snorkeling equipment help needed

fitz2

First time snorkelers. Family of five wanting to buy our own equipment.

We'll probrably only be using it once or twice a year. What are your suggestions for a 15,13 and 12 year old for snorkel sets. (I'm not going to purchase fins. We'll also need to adult sets that will be used only once or twice a year. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Couple of things to consider:

• You can buy online and shop for the best price. You probably would end up with basic equipment and may or may not get a good fit for the mask.

• You can go to a shop and try on masks for the best fit. If you bought there, most likely prices would be higher but quality and fit should be better.

• You can go to a shop and try on masks. Perhaps you could then find the mask online for less money.

We tend to use our sets for one cruise every two years. Because of this frequency, we bought fairly inexpensive equipment. I went to Target and a local sporting goods store and bought one of each combo set they had that I thought would meet our needs. I took them all home. Each of us tried the masks on and picked what fit the best. All the extra sets were returned.

DH and I were easier to fit. DD (about 12 at the time) was more challenging. She wasn't fitting well into the women's (too large) or child's (too small) sets. I finally found some label for 'smaller/petite' faces. You may have the same issue with your younger kids. I think snorkels are easier, look for a 'dry' top (helps stop water from going in the top of the snorkel) and a 'purge' valve (allows you to blow out any water that has entered into the snorkel w/o removing the snorkel from you mouth).

leisurepro.com is a good place to look, the best deals would be finding the packages on line just remember the fit of the mask is most important, you dont want it too tight or loose ( leaking ) but basically just snorkling no scuba id just go online and get a set....good luck and happy snorkling:D

After using the resort's or excursion's masks and snorkels for several years, we too decided to get our own. Heads come in many sizes and shapes and so do masks. We opted going to the local Scuba shop and having them try masks on us. Hubby was easy. He had many options available. They got me down to two possibilities. And then told me which one they thought was better (it was the cheaper of the two actually).

It has made the world of difference to me having a properly fitting mask. I am very happy with it.

That being said... your kids are still growing and the masks you buy now may not fit properly in 2-3 years. Although - what is spent on a dinner out can probably pay for all three of them! I'd opt for skipping a few movies or other extraneous expense and buy the good equipment. But that's just me.

I wish that I would have purchased a good mask years ago. I have a memory of one excursion in Bora Bora of having to hold the mask onto my face to prevent the water from seeping in. I got back on the boat early cause I couldn't stand it. And they didn't have any more masks to switch me into. Oh well.

With Frugal one.

We snorkeled for years with rental equipment. When we decided to start travelling more, we went to a dive shop and were fitted with masks and snorkels. They have made a HUGE difference. The level of comfort is superior, the fit is fantastic (no leaks, little fogging) and the snorkels are so much softer on the mouth than the old rentals, you can't even feel that they are in there. The silicone on my mask and snorel are very soft and pliable and it just makes for a better experience all around. We do not have fins and just rent those due to "bulk". Our mask and snorkels together were about $75.00 for each of us. We have had them for a few years now and they are still in great shape and we will be using them in a couple of weeks on our western. I would say, make the investment! It will make the workd of difference, especially if you are not experienced snorkelers. A leaky mask can make for a real "pain" of an experience. I agree with the snorkels as well. Try to find a "dry" snorkel (with a vent on top to keep water out) and a purge valve on the bottom.

Your kids will love it. I started snorkeling when I was about 8 and my youngest sister started at age 4. We spent two weeks on Grand Cayman back in the 70's and we all fell in love with it! We all still do it now, 30 some years later!!! BUT my parents DID buy us personally fitted masks even back then. I was able to use mine into my early adulthood.

Mrsfuzzmo

thanks for all the replys. I think my husband and I will go get fitted. I'll have to think about what to do for the kids since I wanted it to be a Christmas gift. Thanks again-these sights are always so helpful!:o

thanks for all the replys. I think my husband and I will go get fitted. I'll have to think about what to do for the kids since I wanted it to be a Christmas gift. Thanks again-these sights are always so helpful!:o

First time snorkelers. Family of five wanting to buy our own equipment.

We'll probrably only be using it once or twice a year. What are your suggestions for a 15,13 and 12 year old for snorkel sets. (I'm not going to purchase fins. We'll also need to adult sets that will be used only once or twice a year. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

www.leisurepro.com Quality equipment at great prices.

Get wetsuits even if your going tropical. Helps you float, avoid sunburn, scrapes, chills, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Went snorkeling for the first time in Cozumel Feb 2006 (just breifly).

Loved it. When my DW and I returned from the Feb. 2006 cruise, I went online to Snorkelmart.com, bought complete sets. MY DW and I have been using them in swimming pools whenever possible. We are now very used to them, ready for the Feb 2007 snorkleing adventures. Snorklemart was very helpful, we are very happy with the purchases.

-Bartman60:D

• 2 weeks later...
What about renting off the ship. Can you just rent it for the whole week or do they make you purchase it for each excursion:confused:

Not all cruise lines rent snorkel equipement. NCL did at one time, but since I have not sailed with them for a long time, I don't know for sure. At the time you could rent for the week.

On other cruise lines if you book an excursion for snorkeling, the tour company usually has equipment you can use. Independent snorkeling excursions usually have equipement also.

You should always bring your own mask and snorkel.

JmikeC recommended wet suites. I see no need for them in the Caribbean. You can float just fine with the vests. (The vests are also provided by the excursion companies)

Archived