Appleton Estate Rum Tour Questions

cantwaittocruz

I posted on the Jamaica forum but no response so maybe this one will do better. Has anyone done this excursion? How long is the drive? Do you see good scenery along the way? Would you recommend this tour? Leaving Nov. 26 on the Conquest. Thanks for any info you can offer!

I posted on the Jamaica forum but no response so maybe this one will do better. Has anyone done this excursion? How long is the drive? Do you see good scenery along the way? Would you recommend this tour? Leaving Nov. 26 on the Conquest. Thanks for any info you can offer!

We did a different tour in Jamaica last month. If you do the Rum tour, be sure to eat a good breakfast before you go. We thought about taking the tour, but we're not big drinkers and didn't think we'd enjoy it as much as folks who really know their rum.

We did the Rum tour from the Conquest in January 2006.

The ride was long, but interesting- you get to see the "real" Jamaica that you won't see from the port cities- the poverty is shocking, but the scenery is nice. Also, if you have a weak stomach, don't sit in the front of the bus- the roads are narrow and winding, and I guarantee there will be some "near misses"- but the Jamaicans apparently think nothing of having two way traffic on a road 1.5 lanes wide! I think we will remember the drive more than the tour :)

The rum tour was interesting, but we didn't drink very much (though you can drink all you like- from a wide variety of rums- they just leave the bottles out buffet style)- the lunch (provided) was filling and spicy, and took away our drinking appetite some.

Each person also gets a free, small bottle of rum (just a few ounces)- and the Carnival people didn't confiscate it- I think they saw it, but just sort of overlooked it- made a nice drink on the balcony that night.

I think that if you buy a larger bottle at the store (very reasonable rum prices), they will keep it for you until the end of the cruise.

jb

Appleton is my Rum of choice here at home so the tour was very interesting.

The ride to the estate was long ( 90 min from mobay ) and the driver was wild to say the least.

There were no stops along the way for bathroom breaks. If you eat a big breakfast, you may be in for a long ride.

They serve a rum punch with the lunch (strong) and there is a Rum tasting and talk after lunch. You can then buy Rum in the their store. They did give us several small (50ml) bottles of Rum.

I would go again if we hadn't already been there.

Del

• 9 months later...

Archived