Cribs on Celebrity

Cruisin2007

When I last went on Celebrity on Summit two years ago they were nice wood portacribs. I will be going on Connie next week and will report back if they changed. I do remember they used a flat sheet and wrapped it around so I'll be bringing my own sheet this time. (Second child, not the same one as the first time, if you were wondering..... )

We just returned from the Constellation with our 8 month old daughter. They arranged a pack and play for us in our cabin. We just brought along our own sheets because my wife preferred to have our own. Definitely contact the special needs department if you need anything else for you child. High chairs are readily available at the buffet, and they can have one ready at your table in the dining room. You can also request formula and baby food through the special needs department up to 40 days before the cruise. The asst maitre' d can also arrange for the kitchen to provide you with pureed vegetables every day.

-Rich

We just returned from the Constellation with our 8 month old daughter. They arranged a pack and play for us in our cabin. We just brought along our own sheets because my wife preferred to have our own. Definitely contact the special needs department if you need anything else for you child. High chairs are readily available at the buffet, and they can have one ready at your table in the dining room. You can also request formula and baby food through the special needs department up to 40 days before the cruise. The asst maitre' d can also arrange for the kitchen to provide you with pureed vegetables every day.

-Rich

Wow! I guess it changed! We went in April 2004. I dont know if RC owned X then, I do know on RC this past summer it was a pack n play. So maybe with new ownership they changed. Those cribs were so nice, but with my son being almost 2, it might have been too small and we may be better off.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that it is now a pack n play and not a crib. Definitely bring your own sheets (more than two) b/c they only wrap a sheet around the mattress. We brought our own, but on the last night it was too dirty and I didnt have another clean one so we had them wrap the sheet around. My 22 month old ripped the sheet off and slept right on the mattress. He woke up with a small rash on his face.

We have just returned on the 1st Dec. from the Galaxy in the Med.

The crib was of the pack and play type, unfortunately it wasn't ready in the room when we arrived, despite us prebooking it and me checking before we traveled they had it on our requests.

When it did arrive at 8.30pm, we were desperate to get our 2 year old into bed, she had been up since 5.30am that morning. However, it was really dirty, the mesh was brown stained, the top edge was also marked and had food or something on it. The matress was a little grubby on top, but when I turned it over to put our sheet on it, it was filthy with lots of urine staining on it and it smelt.

I requested another one, the outside was slightly cleaner, although the base was sunken! It arrived with the sheet wrapped around it, when I took it off to put ours on, it was almost as bad as the first and said I wasn't happy my child sleeping on this. By this time it was nearly 9.30pm. and I was expecting to have to have her in with us.

The cabin steward was really helpful and went to get his manager, who was profusley apologetic and agreed it wasn't acceptable, he had requested the base was changed, but the next one that turned up was too large and thick - obviously for another style of crib!.

However, they had scrubbed and sanitized the first one and said there was nothing they could do until we got to Rhodes - several days into the trip, when they would attempt to buy another one. I found it incredible that with so few children on the ship, less than 80 in total and only 10 under 2 years old, they had no others. How will they manage at Christmas when they have 380 children on board!?

The solution was wrapping two large new bath towels over the Sanitized, but still grubby base and then my sheet over the top. It was a little lumpy, but our daughter was so tired she slept soundly. I had also wiped over the mesh and edges with my sanitizing wipes of the better second crib. I put the large base that didn't fit underneath the crib, as the middle was sagging and this kept it up It wasn't ideal, but it would do and we intended to buy our own crib as soon as we could!

Despite this initial setback, our daughter seemed fine in it and although at 2 and average length she was maginally too big, she slept soundly.

When we got to Rhodes apparently they couldn't buy any new cribs, we didn't try ourselves - but the manager turned up with a new quilt and cover, which we used to cover the base, which was better than the towels. I wasn't entirely happy as it was quite hot for her to sleep on, but didn't want to make any more fuss.

In hindsight, I do find it astounding they don't have many cribs. With so few children on board, perhaps they were just 'spinning us a line'. What is obvious is that no cleaning or sanitizing of cribs between children is taking place, which is of concern where small babies may be using them.

Overall, the Galaxy isn't geared up for children at all, there is a lot that needs to be done before they can say they are child friendly and I will post again on what I found.

Having said this, we still enjoyed our holiday, the fact that there were only three sea days (one extra as we couldn't get into Santorini due to weather), was good as we had limited time on board. The layout of the Galaxy is lovely and we all had a lovely time, which would have been the same if we had gone on any holiday with our daughter and didn't have the option of supposedly child facilities.

I don't think however, that we would go X with a child again, but other ships may be different.

Kate

Archived