Dawn Cabin 10700 - Handicap Accessible Balcony

SteveCT

My parents just booked an 11-day Canada and New England cruise for their anniversary. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of this cabin or a similar one? Dad's confined to a power wheelchair and I'm hoping some photos will help ease their minds.

I stayed in a minisuite on 11 but probably these aspects are the same.

Walk/ride in shower with rails, toilet has good rails on both sides, the bathroom is level with rest of cabin. The shower drain works well to keep water flooding rest of bathroom unless you put the water pressure on full.

Balcony has somewhat steep ramp for wheelchair to get over glass door opening. Interior room is about 50% bigger than non-handicap.

Very good thing is you are so close to the elevator -- if you weren't, you would have problems getting through room hallways because of cleaning carts blocking. With this in mind, take elevator to deck 7 to go to front of ship instead of attempting room hallways on your floor.

Only one of the 3 elevators goes to the wheelchair access for main dining on Deck 6, so you might need to switch elevators on Deck 7, not a problem.

They have a couple good wheelchair spots on each side of the lower level of the theatre right at the entrance.

You have an awesome itinerary, we did 7 day canada on dawn last month, wish we had a 10/11 day like they have for 2007.

We stayed in that suite and were delighted with the space. The w/c access is good for the cabin but difficult for the balcony. however, the 6th deck has plenty of space for a w/c and views. I prefer a shower chair to the bench on the wall. Your attendant will get you one.

I am in a chair and was on the Dawn last March. Room is large enough to move a round easily. Bathroom has plenty of room. The room is about 4 feet wider than normal and so is the balcony. Try the ramp in the room is fine but the one on the balcony is way too steep. I had to go out backwards and do some hopping i tried wheeliing and ended up in the railing wall. To get around the ship either go down to deck 7 and go forward or go to 12 and cut thru the garden cafe if you want to go to Spinnekers. If you go to a show they have wheelchair space on top with removable seats. People could be sitting there oblivious to the fact that you have to sit there you don't have a option, they can move. Have fun it is a great ship, and let them help you up & down the gangways.

Glenn

Archived