels are much deeper, if that's important to you. No soot at all, but a definite vibration from the engines, especially at top speed. Still, I loved this room and would take it again in a heartbeat!

We were in 4187, which is the corner, and it was great. I will say the only thing is the vibration from the engines, but that didn't brother me -- felt like it was rocking me to sleep. This is my first "aft" and I am spoiled. I will not have this on my next cruise in February thru the Panama Canal as I am having a stateroom by myself and the cost was just too much for one person.

Archived