Wondering why you cruise Celebrity

lac

Why did we choose Celebrity? For a variety of itineraries and cruising styles. You are fortunate that you're willing to try different cruiselines. That way, you won't have to take other people's word for it, and can sample each line. Each one has it's pros and cons and you've probably read them all. I wish you many happy cruises!!

We have to admit that we took our first cruise on Celebrity because of their advertising :D. Now with six cruises on X, we have not been disappointed.

Would agree with many other posters about why they prefer X - great service, wonderful crews, vessels which do not seem to be crowded, good food in the dining room, more formal dining, etc.

However, what has made our cruises on X really great experiences is pre-cruise participation in the X roll call, getting to know many of our future fellow passengers, getting together for cocktails the night before embarkation, and meeting some very wonderful people on the cruise. We have had some very large cruise connection groups, and the people range from late 20's or 30's, up to our age 71 and 66, include singles, passengers who are traveling with partners, and we have all had a marvelous time.

It is this opportunity which cruise critic and X provide which in our opinion makes the cruise greatly enhanced. We still or corresponding with many of our new friends that we have met on X.

I have sailed with Carnival, RCCL, Princess, Hal and Celebrity. Only reason we sailed Carnival was because of taking 5 grandchildren with us and knew it would be a fun ship for them. RCCL was good. Had a great experience on the Dawn Princess. Had four cruises with HAL and just got back from another one aboard the Zaandam which was not the best cruise I've ever been on. Did the Mercury last year and loved the ship. The food and service was so much better that what we just got on the Zaandam. We have booked a cruise to Hawaii on the Summitt in March 07 and I can't wait to get aboard. I hear so much about how people don't like cruising with kids aboard. If they are well behaved it doesn't bother me. What I don't like is how some of the "older" people act on the ship. This last cruise I was pushed, had my chair bumped constantly and my foot ran over by some who thought they had more rights than I did. A cruise is what you make of it. Heard a few comments by "younger" people how boring the cruise was because we were a bunch of "old" people. If you want a big social event then you should bring along a few of your friends and make your own party. I go to relax, make some new friends and see the ports.

ASUE, We agree. We sailed on Carnival once when we took the teenage grandsons. On that subject, this past week we sailed Royal Caribbean. I would have paid EXTRA to be seated near teenagers rather than what we had to endure in the dining room. It had nothing to do with the cruiseline, for there were many well mannered ladies and gentlemen throughout the ship, many of whom I met through this website.

A "lady" (?) CACKLED loudly at EVERY semi-humorous thing she heard. She was oblivious to anyone or anything else beyond her own table which was next to us. She was CONSTANT...each and every night, so much so that we couldn't hear what others at our table were saying. She was in her 50's and so rude that I think it must have taken her all those years to reach the point she was at. The topper was that on the final night, she led her table in a boisterous bellowing "Auld Lang Syne". God help the poor people who are now land-locked with her in a restaurant.:eek:

A "lady" (?) CACKLED loudly at EVERY semi-humorous thing she heard. She was oblivious to anyone or anything else beyond her own table which was next to us. She was CONSTANT...each and every night, so much so that we couldn't hear what others at our table were saying. She was in her 50's and so rude that I think it must have taken her all those years to reach the point she was at. .

We had a similar situation while assigned to a two top table on HAL recently. There was a woman seated at the large table next to us that was so incredibly loud it invaded every minute of our dinner; we left immediately after our entree and spent the other six nights in the specialty restaurant. No way we were going to let a loudmouth ruin a week for us:).

What I don't like is how some of the "older" people act on the ship. This last cruise I was pushed, had my chair bumped constantly and my foot ran over by some who thought they had more rights than I did.

LOL! It got to the point that I was afraid to venture into the buffet at all! Some of the people (mostly oldsters) acted like they were in danger of starving to death! It was like "LORD OF THE FLIES"! X has a reputation for civility, but that all goes out the window come buffet time!!!

We had a similar situation while assigned to a two top table on HAL recently. There was a woman seated at the large table next to us that was so incredibly loud it invaded every minute of our dinner; we left immediately after our entree and spent the other six nights in the specialty restaurant. No way we were going to let a loudmouth ruin a week for us:).

Isn't it terrible when we have to divert in order to enjoy a peaceful dinner?

Like you, we went to the specialty restaurant, Portofino's, but only once. Thank God it was the shortest cruise we've ever taken (only 5 days) so we didn't have to put up with her bellowing for too long. My DH had said that he was thankful she wasn't in the stateroom next to ours.

We find Celebrity a bit more refined than RCL, and I have been so much more impressed by the people who work for Celebrity compared to RCL. Celebrity's folks are so friendly and helpful. I like the ship lay-out better on Celebrity, but then I haven't tried all the ships on either line. Little things like art auctions in atriums which waft the bidding up 5 floors, is tacky, imo. Postage stamp dance floors in the atrium don't work for me, either.

RCL is not a bad line, and given the right price and itinerary, I would sail them again. I do prefer their stations for buffet food rather than Celebrity's traditional cafeteria line, and I also prefer their dark hued interiors -- navy blue with dark wood accents. While the decor is classier the total experience is not.

Hubby is very active, love the pool side activities and if not participating ourselves, at least watching the fun. We also love ballroom style dancing and wonder what the opportunities for that are.

We've cruised on HAL, Princess, RCL and Celebrity. Each cruiseline is successful marketing their own version of cruising. All of them offer something around the pool to keep their respective guests happy.

If you like ballroom dancing get opinions on each cruise site to see what they offer. In our experience only Celebrity offers nightly dancing in several lounges. But here opinion varies as well. We loved the party band Intenz6 for our nightly dancing on Century and avoided the Rhythm of the Night duo because each dance sounded like a dirge.... A previous poster loved them..

Ever since Celebrity taught me how to dance (it took many cruises), this activity is the most important for our cruise choice.

We also have cruised on all the diffrent LINES and agree that each has their own advantages.

We have sailed twice on X, Mercury and the Milli. What a diffrence in the ships. The covered pool spa area is the best on the milli. along with the Persian Gardens. Food and service were the same. However there is something special about the Milli. So far X is our first choice but I would not think twice of cruising with the others if the price is right. We prefer long cruises and X's seems to have the best for the money and everything else is as good or better than what the other lines offer.

We are leaving on 11-24 on a transatlantic on Milli. (16 days yippeeee) We will see if it is as nice the second time.

We also have cruised on all the diffrent LINES and agree that each has their own advantages.

We are leaving on 11-24 on a transatlantic on Milli. (16 days yippeeee) We will see if it is as nice the second time.

We recently returned from the Connie Tranatlantic. Dover, UK to Bayone, NJ. Super time, super cruise, have a great cruise.:) ;)

Archived