Dress up night on Star

Sen

I will be on the Star next week, and I wanted to know about dress up night. Is formal dinning in the main dinning rooms, or can we dine anywhere on that night? :confused:

Century-Eastern Caribbean 9/04

Star-Mexican Riviera 11/14/06 ;) (Next week):cool: :) :D

I will be on the Star next week, and I wanted to know about dress up night. Is formal dinning in the main dinning rooms, or can we dine anywhere on that night?

Formal night is OPTIONAL on all NCL ships. Resort casual attire will be fine in any dining venue on OPTIONAL formal night.

In my opinion that sucks.

Cruise ships were supposed to be a formal vacation have at least 2 formal nights. This world is losing it's elegance.

Hopefully people still dress up for formal nights, I now I will

With NCL, the formal nights are Optional. You can wear resort casual every night if you choose. You will see between 30-50% dress formal on the Optional formal nights.

Even with the more formal RCCL and others like it, you will find some in the dining room on formal nights not dressed formal. Not that many are wearing tuxes any more. More suits and/or sports coats will be seen. Ladies from gowns to pant suits.

The number of nights that are formal are according to the length of the cruise.

Cruise ships were supposed to be a formal vacation have at least 2 formal nights. This world is losing it's elegance.

its not about elegance . it s about being on vacation and being comfortable IMO,, we love not having to dress up,, and love not having to take my DH tux, and all my dresses etc. it made the vacation more relaxing in my opinion .. to each is own

I was just on the Dawn last week and a lot of people dressed up for formal night and not only that, people were wearing suits and cocktail dresses throughout the week!

Dressing up = work. Vacation = not work.

I'm realy not even a fan of the non jeans/shorts at dinner requirement on non-formal nights, since a nice buton down or polo with clean khaki cargo shorts, I think, can be pulled off just as or more elegantly than the same with a wrinkled pair of khakis, which are permitted.

Even when I do work, I hate that I have to wear a necktie. How am I supposed to do my best thinking when I'm wearing something that could potentially be limiting the flow of blood to my brain?

It would suck if there were "no ships" for people like you to choose from. Obviously this is not your ship. But, should you go anyway I hope you bring along some duck tape. I don't think I need to explain what to do with it. :rolleyes:

Not everyone wants to go on a "formal" vacation. However, if you feel that strongly about it, then perhaps NCL is not the best cruise line for you. There are other cruise lines that would be more to your liking.

Formal Night is optional in all dining venues on all NCL ships. That it is the best part of Freestyle. Those that want to dress up can and those who do not, don't have to!

On my NCL Cruises, I have only seen about 40% of the passengers dressed up on the formal nights and even less if there is a second formal night during the cruise. That 40% range from tuxes to shirt/tie. The rest are in resort casual.

I have never worn more than a polo shirt, tennis shoes and kahki/dockers pants and have never felt out of place.

Who wrote that rule, that cruises is a formal vacation? I haven't see it anywhere.........

If anyone writes the rule, shouldn't it be the cruise line? You can sail on other cruise lines that enforces formal dress if you wish for everyone to be "forced" into "dressing to the nines". It's your choice.

Thankfully, NCL doesn't have formal dress rules, and that is a major reason why I choose to sail on NCL ships.

Historically, not everyone was permitted to dine at the First Class Restaurant aboard Ocean Liners. My forefathers and yours probably dined as steerage passengers, and were happy they werejust on a ship sailing to America.

Let the snobs of this world enjoy formality.

Who wrote that rule, that cruises is a formal vacation? I haven't see it anywhere.........

If anyone writes the rule, shouldn't it be the cruise line? You can sail on other cruise lines that enforces formal dress if you wish for everyone to be "forced" into "dressing to the nines". It's your choice.

Thankfully, NCL doesn't have formal dress rules, and that is a major reason why I choose to sail on NCL ships.

Historically, not everyone was permitted to dine at the First Class Restaurant aboard Ocean Liners. My forefathers and yours probably dined as steerage passengers, and were happy they werejust on a ship sailing to America.

Let the snobs of this world enjoy formality.

Well said.

all the dining areas, even the main dining rooms, have a "formal" look to them. very nice, nice low lighting...nice decor. blue lagoon and the buffet are the only casual looking dining area. the surcharge restaurants are even more so. Endless summer is open to the atrium, a nice viewing area.

Teppanyaki and the soho room are also open, have their own settings...nicely laid out. Cagney's is a up-scale steak house, more formal laid out. i didn't go into Le Bistro, but just sneaking a peek...very nice.

no where, other then blue lagoon or buffet, would you be out of place to dress up every night, if that is your wish. in the whole week, i saw 1 couple in nasty sweat suits, on formal night, come into the versailles. they were seated in a far corner, away from the main activity. there were hundred's of people dress very well, in line for photos.

however you want to dress for dinner, from resort causal to formal, you will have a great time and treated well.

I really don't think anyone dresses "formal" on any ship anymore. Sure people, including me, "dress up", but I haven't seen anybody truly dress in formal attire since we cruised on the Celebrity a few years ago. I do love to see my husband and other men in a tux and women in long formal gowns. That's part of the appeal of a cruise (at least for me)...we never dress formal for anything at home and doing so on the cruise kind of makes it special and romantic.

I really don't care if anyone dresses formal or not, but at least dress up a little for formal night.;)

".... there were hundred's of people dressed very well, in line for photos....

I think they should rename Formal Night.....Picture Night. Most people get "dressed up" to be photographed.

Some of our best pictures as a family originated on a cruise ship.

I think they should rename Formal Night.....Picture Night. Most people get "dressed up" to be photographed.

Some of our best pictures as a family originated on a cruise ship.

I agree. But to avoid the lines on formal night (since so many people have their pictures that night), my family has always gone on a non formal night for our pictures. The line is always minimal.

I agree. But to avoid the lines on formal night (since so many people have their pictures that night), my family has always gone on a non formal night for our pictures. The line is always minimal.

Or, you can do as we have done. Go dine while everyone else is in line, then have the photos made while everyone else is going to dine. It worked very well for us.

I was just on the Dawn last week and a lot of people dressed up for formal night and not only that, people were wearing suits and cocktail dresses throughout the week!
That's what I've noticed on all of our NCL cruises, too. I have been surprised to see so many people dressed up in all the restaurants.

I am dressing up. It's a nice dress, but's it's not exactly a ball gown. I also have a few other outfits that will hopefully go in some of the nicer restaraunts.
You'll feel right at home, Sen. I have two not-so-formal dresses/jackets that I alternate on formal nights. And I bring a pair of long black traveler pants, a long black skirt, some nice blouses and a pair of sandals to wear with them every night. I have never felt out of place.

The beauty of NCL is that everyone can dress up or down, exactly as they choose (within reason, of course; I think we all know the no-shorts/jeans rule by now).

Archived