Which Mexican Riviera cruise - Spring Break with kids?

cawhite

Hi everyone,

Our family (kids are 15 and 12) are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise for Spring Break '07. But which cruise for us?

We are in our mid to late 40's and have been on Carnival (Europe, Caribbean) and Royal Caribbean (Caribbean). Of the 2 lines, we are more the Royal Caribbean "type".

We strongly prefer to sail out of San Diego, since we live in San Diego county. Here are the 3 cruises that leave out of San Diego that week:

1. Celebrity Mercury (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)

2. Holland America Oosterdam (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas)

3. Carnival Spirit (Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas)

Here are the pros and cons:

1. Celebrity:

* Pros - best price of the 3, we'd probably LOVE Celebrity's service and food, we enjoy smaller ships.

* Cons - older ship, will be refurbished the week AFTER we would return, not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break).

2. Holland America:

* Pros - nice, newer ship.

* Cons - not sure if there will be enough kids for our kids to make friends with (even during Spring Break), Is the crowd a tad older than we'd prefer? May be more sedate than we'd prefer.

3. Carnival:

* Pros - this itinerary includes La Paz, which I've read is the best scuba dive port of all the ports listed above (DH and DD would dive and DS and I would snorkel), here there would be enough kids for my kids to make friends with.

* Cons - would prefer another line to Carnival; will this be too much of a party crowd? We like to have fun but aren't big drinkers, etc. Maybe too many kids (would like a decent amount, but don't want to be overrun with kids either!)?

The Diamond Princess (we'd love to try a ship w/ fresh water pools) and RCCL's Vision of the Seas also sail that week, but out of LA... we prefer San Diego. In addition, these cruises are more $$ and we're still recovering from our month long trip to Europe this past summer!

Sooooooo.... which cruise for us?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for your help!

Carole

i would chose carnival.. but i also love NCL star from LA

weve been on it 2 times..you mightlove freestyle especially with kids

and great ports...cabo PV ixtapa and acapulco....

that has been our fav and weve been on carnival,celebrity

Hello! We took the Pride out of Long Beach last Spring break and my 14 year old had an absolute BLAST! (We all did!) To see our pics, click the link below!

This Spring Break we are taking her sister ship, the Spirit, out of San Diego for an 8 day cruise to Alcapulco, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo! Ryan will be 15 then and I am hoping that there will be a lot of teens! The Pride had a big group of teens on the Spring Break sailing, so that would be a good choice for you! Or come with us on the Spirit's March 31st sailing! :D

We absolutely LOVED the Pride, so we are sure the Spirit will be just as lovely!

Opps! Re-read your post! I guess your Spring Break is later than ours, because you are considering the Spirit sailing AFTER ours! Whatever you decide, have a great time! :D

I should add that on the Pride, there were a bunch of kids - but they were all well behaved and not in the least bit unruly! You hardly even noticed them!

Thanks melika091900!

I actually looked at the NCL itinerary you speak of, as I liked it best. Unfortunately, the schedule (8 nights) doesn't work with the kids' school schedule and my DH's work schedule (he flies out on Sunday every week, and this ship gets back into LA on Monday morning). Hopefully we can do this sailing in the future, however, as it looks awesome!

Carole

Based on the top 3 you listed because of leaving from San Diego, I would definitely go with the Carnival Spirit. I can't imagine the other two's kids programs would come close. I can let you know for sure since I am sailing her next week with my family.

You also mentioned the Diamond Princess. We were on her sister ship the Sapphire Princess exactly a year ago and had a great time. DDs weren't with us, but it appeared to have a great kids program. I would still assume Carnival and RCI are better, but won't know for sure until next week. We are also taking the family on the RCI Vision of the Seas for Thanksgiving 2007.

We are doing the Diamond Princess March 10 out of LA. We did this same trip two years ago and had a blast. One thing we like about Princess is their "Youth Security" patrol. Since that started we don't seem to see any problems with the kids getting out of hand like we've seen in the past and on other ships/lines.

We are doing Princess Diamond for our springbreak. Last year we did the Carnival Liberty in the Caribbean. Have also done the Carnival Valor, and the Golden Princess several years ago. There are pros and cons of each. Carnival is O.K. but coming back to Princess for fresh water pools, and maybe the classier feel. I would check prices because if I enter a California zip code I see that you can get better pricing than I got from Chicago. (Diamond Princess.) I have two teenage sons and they like Princess the best.

Hi Lucy! We were on the Carnival Liberty too... but in Europe.

For some reason the Diamond Princess is coming up way more expensive (as is RCCI) than the other 3, plus it's out of LA.

I think the biggest factor is that we'd like to do scuba diving in La Paz (I'm told it's better than Cabo)... only Carnival goes there.

....still thinking....

Carole

Hi Family Man - Can't wait to hear about the Spirit. I hope you check back after your upcoming cruise. Have a GREAT time!

Will do. We can't wait! DDs (13 and 10) are very excited. It will be their first cruise. They have no idea how great it is going to be! :D

One thing we like about Princess is their "Youth Security" patrol. Since that started we don't seem to see any problems with the kids getting out of hand like we've seen in the past and on other ships/lines.

I totally agree. DW and I were quite impressed how orderly they kept things. Just their mere presence acted as a deterrent. They wear bright yellow shirts and are easy to identify.

Not sure this will help you out, but we've been on Carnival Spirit, Oosterdam, and Sapphire Princess with our teen grandchildren. They had a great time on all of them. Our cruise on Spirit was out of San Diego, but it was for 8 days, so it went to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Ixtapa as well. We've been on Carnival Spirit a few times and like the layout of the ship, cabin size, and the bedding was wonderful - as it was on Oosterdam as well. You'll have a great time whatever ship you choose. Never sailed Celebrity but I've heard a lot of not so nice things about the Mercury, and if it is due for drydock AFTER your trip, I think I'd stay away from that one! Our Oosterdam cruise was during Spring Break for our 50th Anniversary (2005). We only ate in the dining room on the two formal nights. Two nights we ate in the Pinnacle Grill and the other three nights up in the buffet. This worked out really well. Our kids made a number of friends on that cruise. There were a lot but very well behaved kids during that week

We drive down to L.A. or San Diego to catch ships when we can't get them from San Francisco. I wouldn't rule out a ship for you from Los Angeles, as, from my point of view, they are pretty close - just a few hours apart. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you and your family will have a great time. Nancy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses!!

I spent the entire weekend looking at "travel options" for 2007, and after MUCH debate... instead of the April cruise, we have decided to do a land vacation to St. Thomas and St. Kitts and have booked that for June.

The main reason for the trip is scuba / snorkeling, and I think we'll get a better opportunity in the USVI and BVI.

I will certainly keep the advice for another time when we decide to cruise from So. CA. And just to let you know... I was leaning toward HAL form San Diego, or Princess from LA, just before we made the change of plans!

Thanks again... and happy cruising everyone!

Carole

Carole,

We were in St Kitts this past March on the Golden Princess. If you get a chance, do the ATV tour that goes up to the rain forest. It was a total blast that I am sure your kids would enjoy too!

Pam

Archived