Are Skinny Jeans Dying Out Already?

DebbieCruiser

Hold on to your britches ladies, London is experiencing the return of high-waisted jeans! Topshop has them for spring and if this catches on, they may be in your future too! :eek:

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=42332&langId=-1&top=Y

They also have high-waisted shorts.

Wide leg and super flare legs are there along with the skinny jeans. Looks like every possible look will be in style this year.

My MIL taught me this- "if you wear a style once around, you will be too old to wear it when it comes back." We'd go shopping and I'd see a cute tunic when they were in, and she'd say, "Nope- too 70s. I've already done it. You can get it, though."

Well, this skinny jean thing, and the whole 80s revival, reminds me of being in middle school all over again. I wore leggings, and skinny jeans, and long sweaters. Now I see what she meant! I only see teenagers in the leggings/skinny jeans!

I decided that if I refuse to buy skinny jeans, other people are probably doing the same, and they will go away and die. They are NOT flattering! I am hooked on boot cut forever!

(Oh, and mom jeans are the WORST. Ugh- I went to a craft show this weekend and it was like the capital of mom jeans.)

I am so right there with you!! I am out on the skinny jeans. I am a mom, but I'm out on the mom jeans too. I love boot cut and will always stick to the classics-- and I am not old yet-- just 29! :p

I love your dogs, by the way.. My little 8 year old Lucy is my Pride and Joy, although she's a firecracker!

Out at the clubs last night I saw one girl that was wearing jeans that would be considered skinny jeans with the very tight leg. I saw hundreds wearing flare leg & boot cut leg jeans. Are skinny jeans already on the way out? Gee, that was quick!

Lord, I hope so.

Out at the clubs last night I saw one girl that was wearing jeans that would be considered skinny jeans with the very tight leg. I saw hundreds wearing flare leg & boot cut leg jeans. Are skinny jeans already on the way out? Gee, that was quick!

Lord, I hope so. They weren't around long the last time they were hot. Probably because they don't look good on many people except the very young and very skinny

I'm thinking of opening a clothes store where all the clothing is labled as two sizes less than what they really are. Any comments?

I actually think that New York & Company is already doing that. I wear size 4 (somtimes a 2) and I swear, every time I go into NY&Co....a size 0 pants is what I have to get. Not that I'm complaining. Express is that way too.

As far as for the skinny jeans....I knew they wouldn't fly at all. And I was also horrified when the leggings came back into style. I hated them in the 80's and I hate them even more now.

Give me a great-fitting pair of low rise boot cut jeans and I'm happy. I would never even try on a pair of skinny jeans. Yuck.

I was looking for pants for work and ended up grabbing about 8 pairs to try on. A couple of them were the "skinny" type and boy....they looked awful! It was like I was experiencing a really BAD case of the 90s but without the big hair/bangs. But now I can say that I know for sure that I, 105lbs 5'5" tall size 4, do not want to have anything to do with these style of pants. I tried!! ;)

I have a related question-

I really dislike capri's. I had one pair and hardly ever wore them. One small reason is my body shape. I'm 5'7 and wear a 12, but I carry all the excess weight in my gut and butt. (I'm losing weight, but it's slow) Capri's or skinny pants make me look like a popsicle. ;) It's not pretty.

So, for you wonderful girls who live in New York and/or have your finger on fashion's pulse... will this look go out of style soon? (I hope)

Personally, I really don't like the look on anyone. But I don't claim to be a fashion expert. Maybe it's because of the way I see it worn or the lack of fashionable shoes I see with them.... Maybe because women I know wear them regardless of how they look in them. Many won't wear shorts so they wear capri's. Not sure...

Can I be fashionable without capri's?? :eek:

I like classic looks and don't have very trendy clothing...but I don't want to look like I'm older than I am. I'm 46 and have a young outlook. That's why I hesitate to buy knit pants or those travel knit outfits from places like Coldwater Creek or the travel catalogs. I don't want to wear matronly clothing until I'm a matron!! (say, oh, seventy!!) Anyone have success buying young looking fashions from those places?

Lets hope so. I've bought some travel knit dresses from Coldwater Creek and they were not matronly at all. Their pants don't fit me so I haven't tried any of those. The dresses are really cute. One of them is black with little pineapples all over it. I just fold it and put it in the suitcase, take it out and wear it. Throw it in the washer & dryer. I also have a solid black one with little cap sleeves that you can literally wear anywhere. Dress it up or down and it looks great. I have never found anything at Kohls. The store close to here is so junked up, you couldn't find anything. I gave up and haven't been back. It looked like a flea market.

After reading all the posts about thin jeans and mom jeans

and 'long zippers', I had to shop and see:

sure enough, even though I am short and wide,

jeans for me were available and had much shorter

zippers than what I had remembered from years ago.

I got a pair with a short zipper, so now I'm in style?

The legs were folded up and held up with metal grommets,

but when I put them down they are just the right length!

(petite sizes are still too long on me, and I didn't want to

shorten them). They have cargo pockets, so DH says now

I can carry things for him!

No, I will NOT wear them in a ship's dining room!

Archived