Brazilian visa

GAJE

We need to apply for a Brazilian visa in a few weeks. Never having done this before, I have a question. We were thinking of applying directly to the Brazilian Embassy,as opposed to going through a visa service. Can anyone give advice on this? The Embassy is less expensive than the service and the turnaround time looks to be about the same. So...my question, should we have reservations about dealing directly with the Embassy?

Thanks, Betty

I think it comes down to a matter of availability, preference and time.You are paying extra to use the visa service. However, if you deal directly with the embassy you have to take the time to go there, and go back and pick it up.

I have always dealt with the embassies to get the visas, this includes Brazilian visas. IMO - If you live close or at least driving distance I think you are better off dealing with them.

We, too, will be doing the Brazilian Visa thing in the next few weeks -- we live in the Chicago area -- there is a Brazilian Counselor office in Chicago -- the price is MUCH less to do it that way, and I assume we will get it while we are there (am I wrong? -- please let me know if I have that piece wrong) -- so I see no reason to use a service and surrender my passport to the winds of chance for 45 days.

We, too, will be doing the Brazilian Visa thing in the next few weeks -- we live in the Chicago area -- there is a Brazilian Counselor office in Chicago -- the price is MUCH less to do it that way, and I assume we will get it while we are there (am I wrong? -- please let me know if I have that piece wrong) -- so I see no reason to use a service and surrender my passport to the winds of chance for 45 days.

Arzz...I'm not sure that you can get a Visa in one day..Many of the Consular offices request that you give them a Pre-paid stamped self addressed envelope for them to return the Passport with Visa to you..There is a duplicate thread here which you might want to check out..Others have explained their experiences with the Consular offices..Many of them only will process Visa's a couple of days a week & only for a couple of hours..Just make sure you ask for a "Multiple Entry Visa" good for 5 years..

I know three years ago the Embassy (DCA) took a 6 weeks to return our passports to us, however we had gone through a service..The service delivered about 100 on the same day & the Embassy took forever to process them:( ...We did not want to mail our Passpoorts either, but when we got our Visa we checked the Miami Consular office..We would have had to drive to Miami (3 hrs) & stay overnight to get our Visa the next day..They would not process it in one day..Now understand they are doing it by mail..

You can check on-line to see the requirements for the various Consulates.. Enjoy your trip..Betty

Actually, I have phoned the Chicago Consular office and there is nothing in the requirements that says that it will have to be mailed back or that the passport has to be left there -- good to be alerted to that -- thank you

Also, they will not answer visa questions on the phone -- only by e-mail, so we are going to get an e-mail out to them soon -- hope it doesn't take six weeks to get an e-mail reply.

As to when they are open for visas -- interesting question as the recording about visas said they were open 5 days a week....hmmmmmm

Thanks for the info

Archived