First Cruise report

memoe

Well, I just got back from my first cruise and I am ready to go again (tomorrow if I could)

I was on the Carnival Fascination. It was fantastic.

The food was very good and plentiful. The staff was very,very pleasant and helpful. Always friendly and accommodating.

The ship has just been refurbished and it looked amazing. The rooms on the Empress deck were fantastic. The showers were plenty big, (but I am glad I brought the shoe bag for the back or the door)and very, very clean, the hallways were clean, and constantly being cleaned.(That was good to see with the novo virus scare)

Now here are some of my recommendations....

First, don't over pack,

you need comfortable clothes for the day time, a comfy cover up for the pool and when you want to walk around. Your oldest favorite shoes are the best. DO NOT GET YOUR FEET (BOTTOMS) DONE BEFORE THE CRUISE, after the first shore excursion I was in agony because the bottoms of my feet were so soft there was no "cushion" to make it through the day. They have a spa on board and it is worth it to go on the last "day at sea"

Try to find formal clothes that you can change the look with a shrug, or a shawl, or blouse, so you can use the same outfit more than one night. You can wear casual clothes (no jeans) into the dining room on the Fascination and after the shore excursions, they are pretty lenient.

On the Fascination there is a store where everything is $10.00...pashmina wraps, evening bags, jewelry, watches, and the such. You don't need to pack that much for a shorter cruise. Buy it on the ship.

Take a bag that folds easily or a backpack for the shore excursions. If you have a small "bag" with a lanyard (string) that will hold a few bills credit cards etc. it will also be helpful. You must always carry your sun and sail card with you, and your I.D. when you get on and off the ship, so handy is the best way.

If you can pack a water bottle carrier do it, it will save you a few bucks on water. You can fill it at dinner, or any of the bars.

A night light is a good idea if you don't like a dark room. even with a window it was very dark. The power strip came in very handy. They DO NOT HAVE HAIR DRYERS, but there is a laundry room, with an iron.

Make sure you take a jacket, it gets cold on the water at night, and all the rooms are air conditioned to the maxi.

Single dollars are important, you don't have to use any money on board but when you get to the ports of call you want some money available to tip out and it is hard to get change.

If your vacation time allows it, use one day before and one day after for a rest over in your departure city for your own sanity.

We got back to Miami on Friday morning, and I ended up going to bed at 7:00 PM and woke the next morning at 8:00 am, I was exhausted from the whole trip. If I had, had to fly home the same day it would have been awful.

Take a pedometer...you will be surprised at how much you walk.

Go to the Shopping "lecture" it is well worth it.

Matt, our savvy shopper told us all the places to go and not to go for everything, and it was a huge help. I would suggest you stay off the back streets in Cozumel, they can be very intimidating, especially alone.

Obviously I don't know if other cruise lines offer this service but it was great.

Well, that's all I can think of right now.

If you are reading this and you are a first time cruiser, I hope you will find some of these things helpful.

I had one of the best times of my life, and I can't wait to plan another one.

Memoe

Nice review, while I have been at this cruise thing for years, its alway nice to here the excitment about someone's first cruise. Now you can enjoy the

waiting that must takle place untill your next cruise. The back streets of Coz are safe, but many don't like the way the shopkeepers shout for you

to come inside, then give your the hard sell. This practice is common is many

parts of the world, but strange for us in from the States.

we did not have a hair dryer...

One more thing I wanted to add is this...

Once you have met your waiters or room steward ( and you see how hard they work and how great they are)along with their tip you could purchase (world wide) phone cards for them as an extra "tip". They only get to call home once a week and it is expensive for them...I asked my waiter and he said it would be a great idea ( I only wish I had thought of it earlier)

Hope this helps someone.

Memoe

Archived