Sovereign 11/3/06 review

mollie jo

This was my 7th cruise but our first on the Sovereign. Cruising was myself, husband, and our two sons, ages 15 and 10. We chose this time because my boys were on fall break. This was their 2nd cruise, the first being on the Disney Wonder when they were 7 and 12.

Embarking was quick and we were on the ship by noon. I had filled out our Seapasses online and had our Bahamas forms already filled out. They won't let you get in line until this is done. We had lunch in the Windjammer. There was lots to choose from and we enjoyed all our breakfast, lunches, and even dinner on the last night here. I've read some complaints about the food, but we always found something to our liking. There is a deli, carving station, oriental station, salad, and various hot dishes to choose from. We also enjoyed pizza from Sorrentos. Did not try Johnny Rockets or Ben and Jerry's. Food is good and plentiful on the Sovereign! Our dinner the two nights we ate in the Mirage was also good, as was the service. My teenager ordered two entrees one night and two desserts the other. The waiter never batted an eye at this, as I'm sure it is done all the time. Didn't pay much attention to what other people were wearing at dinner, but we dressed cruise casual the first night and on the formal night I wore a long dress, my husband a suit, teenager a tie and sport coat, and 10 year old a dress shirt and tie. We had lots of pictures made with different backgrounds. The 8 X 10's are $20 a pop. But we hardly ever have pictures made so I buy them anyway.

The weather did not cooperate. No rain, but high winds and very rough seas. Our waiter said he had been on the ship two years and had never seen it like this. Just our luck. As a result of the weather, we did not get into Nassau until 3:00 pm. All shore excursions were cancelled. The captain announced we would also not be able to go to CocoaCay the next day and we would stay in Nassau until 10:00 the next morning. We did not get off the ship at all. This did not bother my boys at all because they were having such a good time in their clubs. We hardly saw the teenager except at dinner and the 10 year old was in the Ocean Adventure club practically every time they were open. We picked him up at midnight, and he would beg to stay till 1:00 am. Since the boys were busy in their clubs, my husband and I got to lay out on deck and read our books. It was so relaxing for us, not having to entertain the boys. There is a great band that plays by the pool, and people were always dancing and having a good time. The change of plans didn't seem to put a damper on anyone's spirits!

We had two interior cabins on deck 3. Thank goodness I booked two because they are extremely small. For the little bit extra, I would recommend this to any family of 4. There is a very small closet and 3 very small drawers to put things in. No sitting area, just two twin beds and a vanity with chair. Your suitcases will fit under the bed and there are some hooks to hang Pj's and robes on which came in handy. The beds are comfortable and you have more room if they stay apart. We were not able to get connecting rooms but side-by-side. My husband and I each shared a room with one of the boys. The bathroom is small and old looking. My shower didn't drain well and the commode was a little fussy. The other room was okay. We did get cute towel animals 2 of the 3 nights.

Now, for my only real complaint about the whole cruise. The nighttime shows. I was expecting "Broadway" type productions. Maybe there was one the first night, but my husband and I were unable to attend the Welcome Aboard show because the orientation and sign up for the Ocean Adventure club was during that time. The next two nights, the show was the same comedian. This was a disappointment to me because I usually always enjoy the shows on cruise ships.

The Sovereign is very well maintained, the service was good and the staff friendly. We had a wonderful trip in spite of the weather and will sail on her again if the opportunity arises.

Thanks for the info. Now you are going to make me think if it is worth trying to book connecting rooms for the four of us. It will cost us an extra $300 and we aren't planning on spending much time in the rooms anyway so we decided to try 4 in the room. I hope its worth saving the money. Next year will be the first year the kids are cruising and we are cruising twice.

Now, for my only real complaint about the whole cruise. The nighttime shows. I was expecting "Broadway" type productions. Maybe there was one the first night, but my husband and I were unable to attend the Welcome Aboard show because the orientation and sign up for the Ocean Adventure club was during that time. The next two nights, the show was the same comedian. This was a disappointment to me because I usually always enjoy the shows on cruise ships.

Mollie Jo, it's possible that because the seas were so rough for you guys that they had to cancel the production shows for the safety of the dancers.

Waterats, If there is any way possible do NOT do 4 to a room. We got off the Sov. on 11/3 and had 3 of us in 1 room. Waaay to crowded! Plus we kept banging our heads on the pullman beds even when they were folded up.

Granted we were 3 adults who take up more space than 2 adults/2 children, but there really isn't enough storage space for 4 people even in a quad cabin.

Thanks for the info. Now you are going to make me think if it is worth trying to book connecting rooms for the four of us. It will cost us an extra $300 and we aren't planning on spending much time in the rooms anyway so we decided to try 4 in the room. I hope its worth saving the money. Next year will be the first year the kids are cruising and we are cruising twice.

Waterrats, we were in an Ocean view with two adults and two kids, it wasn't that big a problem, we weren't in there often enough to matter. The one thing we did was split for formal evening prep. The boys (Father and Son) went and played in the arcade... The girls (Mother and Daughter) dressed, the boys came back and the girls left, only one glitch, father and son couldn't find son's belt for suit. Mom went back to cabin right after dinner and immediately found it:rolleyes:

Maura

We always weigh out the price difference and make our decision. We have had all 4 in a cabin - it works out, but it really is crowded. And one bathroom for four can get tiring. And storage is hard to come by. So we often get two cabins. And another way (great for me and dh) is that when my parents cruise with us, they LOVE to have the kids with them. So my mom will share a cabin with our dd and my dad will share with ds.

When we go to Alaska again next summer we have one child booked with us and one in with my parents - so we have two cabins for 3 people each. It was much cheaper this way than the 2 per cabin for that particular cruise.

The boys (Father and Son) went and played in the arcade... The girls (Mother and Daughter) dressed, the boys came back and the girls left, only one glitch, father and son couldn't find son's belt for suit. Mom went back to cabin right after dinner and immediately found it:rolleyes:

Maura

That's why they (men) couldn't survive without us... ;)

Now, let's see how long it takes for this post to be surrounded by flame throwers... :D :p

Mollie Jo, it's possible that because the seas were so rough for you guys that they had to cancel the production shows for the safety of the dancers.

I was on this cruise. The first night was a welcome show with a couple of numbers from the singers and dancers. Then there was a juggler.

The second night was the production show with the singers and dancers. It was suppose to be a comedian, but since we were docked in Nassau they had the production show instead. It was a movie themed show.

The last night's show was the comedian.

Archived