HAL's Shore Excursions in Puntarenas

du2cruise

I'm starting to look at various shore excursions for our Panama Canal cruise. Has anyone done the skywalk in the forest optional tour offered by HAL in Puntarenas? If so what was your opinion of it? There is no mention in the description of a guide or naturalist being with the group during the walk. Is this a self guided tour, and if so are there any handouts about the route we're taking?

Also, the walk is 1 & 1/2 hours, the return drive is 1 hour (and probably at least that long to get there) which leaves 1 & 1/2 hours of the estimated duration. Is there anything else assigned to this time, or is it flex and/or standing in line allowance? I know I can contact customer support, but thought I'd first see if someone has done this excursion through HAL Or, for that matter, any other one you would recommend? Thanks for any information.

We did this excursion last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The bus ride there is long but we were kept entertained and informed by our guide. He gave us a brief history and showed us a lot of pictures. It turned out he had spent time travelling in North America, giving talks on CR and its ecology in elementary schools. We also got to stop along the road on the way back and see a large group of crocodiles sunning themselves and swimming.

On the actual forest walk, he was very informative, pointing out and identifying plants, insect and animal life.

I would recommend this tour again although I don't know if it would be as good with another guide. (Sorry - I don't remember his name.)

Mollynme, thanks so much for this. It's good to hear from someone who has done the tour. A couple of other questions if you don't mind. How many people were on your tour? And did you find hiking boots were necessary (as recommended in the tour description), or would any shoe with a good walking sole on it do?

I think that there were about 20 of us. That seemed to be a good size to be able to hear the guide all along the way.

My little group of 3 wore comfortable walking shoes but others may have worn hiking boots. As long as they have good traction, you're probably OK. It was quite slippery in places and at least one person wiped out in the mud.

I think that there were about 20 of us. That seemed to be a good size to be able to hear the guide all along the way.

My little group of 3 wore comfortable walking shoes but others may have worn hiking boots. As long as they have good traction, you're probably OK. It was quite slippery in places and at least one person wiped out in the mud.

Thanks again for answering my questions. I had wondered how easily the guide could be heard during the walk, and it sounds like there was no problem. If we do this we probably will go with regular walking shoes also. Can't see taking a separate pair for the one day.

Archived