Tips & More

Annefran

I know that tips are part of the cruising experience for the staff. I was wondering if anyone has ever given anything to the staff besides tips, i.e. calling cards, gifts.

What do you give your cruise staff? Do you give anything besides tips? Let's share our experiences and ideas. :p

Hi Anne&Julie...there has been much discussion over this subject...I prepay tips when I book my cruise...then I usually slip some extra cash into the envelope for those who have made me feel 'special' ..usually the waiter and room steward...(and last time I cruised the Asst Waiter was wonderful..so he got extra too)

Some will say to give chocolates, gift cards, phone cards, etc...I am one who thinks cash is better b/c then they can get what they need/want or send the extra home to the family...

Heres my way of thinking...I love chocolate, but would rather recieve cash from someone who is tipping me, b/c I know what kind of chocolate I like, and I know the stores I shop in and I know what my family needs...(come to think of it..thank God I dont work for tips..and bless those who do);) :p

I also tip in cash... for the extra's. Had thought about using the $2 bills etc but got mixed reviews on those. So... we decided that anyone who deserved above and beyond the standard tip would get cash... in popular currency ($1's or $5's).

For a cute idea... I would LOVE to leave a towel animal for our room steward this next trip. Perhaps a Virginia Beach towel... made into an animal... just as something extra (maybe to hold the extra tip). We have the instructions on towel animals. Maybe I need to work on this. ;)

Hummmmmmmmmm Parrotthead... what a great idea. I have about 60 days to think about this and practice. LOL I would LOVE to fold $1 into something cool. Even just as something cool to give the bartenders during the day!!! Hummmmmmm

I have seen bills folded into bow ties..(how hard can that be:) ) that would be cute for bartenders...esp on formal night...I bet there is something online to show how...(my DD used to have a book of how...Im gonna go look)

OMG Google here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep me posted on what you find. I just went to a bridal shower that had a whole bouquet of roses made out of $1 bills.

Having a hubby that works on the ships, I can tell you phone cards, unusual currency, 2 dollar bills, etc, are not as welcome as they have you think. They will smile, thank you profusely for the gift, then go to their cabin and not have a clue what to do with it. I asked him, since he is home a few more days, and he said just plain money is most appreciated since that is what they are there working for and need the most. He has come home with the other money, handed it to me and asked if this was real money or some kind of joke.. not all of them know what the odd money is but they all know the basic us currency, so that is the best. Phone cards, they know what kind works best for where they are calling, give them the money and let them buy what they want.

Nitra, thanks this is what we thought must be the case...

Noe, let me ask you ..and him...(not talking about regular tips here, but as for 'extra--above and beyond')

Would he be amused if some one gave him 'extra--real money' folded cute, like we are discussing here ...or would it be only us who would think it a nice gesture?

Nitra, thanks this is what we thought must be the case...

Noe, let me ask you ..and him...(not talking about regular tips here, but as for 'extra--above and beyond')

Would he be amused if some one gave him 'extra--real money' folded cute, like we are discussing here ...or would it be only us who would think it a nice gesture?

I agree ... would $10 or more folded up in a towel be worth it? Would he think it was cute? Would he ever use the towel again and say... my friends from Virginia Beach left this?

Being a dining room waiter, not sure if he would enjoy it as much as say the room steward would. He would probably get a laugh from it and end up saving it knowing him. Most of the gifts passengers give him end up coming home and being given to me... LOL So if you are giving gifts, make them good! I like Jewelry! Im not sure all of the people are the same. I have a curio full of things he has brought home! I save them, knowing the intent of the gesture and am a sentimental old woman.

I thought the towel animal and folded money would be cute for cabin stewards the most. They would get a kick from it I think. If you could make the money roses, the gals working on the ship might enjoy them, I would I know. Some of the bar tenders have a good sense of humor and might get a kick out of some of the things. I think making the spider one and putting it on their cash register would be cute. Unless they have a real fear of spiders!

Archived