Venice and Barcelona

Hey Cruisingator2, we are doing the same cruise next year. We just got back from a 7 night Med on the Voyager and stayed a day prior in Barcelona. We stayed at the Grand Marina. It wasn't cheap, but the hotel was terrific and the location was very convenient to the cruise terminal and Las Ramblas. I am also looking for ideas for Venice--we are going to stay there a day prior for the Brilliance cruise.

I have started a roll call for this cruise if you want to post over there as well.

See you next year!

Dave

We are going to both next year and Wendy's hotel choices are ours. We have not stayed in Venice before, but did the Hotel Continental Palacete before. Great hotel and perfect location. 24 hour snacks and beer, soda, wine and chocolate. What more does one need :D .

Jerry

we are staying at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona (using marriot points) and we have a friend who goes to venice every year and swears by the hotel san cassiano...a little bit pricey but i may never be in venice again!:D

Do a search on this board under Barcelona and Venice and you will find a lot of inof on hotels and a lot of other info re both places on what to see and do...there are a LOT of threads re hotels.

I usually use the search feature here but just like the boards, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!!;)

Pensione Accademia in the Dorsoduro section of Venice is wonderful. As implied by the name, it's next to the Accademia Bridge (also a vaporetto stop), so not as crowded as San Marco area. Charming hotel, beautiful front and back gardens, reasonably priced. Probably a 15 minute walk to San Marco, practically next door to the Accademia Museum, 10 minutes to the Guggenheim. Lots of great restaurants not too far away. Staff very helpful.

Sam

Will be cruising on the Brillance next year from Venice to Barcelona. Want to do a pre and post cruise stay in each city. Not knowing anything about the area, where would you suggest staying in each of these cities to get the most out of your trip? Thanks for any help.

Having been to both several times, here is my general advice:

Barcelona: The ideal hotel location is to be as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya...This is the NORTHERN terminus of Las Ramblas and the central hub of all of Barcelona's transportation systems...but, more inmportantly, you will be within walking distance of MOST of the best tourist sites (Las Ramblas, Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, Barri Gotic) and an easy cab or bus ride to La Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell...PLUS, there are a host of restaurants right there...and a lot of night life...AND the best Department Store/Supermarket in Barcelona (El Corte Ingles--which is right on the Placa)...

If not directly AT the Placa Catalunya, better to be slightly to the NORTH in the Eixample District (look for addresses on Passieg de Gracia or Corts Catalans or nearby) than to the south (even though the south may sound more interesting with hotels near Las Ramblas or the Barri Gotic--or sounding "closer to the port"...The neighborhoods actually get worse toward the port...and the buildings older and in worse repair with questionable air conditioning ans such...

Venice: There are two areas of town I would most recommend:

1) The area around Piazzale Roma (I've stayed here 3 times--Try the Capri, the Carlton or the Sofitel)...The advantage to this area is the proximity to P. Roma--the only place on Venice Proper to get a car, taxi or bus--makes the logistics SO MUCH SIMPLER...also very near the RR Station...My parents were just in Venice and I booked them into the Residenzia Cannaregio...which they found very nice-- a little off the beaten path up near the Ghetto...

2) The area around Piazza San Marco (We stayed there this last trip at the Anastasia)...harder to do the logistics--you're schlepping luggage on a vaporetti or you are paying dearly for a water taxi...but it puts you very close to some prime attractions--St. Mark's Cathedral, the Doge's Palace, the Bridge of Sighs, etc.

Actually, anywhere you stay on Venice Proper works well as you can get anywhere on foot or by Vaporetti (buy a pass--12 euro pp for 24 hours, 25 euro pp for 72 hours--for unlimited use of public transportation)...But try not to stay on Lido or in Mestre...despite what some will tell you--Lido is another island off the Lagoon and it's a major trip back and forth by boat...Mestre is on the mainland near the airport...and while convenient for those just flying in and out, it is far more difficult to experience the real Venice...

Good luck...

Archived