Goff's Caye with Carnival

tankersbabe

Just wanted to post about our great experience on the Goff's Caye Snorkeling excursion through Carnival.

It was pouring rain when we boarded the tender at the ship with the guides. We piled in and took off. Harry, one of the best guides in the world, introduced us to the crew and sorted out the flippers for us.

Arrived at Goff's Caye in about 20 minutes or so...TINY little Caye, few palm trees, a covered area and a porta potty. The skies were clearing up.

Gave us the option to snorkel from the boat, or from shore. Some folks chose shore, but a large majority chose off the boat.

Hubby and I took our time getting off the boat, jumped right in and started the snorkeling. Harry held up an orange life ring and kept an eye on everyone and kept pointing out things of interest, diving down, and kept the group together. He was awesome.

Hubby and I found that if we stayed in the front of the pack, that we were not getting knocked around by folks who did not know how to snorkel or were not paying attention to those around us. One lady, if she had kicked me in the head one more time was gonna get beaten...she knows who she is.

The tour was not all that crowded, just folks not paying attention to space.

We saw a sea turtle swim by, a spotted eagle ray, lots and lots of fish and gorgeous coral. Our underwater pics did not come out so well...they were ok, but the memories are good.

I was getting a little tired towards the end...we ended up making a big circle around the caye. I love that floatie vest! I want to think the snorkeling was really close, or over, an hours worth.

Once on the caye, there is a porta potty for use, some snacks and sodas for purchase...water in a bag for free from the cruise ship. We explored a little...one kid found a hermit crab...I managed to find some ants and bring some back in my backpack. :)

Heads up on the vender(s)...their prices are MUCH higher than in Belize City on their 'goods'. Just a heads up to you.

The guides climbed up the palm trees and threw down some coconuts. They cracked them open and let us drink the coconut milk and eat the raw coconut...it was cool...a little woodsy tasting, but fun.

Hopped on the tender ride back, the hat was passed for tips, and we tipped Harry personally earlier on the caye. He was sooo awesome! If you see him, tell him Paul and Stef said hello...Paul is coming back for a job sorting flippers...he'll know what you're talking about.

We were back at the ship at about 1130p or 12p...plenty of time for a quick change, lunch and ride back into Belize City for shopping.

LOVED this excursion. One of the best we have ever done, independent or ship tour.

Thank you for your review! Our family is heading to Belize in March and I was eyeing up this excursion for our family. I do have one question for you, what is the snorkeling like from the beach do you know? I have one daughter (12yrs) who got spooked a couple of years ago while we were in Catalina (the guide was feeding the fish and the frenzy of activity scared her). She wants to have the option to just relax at the beach, just is case. It sounds like you had a great time! I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you for your review! Our family is heading to Belize in March and I was eyeing up this excursion for our family. I do have one question for you, what is the snorkeling like from the beach do you know? I have one daughter (12yrs) who got spooked a couple of years ago while we were in Catalina (the guide was feeding the fish and the frenzy of activity scared her). She wants to have the option to just relax at the beach, just is case. It sounds like you had a great time! I'm looking forward to it!

The folks who snorkeled from the beach said it was pretty good...they saw fish and someone found a conch I believe.

The great thing about this excursion...the water is deep...you don't have a frenzy of fish around you and the guides don't feed them in to you. You can see them, but they are not baited.

• 3 weeks later...
We are headed there ourselves in January and looking at private excursion for our group to allow us a bit more time here..anyone had contacts for this? Prices vs Carnival?

Great excursion report...thanks!

Karyn

I don't think any other vendor operates this tour. We were the only ones there, and Carnival does a morning and afternoon run of it.

Archived