Any feedback on the Sprit and Mexican cruise to Acapulco?

Suburban Drudgery

My family and I took that cruise this past January (and did the Pride a few years ago). It was wonderful! I found that I liked this itenerary more than that of the Pride's.

Make sure if you do book it that you enjoy your time in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. It is probably my favorite port in Mexico. My dad and I did a snorkeling trip, then walked around (away from the busy area) and got to see an AMAZING side of Mexico. It was very different from many of the other ports we've been to. It was very clean, quiet and I felt very safe there. We walked through the town and found a great little outdoor bar where we watched football, had some drinks and snacks and talked to the owner about his kids (hard with the language barrier, but it worked out in the end!).

Overall, I would highly recommend this cruise. My family and I really enjoyed it :) Good luck!

DH and I did the Spirit cruise to Mexico about three weeks ago. I will give you my two cents worth on this cruise so you have some information to go on.

We didn't do any shore execursions through the ship, we simply wanted to pretty much relax and not have to worry about being anywhere at a certain time.

Manzanillo - we had planned on taking a taxi but when we got off the ship about 10:30 a.m. there was a large bus there. We were told the bus would take us into town. For $3.00 pp/rt we took the bus which drops you off and picks you up in the same location. We walked around, went into several shops. The bus comes back by about every 15 minutes to take people back to the ship. One of the things I will remember most about Manzanillo is we went to the Supper Club for dinner that night at 6:30 and while there we saw an absolutely out of this world sunset as we were leaving Manzanillo. By the way the food was really good there.

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa - This is a tender port. Took a taxi over to Ixatapa. I loved Ixtapa. Very clean. Unfortunately though the day we were there the weather was very very hot. I don't mean hot as in a little warm, I mean hot, to the point I was about to pass out from the heat. Again, we went shopping but only one of the shops we went into took Visa cards. Made shopping difficult as we didn't want to have money we knew nothing about. Walked along the beach. I read on these boards about a massage place right on the beach, found it and had a massage for nearly an hour for $10.00. Had a margarita but because of the heat I needed to be careful. Taxi back to the tender, met a nice family from Australia. Enjoyed talking with them while we were waiting. I found it quite interesting to learn where all they had been, not just doing the cruise but all of the other cities they had been to pre-cruise and where they were going post-cruise. Someday I hope to go back to Ixtapa and spend some more time.

Acapulco - arrived in Acapulco just as the sun was starting to rise. We had an aft cabin and I thoroughly enjoyed being out on the balcony as were coming into Acapulco. Once we got off the ship we were bombarded with all of the taxi drivers, etc. wanting to offer their services. After about five minutes of getting through the crowd of people, etc. we found ourselves a taxi. I wanted to ride in a VW taxi, which there are plenty around. After listening to one of the taxi driver's I said ok but do you have a VW? He said yes, well, you guessed it, he did not. I had to tell him thanks but no thanks. At last less than 15 seconds later we have a taxi and a driver and yes he has a VW. Our driver was SO NICE. His name was Carlos. He spoke good English and as it turns out he went to school for many years in Houston. He drove us all over, including a stop to see the cliff divers, he told us where he would be after the divers were finished and sure enough there he was. He took us to an internet cafe (there was a Woolworth's right across the street, I thought that was kinda funny), the flea market, to a nice park, over to the big hotel area and all for $10.00 or something like that. Of course we paid him more. At one point I had to laugh because as I am shopping not only do I have my husband literally following me but Carlos the taxi driver is following me too.

Okay, sorry, I got a bit wordy there. Didn't mean too. Hope you enjoy your cruise to the Mexica Riveria!

Archived