Should we bring a car sear

K1226M

We will be going on Navigator of the Seas in April 07. We will have our 18month old with us. We will only be in the car from the airport to the hotel and then hotel to the ship the next day. Also he will not have his own seat on the plane. Do we need a car seat? Would a taxi or car service be able to provide one for us for the short rides that we need? Also what about transportation on the islands?

Thanks

Karen

I'm still struggling with this one. After reading these boars many times, I find 3 camps on the issue: You can (1) Hold and Pray; (2) bring your car seat; or (3) get one of those packable, portable car seats (but check age and weight for those as you said your child is 18 months). There are some other posts on this board somewhere about those portable car seats and how people did with them.

I personally don't take car seats. I use the cruise transfers which take you from the airport to the ship on really big buses that don't have seat belts anyway. As for shore excursions, I just want to take my kids to the beach but am afraid to just put them in a minivan cab on the islands, so I try to book through the ship (even though more expensive) if they are using bigger buses. Otherwise I just stay on the ship.:eek: Good luck!!!!

Car services do provide car seats but you have to call ahead and set it up to make sure. Taxis do not.

This is how we deal with it...we never take taxis. Have a town car pick us up at the airport (with car seats) and take us to the hotel. We use the cruise ship's buses to get to the pier.

Then on the islands, once again, we only book excursions through the cruise ship (large buses), no taxis.

I think one of the joys of cruising is the freedom from car seats. Some of the ship excursions will let you take your toddler for free if she sits on your lap, and most of the transportation doesn't have the seatbelts that are needed to use a car seat.

You might call your hotel to see who they suggest using transportation-wise that offers car seats from the airport.

Best,

Mia

We actually take our own car from our home to the airport and park it for the week. For us that winds up being cheaper than car service/limo. Then we do as I stated in the other post (no car seats, big buses, tours only through the ship on big buses).

Archived