Cruiseing out of ny in march

tlg5060

They could be smooth as glass or some of biggest seas of the year. It is the luck of the draw year over year.

What causes rough seas? Wind :rolleyes:

We all know about March winds :eek:

Biggest seasI have been in were the last week of March - Dreamward repo - Bermuda to NYC leg - Big high sitting off Canada - NW winds 50 mph sustained - 40 foot seas - 12 hours late into NYC to pick up the first Bermuda cruise of the season.

Can anyone tell me how it is to cruise out of NY in March? Meaning weather wise.. is the water real choppy?

Thanks

Hmm....The Titanic sank on April 15th in the North Atlantic. :eek: True, there are no icebergs off the coast of NYC but the Bermuda Triangle has mysterously taken more lives than any unforseen iceberg. Just thought I'd meniton it. :D

I sailed from NY on the Dawn in early April last year and the Atlantic portion was rougher than I expected it to be but it didn't bother me or my husband. Some people who suffer from seasickness did have a problem with it. We were in 5002 at the very front of the boat and we got the full effect of the swells crashing on our port hole so I would suggest a more midship location that time of year if you are concerned about it. Living in Nova Scotia I know that the Atlantic is unpredictable.

PS. This is my first post and I have really enjoyed all of the information and insight from the forums. I have cruised a few times but there is so much to learn from The Masters... Thanks:)

That it's a little rough coming into and out of NY during March. And this from a man who was in the Navy and traveled all over the world in every type of weather imaginable. Now, to me, his indication of "a little rough" meant that I was going to avoid cruising with DH on that particular voyage. DH has to take dramamine when flying so I decided I should try another cruise for his first venture out into the blue yonder known as the Atlantic. Which we did...

And he did fine. We went out of NY on the Dawn on10/15 - he did just fine. The "road" gets a little bumpy around the outerbanks east of NC...but other than than, as long as you have good weather, it's a charm.

On my very first cruise, a CTN out of NY on the Legend, my DSIL and I sat with two lovely women from NJ. They had both been cruising for at least 30 years. Each of them, after hearing about my DH's concern regarding seasickness, encouraged me to avoid the Atlantic until May....and take it up till the end of November I believe.

I don't mean to discourage you...just wanted to share my story.

Ciao,

W A W W

Archived