3 day Baja Carnival vs. RCCI

Lesterbird

Thinking of taking extended family of 9 (2 couples, grandma, and 4 boys - ages 14, 12, 10 and 5) on 3 day weekend Ensenda cruise out of LA next fall. Choices are the Paradise or the Monarch of the Seas. From my research, I've been able to figure out the following pro/cons.

Paradise: larger staterooms, newer ship, younger crowd, Las Vegas feel.

Monarch: slightly better food, somewhat better service, cheaper price, basketball court, rock climbing wall.

I'm guessing they're pretty comparable. Anyone go on both of these cruises with kids and have an opinion? What did you like/dislike. We'll probably get 3 or 4 staterooms.

Thinking of taking extended family of 9 (2 couples, grandma, and 4 boys - ages 14, 12, 10 and 5) on 3 day weekend Ensenda cruise out of LA next fall. Choices are the Paradise or the Monarch of the Seas. From my research, I've been able to figure out the following pro/cons.

Paradise: larger staterooms, newer ship, younger crowd, Las Vegas feel.

Monarch: slightly better food, somewhat better service, cheaper price, basketball court, rock climbing wall.

I'm guessing they're pretty comparable. Anyone go on both of these cruises with kids and have an opinion? What did you like/dislike. We'll probably get 3 or 4 staterooms.

We have been on both with our kids. But our kids are grown LOL! So I can't help you there. I think they are very much comparable. You seem to some it up pretty good. If you sail in the fall it's pretty safe to say you won't get the younger crowd. They will still be in school.

For me, I do think the food was better on the Monarch. Service pretty much the same. I think sailing out of Long Beach port is much prettier, but you have to wait outside, so if the weather is bad :eek: I think you will have a great time on either one....we did.

By the way.....the news is there will be a new 4 and 5 day on the Elation out of San Diego to Cabo....maybe that's another option for you. The Elation is our favorite ship so far....

Good luck!!

Hi there. I haven't been on the Monarch, but I have been on other RCCI ships; nothing wrong w/RCCI in general. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my Paradise cruise last year. She's a lovely ship, with great staff and crew. The food was as I have come to appreciate on Carnival (and I'm a retired chef). Even though I enjoyed my meals on RCCI, Carnival has a big edge to me, in quality, taste, and presentation.

On a recent RCCI cruise, I was surprised how small my OV cabin was. Another thing is that I love having the comp espresso and cappuccino in the dining room at all meals from Carnival - but did not like having to pay for it on RCCI. Small things, I know, but makes a difference to me. I believe the entertainment is about the same on both lines.

Your older boys would probably enjoy the rock climbing, but how long can they do that every day? There are planned activities for teens and younger ones on Carnival ships they might enjoy as well. I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful time together, no matter which line you choose.:)

Have done both the Monarch and the Paradise on the 3 day. For food, we found them comparable with the exception that a couple of cruise favorites are not offered on the Monarchs short sailings (wont find lobster for one). We found the cabin size to be major, but I think it was contributed to the the fact that on the Monarch the room was able to hold 4 (it was only 2 of us tho) and that changed where the TV was mounted. We dont have children, but on both ships the kids programs must have kept them busy because we rarely saw kids that werent either doing a program "thing" or at the pool. The rock climbing wall may be a draw, but you may want to check out RCCL's board because there are age ristictions and set hours. It seemed closed whenever we were in that area. As for price, that swaps back and fourth depending on sailing date and how well either ship is booking. We did the Monarch only because the Paradise was way more expensive that weekend, otherwise I would not have a comparison.

As a 30something childless couple, we prefer the Paradise tho, oh look we are on board again in less than a month!

I have cruised several times on the Monarch on 3 and 4 nighters, but I've only done a couple of 7-nighter Mexican Rivieras on Carnival...

I've actually avoided (not completely intentionally, but something subconscious, I believe) doing a 3-nighter on Carnival due to the general feeling of most folks I've known that the 3-nighters from Carnival tend to attract the most severe "party crowd" (aka obnoxious drunks, classless clowns, rowdy folk, whatever)...and I sort of want to avoid that...

Of course, to be truthful and accurate, I fully believe MOST of the folks cruising on ANY cruise are good people looking for a pleasant experience...AND, I've found that there is a segment of that "party" demographic on any 3 night cruise, the Monarch included...Folks of that ilk just tend to like the quick, cheap weekend getaway...and any 3 night weekend cruise to Ensenada provides that opportunity...

The actual truth is that you (and your kids) would have a great cruise experience on EITHER ship...Both cruise lines actually do more things the same than they do different...

Both will give you the same itinerary...Both will give you a pleasant formal dining experience with food you'd pay a lot more for at home...both will give you some enjoyable entertainment, a bunch of activities and a FUN program for the kids...

It is true that the standard cabins on the Monarch are quite small...so if "space" is important to you, I'd go with the Paradise...But, for some of us, the cabin isn't that important, especially on a short cruise...we only use it to sleep and change...there is so much going on elsewhere around the ship...

The Monarch is an older ship, but has recently been rehabbed and is in excellent shape...

But, really, in my book, you could probably flip a coin...

You'll have a great time either way...

Good luck...

I honestly try and stay away from the 3 days cruises because of the party crowd that is attracted to them, The time of year you will be sailing is a big factor, you may even want to look at the 4 day cruises that will give you that extra stop in Catalina. As for smaller kid activities, i would give the edge to Carnival.

By the way Lesterbird, I'm in Clovis.

Thanks, everyone! You've all been very helpful. We off on the Monarch this Friday with a bunch of friends and kids so we'll know what that's all about. Very excited!!

Thinking more towards the Paradise now for next year because of the cabin size. But I can't imagine we'll have a bad time either way. Heck, it's a cheap vacation and we'll all be together - no one in the group is too picky (except granny).

Can't do a 4 day since it's midweek and we all work and kids have school.

Lester

Archived