Civitavecchia to Rome

Tomko2

My husband and I opted for a shuttle service (airportconnection.it) that will cost 44 Euro from airport to hotel in Rome, 99 Euro from hotel (near Vatican) to port, and 99 Euro from port to airport after the cruise. It is not a private ride like a limo, they may have other passengers that they are dropping off. For a private limo the rates were around 130 Euro, so we are saving a little and thought this was the best way for us. This is our first cruise, so we may think differently afterwards!

We have a cruise that departs at 5pm (I assume checkin is 1pm - 3pm) and we are flying in the same day arriving (hopefully!!) at 8.50am. Any suggestions on what we should do? Do we go straight to the port (how for a family of 4?)? Any suggestions appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Mark

you could go take your luggage and then go back into Rome (I know in Alaska -Seward- HAL had boarding at 11:30am, we than had lunch and went ino town. I know Rome is more difficult.

Why not find a limo company and negotiate a price to take you sigtseeing for 3-4 hours before dropping you off at the ship? You could go by the Trevi, Roman Forum, Catacombs, Pantheon etc.

Tomko2

My husband and I opted for a shuttle service (airportconnection.it) that will cost 44 Euro from airport to hotel in Rome, 99 Euro from hotel (near Vatican) to port, and 99 Euro from port to airport after the cruise. It is not a private ride like a limo, they may have other passengers that they are dropping off. For a private limo the rates were around 130 Euro, so we are saving a little and thought this was the best way for us. This is our first cruise, so we may think differently afterwards!

Thank you CasaM -- we will definitely be going this route. What a great cruise to pick for your first cruise.

Kathy

To make long stories short:

Just take the FREE SHUTTLE BUS from your ship to the Port Entrance Area

When you arrive make a turn to the right to exit the port area. Follow the street

MusCvViaGirabaldi-vi.jpg

and following sign:

MusCvHinweisFS1-vi.jpg

MusCvHinweisFS2-vi.jpg

When you see on the left side the HOTEL DE VILLE change the walkside from the promenade

There you will find on the left side the railways terminal building:

When a ship is arrived (like with us more than one) there are long queues.

But we booked in advance via Internet http://www.trenitalia.com and so we can just collect our tickets at this machine:

MusCvBahnhofAutomat-vi.jpg

But do not forget to validate your tickets by pushing them in this cancellation machine:

MusCvEntwerter-vi.jpg

If you want to go to Roma Termini you may use any train (incl. IC trains).

If you want to go to Roma S. Pietro (Vatican) you can only use Regional Trains. Some of them starts from outside platforms of 1, i. e. turn right and walk to the end of the hall on the right side.

Trains to S. Pietro need approx. 45 minutes.

Trains to Termini need approx. 50 minutes (IC) to a little bit more than 1 hour (Regional Train).

Regards

HeinBloed

1. I wanted to post more photos but it is limited to 5.

2. There is MORE than one berth in Civitavechhia port. So no idea about a hill - but our berth was too far away to walk!!!

3. The train solution is nothing for someone who has a lot of baggage. But when we arrived there were taxis just in front of the ship. You can ask them to get you to the ship and v.v.

4. Most of the shipping lines offering transfers to Rome or to the airport. It's always a question if I want to spend the money for the transfer and do not having trouble. You spends thousands of dollars to get on the cruise and save the transfer???

The train solution is great for shore excursions!

I would book a limo which collect me at the ship and get me right to Rome or to the airport.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B.: Do not forget the very last hill: when you approach the station. One block it goes upwards!!!

Let's make a long story short again:

UNIQUE for all ships and berth:

Distance between port entrance: 1/4 mile incl. 2 hill to get to the station or these steps on the right:

MusCvBahnhof-vi.jpg

The building on the right are on the lower level of the promenade while the station building left is connected with steps.

MusCvHillFS-vi.jpg

But also from the bus stop at the port entrance area you must get few steps upwards or a small hill:

MusCvHillPortEntrance-vi.jpg

If you are going to Rome you are lucky: mostly from platform 1 and 1T (no steps).

If you are coming from Rome do not forget the steps in the station to get from platform 2 to the tunnel and then to the terminal building.

For the section from ship to the port entrance:

it could differ due to exact final berth!

If you want to call a cab (as cab in front of the ship might only offer to go to Rome for sightseeing or you wait until no other is more going to Rome and they need to drive back to the station anyway) use your mobile phone and call:

+39076626121

You write here about 12,00 EUR and other forums report about 10,00 EUR - the truth will be somewhere around depending of the final location of your berth.

It's nothing wrong to save money. Our cruise line offered transfered to Rome for 43,00 EUR (abt. 55,00 USD) for a transfer to Rome and back to the ship. So if you book you must not taking care of anything.

But we did not used as we used the free shuttle bus, walked the 1/4 mile, need to queue up for tickets, walk to the trains, get on the trains etc.. and we paid about 10,00 EUR for return-tickets.

So anyone who wants to save the money need to know that this another quality of transfer than using the ship's transfer.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Just to make sure:

we are not about hills you can go downhill skiing if there is snow.

But you see on one pictures there is a fence covering some steps (10-15).

So you can walk straight along side of the promenade and you just walk up the steps

or you cross already at the Hotel de Ville the street and you have a one block long hill.

All Donna would like so say: Also we are talking about 10 feet altitude level difference between the promenade level and the station level it could be a big big difference for those bodies who have baggage with them!!!

So even with Trolleys one block slowly upwards can replace one hour of excersises in the gym.

You will not find the "hills" on map. That's only a very practical advise from Donna before somebody will beat us because we have not tell something that it's a plain and even way from the port to the station.

Therefore once again: perfect for those who are going on shore excursion - perfect for those who has small baggage with them. But nothing for someone who has in each hand a big suitcase without wheel. A plain and even route 1/4 mile you can test at home. If you have a total difference of 20 ft difference of altitude on 1/4 mile you know what you did. This you will not remark as hill when you just walk without baggage but in your bones and muscles when you carry heavy baggage with you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived