Appleton Estate Rum Tour

cantwaittocruz

• 2 months later...

I search ed6 pages and still can't find the answer to this question. Has anyone done the Appleton rum estate tour? Silly question but can you buy rum at the estate. I see you can sample but it says nothing about a gift shop or how many bottles you can bring back to the U.S.

Fom Montego Bay, this is a do-able trip, but it will be a long ride. You'll need to figure that you'll be in a vehicle for a minimum of 2-2.5 hours one way without stops to get to Appleton. The tour lasts about an hour, maybe a bit more depending on how much time you take lingering over the different rum samples to taste. Then factor in your return ride to MoBay...4-5 hours of riding total.

You can buy Appleton Rums and Rum Creams at the Estate, but believe it or not, it's often the same price or even a bit less to purchase it from gift shops or grocery stores.

If you live in the States, each adult is allowed two liters of alcohol to bring back, and an unlimited amount of rum cream as the alcohol content is only 17% and does not count in the items of limit.

Sangsters or World's End (same company but World's End is the label for the 'flavored' rum creams is by far and away the best brand to get. Try lacing your morning coffee with a shot to replace cream and sugar...you may wind up making a return visit to the island just to pick up more!

Fom Montego Bay, this is a do-able trip, but it will be a long ride. You'll need to figure that you'll be in a vehicle for a minimum of 2-2.5 hours one way without stops to get to Appleton. The tour lasts about an hour, maybe a bit more depending on how much time you take lingering over the different rum samples to taste. Then factor in your return ride to MoBay...4-5 hours of riding total.

You can buy Appleton Rums and Rum Creams at the Estate, but believe it or not, it's often the same price or even a bit less to purchase it from gift shops or grocery stores.

If you live in the States, each adult is allowed two liters of alcohol to bring back, and an unlimited amount of rum cream as the alcohol content is only 17% and does not count in the items of limit.

Sangsters or World's End (same company but World's End is the label for the 'flavored' rum creams is by far and away the best brand to get. Try lacing your morning coffee with a shot to replace cream and sugar...you may wind up making a return visit to the island just to pick up more!

• 2 months later...

I did this tour a few years ago when visiting Jamaica for a week (actually went with TOTTT). My opinion is that there are a lot of better ways to spend the few hours you will have. It would be a lot of driving for a short and not that exciting of a tour - unless you are a real rum enthusiest.

Austin, if the Carnival company is "suggesting" that the trip from MoBay to Appleton is only a 1.5 hour ride...they must be intending to fly at some point rather than just drive. Even a 'breakneck' speed (which is impossible to do on the road you'll be traveling)...there is no way possible I can see how this could be done...at the very, very least, two hours.

The road from MoBay to Appleton will be on the inland "highway"...a two lane road of twists and turns, the occassional pothole and lots of road patches (too narrow to ever get road grading equipment here and do a proper job.) At some point, they're going to have to leave this 'highway' and take secondary roads...more twists, turns and even rougher than the highway.

I've lived here for nine years now and have been in the tour business for seven...Appleton is one of our destinations...all drivers from MoBay we chat with when there say the same thing...2 hours minimum.

Granted, this is only 30 minutes more than what Carnival 'suggests'...and there is maybe their catch with wording...they would suggest this amount of time if it were up to them to change the roads here on the island.

However, if you like rum and are interested in the process of making it, I do not want to seem like I'm discouraging you from making this excursion the day you land in MoBay...for the rum enthusiast, it could be worth it.

Here is a link to some photos we've taken there over the past year that will at least give you an idea of what you might see:

APPLETON = http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1Aatm7dw4ZsX8A&notag=1

I would not suggest this tour for anyone who is culturally insensitive or likely to complain about narrow, curvy, bumpy roads. I loved it, but what I loved most was the two hour ride through Jamaica, getting to see the people, the scenery and the school children in their different uniforms as you pass through each different town. What I did not love was people complaining about the ride being too bumpy, people regretting the trip because they were "subjected" to having to see the poverty, etc.

As for the tour I do believe it is a lovely way to discover your rum tolerance. Before the tour of the factory you are given rum punch, the bartender told me the recipe was a secret, then you get to try 13 different types of rums and liqueurs after lunch. The gift shop sells very travel friendly sized bottles (200 ml) for 3 or 4 dollars each. I bought them for gifting purposes, I have no idea why they're sitting in my cupboard :D. Somewhere amongst all that tasting I learned how rum was made.

Austin, if the Carnival company is "suggesting" that the trip from MoBay to Appleton is only a 1.5 hour ride...they must be intending to fly at some point rather than just drive. Even a 'breakneck' speed (which is impossible to do on the road you'll be traveling)...there is no way possible I can see how this could be done...at the very, very least, two hours.

The road from MoBay to Appleton will be on the inland "highway"...a two lane road of twists and turns, the occassional pothole and lots of road patches (too narrow to ever get road grading equipment here and do a proper job.) At some point, they're going to have to leave this 'highway' and take secondary roads...more twists, turns and even rougher than the highway.

I've lived here for nine years now and have been in the tour business for seven...Appleton is one of our destinations...all drivers from MoBay we chat with when there say the same thing...2 hours minimum.

Granted, this is only 30 minutes more than what Carnival 'suggests'...and there is maybe their catch with wording...they would suggest this amount of time if it were up to them to change the roads here on the island.

However, if you like rum and are interested in the process of making it, I do not want to seem like I'm discouraging you from making this excursion the day you land in MoBay...for the rum enthusiast, it could be worth it.

Here is a link to some photos we've taken there over the past year that will at least give you an idea of what you might see:

APPLETON = http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1Aatm7dw4ZsX8A&notag=1

Thanks for the feedback. Your input is very much appreciated.

We did a land vacation in Nov. and did this tour that also included YS Falls and the Black River.

Once we got to the Appleton Rum Factory, we got to taste pure cane sugar, then we watch a 15 minute video regarding the making of rum, then we took a 20 minute guided tour of the grounds, which included tasting pure molasses (sp), then we did the rum tasting. Got to taste every type of Appleton rum except for the most expensive brands. After explaining all the different type of rum they make, they just gave us the bottles and little cups and we could taste as much as we wanted. There is a store on site in which you can purchase all their products. It is encourged by staff to please purchase there. We boought 2 bottles. We didn't check prices anywhere else, so don't know if the price was higher or lower. We were staying in Negril and the Appleton Rum factory was our last stop. It did take over 2 hours to get back to our hotel. The drive is very beautiful, but I agree the roads are windy and bumpy.

We have pictures of this tour on our site if your interested. They start here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/556185288koYEuz?start=84

Archived