For a relaxing day, don't rule out Lingberg Bay

crazylarry

I just got off a cruise where our 4th port of call was St. Thomas. After having visited more crowded beaches, shopping areas, etc. we were looking for a quiet beach for relaxation and quiet.

Lindberg Bay/Emerald Beach was a great choice! White sandy beach and a gorgeous lagoon area where there are 2-3 resort hotels. There are two beach bars/restaurants but not much more. Lounge chairs were $5 each. No vendors trying to sell beads or anything else. Shade is provided by palm and almond trees, the gentle breezes are very calming.

Thumbs up for Lindberg Bay versus the more crowded Coki and Megan's Bay. Its fairly close to the airport and it was cool watching planes take off and land (this definitely enhanced the overall experience). Cab fare is $6 each from the cruise port. Enjoy!;)

Thank you for the information. Did you have the taxi take you to a particular hotel on the beach? Is the water calm and is there a gentle slope going into the water? I'm trying to determine if this would be a good beach for very young children (age 3, 4, 6).

Thanks!

You can walk very easily to Lindberg from Crown Bay - it takes about 20 minutes. Just head for Nisky Center (trust me - you can't miss it once you exit Crown Bay), go across the parking lot to the sidewalk on the main street, and make a left. Make another left at the street at the end of the airport runway, and walk through the Best Western Emerald Beach parking lot through the wedding arch. You're there!

Katsmom:

As Islander said, the water is very calm and there is a very gentle slope going into the water. There were numerous kids on the beach the day we were there but it never got crowded. Also, the kids would probably enjoy watching the planes take off and land. Have fun!

Thanks for the information. We are docking at Havensite so it would be a bit farther than from Crown Bay. We had originally planned on going to Secret Harbor but Lindberg looks promising especially with a playground and planes flying overhead. Are there any other differences between Secret Harbor and Lindberg that would make one more appealing than the other? Thanks!

Personally, I was not at all impressed with Emerald Beach compared to the rest of the beaches on St Thomas and St John. We spent 1 night there before flying home from a land-based vacation this summer. Not much of a view and the water wasn't nearly as pretty as the other beaches. We spent a night at Secret Harbour Beach Resort and I would definitely choose Secret Harbour over Emerald, just my opinion.

Where is Secret Harbor?

Jenn

It's close to Red Hook. Here's a link to a map of St Thomas, if you look almost directly southwest of Red Hook you'll see Nazareth Bay. That's where Secret Harbour is (#31 on the map).

http://www.usvi-on-line.com/st/stmap.shtml

If I recall, it's about a 20-30 minute drive from Charlotte Amalie. Here are a couple of pictures...

USVI_JUN06389.jpg

USVI_JUN06050.jpg

Islander:

We will be in St Thomas in a couple of weeks on the Navigator. I need a suggestion for a beach. We have done Coki, megans and sapphire. We probably enjoyed sapphire the most out of the 3. Give me a suggestion on another beach that has great views some snorkeling and a beach bar/restaurant. How is Cowpet? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Secret Harbor or Cowpet would be nice choices. They are very close to each other, you actually could stop at both. Cowpet is a pretty beach, lots of palm trees. There is a watersports booth with all sorts of things; kayaks, paddleboats etc. There are two bars/restaurants right by the entrance of the beach.

--Islander

Hello,

Mike - The closest you'd get I think would be just outside Red Hook so you'd have to walk around 1.3 miles.

Quiltsnh, a taxi to Secret Harbor from Havensight would be $10 pp, ow. No entrance fee. They do have food, there is a beach front restaurant/bar there. Lounge chairs are available (sometimes the attendants are there and charge non-guests a rental fee, sometimes they aren't around). The snorkeling is pretty good.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived