Taxi to Ruins

Sheils65

We are looking to just do a bit of sightseeing in Belize on our own. Don't know how safe it would be. Was pondering taking a taxi to the ruins and just exploring around there and then hitting the beach before getting back on the ship. Does anyone have any input for me? I will be traveling with my 2 sons, 15-18. We are up for anything, as long as it is fun and worry free!! :)

We have been to both ruins.

Would HIGHLY NOT recommend anyone taking a taxi to either of the ruins. Simple reason is the distance and related travel time you have to travel to get to the ruins. Than the time for you to tour the ruins prior to returning to your taxi for the trip back.

Now just for fun lets assume that your taxi driver brings you there and than leaves. At either place you are at a very remote area with no phone and no taxi to return to the boat. And boy that is one walk you do not wish to make. You will certainly miss your vessel before you can get a ride back into town.

Spend the money on a ship excursion and play it safe this once would be our recommendation.

Visiting either of the ruins is not a place where you want to be a penny pincher and take a chance.

Please take the ship's excursion. On one of our ship excursions they had to hold up the vessel for us as our tour bus was running late upon returning to Belize City. No cruise line is going to wait on someone returning late to the vessel in a taxi.

So PLEASE play it safe and take a ship excursion.

Thank you for all the info. I am really not lookin to penny pinch, just was thinking if we could do the city at our own pace. But what you are saying does make perfectly good sense. Still undecided what we will do there, we were going to go cave tubing which is fun but don't get to see much of anything else from what I am reading. Well we still have time before we cruise. Decisions, decisions lol Thanks again.........Sheils

Archived