what is the location of the Tender Boats???

Kmack

We just booked our cruise for december and have been trying to do all our last minute research. We've cruised before and are familiar with the logistics for the most part. My question is that I've read on these boards that most of these islands do not have ports and so we will be tendered in. Does anyone know the exact location of these tenders. So from that point onwards we can figure out what is close by, transportation, how much we can cover in the day, etc. I feel like without this information we cannot even start to plan out excursions because I can't figure out where we will be.

These are the ports we will be visiting:

Acalpuloc

Puerto Vallarta

Cabo San Lucas

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa

Can you guys let me know where we get tendered and the best method of transportation to get out (i.e. walkable to downtown, need a taxi, can get a bus, etc)

Thank you so much for you help in advance!

First a little geography: none of these ports are islands. they are all part of Mexico and the North American continent. Now on to answer your question about tenders: the only one that is certainly a tender port is Cabos San Lucas. There are no docks there for cruise ships. At the rest you should be docked, unless there are too many ships in port that day. Then you may be tendered.

Enjoy

Ron

We just booked our cruise for december and have been trying to do all our last minute research. We've cruised before and are familiar with the logistics for the most part. My question is that I've read on these boards that most of these islands do not have ports and so we will be tendered in. Does anyone know the exact location of these tenders. So from that point onwards we can figure out what is close by, transportation, how much we can cover in the day, etc. I feel like without this information we cannot even start to plan out excursions because I can't figure out where we will be.

Acalpuloc

Puerto Vallarta

Cabo San Lucas

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa

Can you guys let me know where we get tendered and the best method of transportation to get out (i.e. walkable to downtown, need a taxi, can get a bus, etc)

Thank you so much for you help in advance!

In Acapulco you wil be docked. Zihuatenejo and Cabo are definitive. tenders.

P. Vallarta depends on how many more ships are in port. Sometimes therefore docked or tenders.

Check this board for many questions and answers what to do in various ports, maybe make your own tours. Also your cruise-company will offer excursions.

I've seen some ships in Acapulco use tenders - when there are three ships in port at the same time. I don't know how often that happpens (the 3 at a time). When I've seen the tenders used, I think the time traveled in them is about 15 minutes each way. In Acapulco the cruise ship terminal - and point where the tenders leave passengers - is in the middle of the historic zone of the city - centro - or, the "Zocalo" area (a block or two away). The terminal in Acapulco is very-well located and from which you can explore parts of the city on foot, by city bus or by taxi.

We just booked our cruise for december and have been trying to do all our last minute research. We've cruised before and are familiar with the logistics for the most part. My question is that I've read on these boards that most of these islands do not have ports and so we will be tendered in. Does anyone know the exact location of these tenders.

Acalpuloc

Puerto Vallarta

Cabo San Lucas

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa

From your itinerary it appear you will be on the NCL Star. I was on that cruise in October 2005. Everyone has informed you which are tender ports. But your question appears to be where are the tenders. The tenders are the life boats on the ship. There is no deep water dock in Cabo or Zihuatanejo, so the only dock is the tender dock. I believe you will be docked in Acalpulco. That leaves PV. The tender dock is right next to the main dock. If you are in PV on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, then you might have to tender in. If you are in PV on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday you might be docked.

Here is a link to my very long review of my Mexican Riviera cruise on the NCL Star ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13327

Star1-4-2-06.jpg

See those orange and white things just below the balconies? Those are the life boats. See the three near the front that look a little different than the rest? Those are the tenders.

PuertoVallartamarina.jpg

See the space between the rear of the Carnival Pride and the front of the other ship. That is the tender dock in PV.

Navigator.jpg

This photo shows a tender next to the Navigator of the Seas. In this case the Navigator was using a local tender rather than its own life boats.

thanks for the reponses. I think Cuizer2 and Mexico understood my question a little better. I wanted to know where in each port will I be dropped of by tender (i.e center of town, exact names of the streets, any landmarks). This way I can look at a map and figure out what is close by. I hope I am making myself clearer.

I called NCL (and yes we are taking the NCL Star) and they said that only 2 ports will be tendered: Acalpulco and Cabo San Lucas.

So my question is - for those 2 ports where will I be dropped off by the tender boats? What streets/location?

Then for Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa - where is the ship dock located in town? Once again -port name, street names???

Thanks

thanks for the reponses. I think Cuizer2 and Mexico understood my question a little better. I wanted to know where in each port will I be dropped of by tender (i.e center of town, exact names of the streets, any landmarks). This way I can look at a map and figure out what is close by. I hope I am making myself clearer.

I called NCL (and yes we are taking the NCL Star) and they said that only 2 ports will be tendered: Acalpulco and Cabo San Lucas.

So my question is - for those 2 ports where will I be dropped off by the tender boats? What streets/location?

Then for Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa - where is the ship dock located in town? Once again -port name, street names???

Thanks

The information you were given is wrong. I say 95% chance you are going to dock in Acalpulco. 100% chance you will tender in Zihuatanejo (there is no deep water dock in Zihuatanejo).

Here are some photos of the Star in Zihuatanejo Bay in October 2005 ...

Web+Zihua+-+Star+in+bay+-+1.jpg

As you can see, there is no dock in sight. This is a tender port.

Web+Zihua+-+Star+in+bay+-+4.jpg

Here is the dock in Zihuatanejo. As you can see, no large ships. Just small boats ...

Web+Zihua+Bay+-+pan+II.jpg

Here is the Star docked in Acapulco ...

Web+NCL+Star+from+across+Acapulco+Bay.jpg

Acapulco's dock is on the right side of the photo below. The dock is in front of the white and brown building just to the left of the green trees ...

Web+Acapulco+Bay+-+pan+1.jpg

Archived