Only 2 ships in port... What is it like?

Lashlock

this is cross posted, but on Cruisecal, they post that our ship and another are the only two in port for Grand Cayman and our other stops....

What are the excursions/island/people like when there are only this many ships in port?

Is this correct information for June? I figured there would be so many more, since I would figure that to be prime sailing times...

wow i'm kind of excited! are the people pushier? I would think business would be very slow for them on these days...

We found the people on the island to be very friendly...and very proper. No one pushed anything on us (banking is the big business there). It reminded me of the Beverly Hills of the Caribbean. It's nothing like most of the other Caribbean islands.

One night we were driving around looking for a place to park. We found a parking lot, but it was a bank parking lot. We saw this man getting into a car, and I asked him where that public parking lot was. He told me that he was the bank president, and feel free to park in his parking lot! He was really a nice guy.

I think they are making a mistake allowing 7-9 ships in port on any given day. George Town is total chaos on those days. We made the mistake of driving through town on one of those days. It took forever because everyone walking walking in the streets, and cutting across the streets.

If you eat on the island, remember the menu is listed in Cayman dollars. When we were there, the USD was worth 80 cents to the Cayman $1. Also, most of the restaurants will add on the tip, so make sure you look for this, otherwise you might tip twice. If you ask them, they will either write the USD amount on your bill, or sometimes we found they had a computer that would do this. We really enjoyed Breezes. It's right in the port (inside the building that has "Landmark" on the front). I posted their menu on this forum in the last couple of days.

You will be able to do what you want and it shouldn't be packed. Two ships will put quite a few people on the island, but nothing compared to 7-9 ships. June isn't their peak time in Grand Cayman. Winter is their big season. I know HAL doesn't even go to the Caribbean in the summer/early fall. So enjoy your time there...it should be awesome! :)

the USD was worth 80 cents to the Cayman $1.

Other way around. I know what you meant to say... $1 Cayman = $1.25 US or you could say $1US = 80 cents Cayman.

When there are only two ships in town it is much easier to get around. Caymanians simply are not pushy. Aggressive solicting of business is frowned upon here.

Summer is the slow season for the Caribbean. Cruise lines reposition several ships to Europe to reduce their hurricane exposure and take advantage of the shorter peak cruising season in the Med.

Other way around. I know what you meant to say... $1 Cayman = $1.25 US or you could say $1US = 80 cents Cayman.

Now I am confused (what's new). lol You're right.

So if you had a $10 Caymen drink, it would end up costing you...$12.50 USD. Is that right? And then the tip was added to that. I know we just used our credit card and didn't give it much thought. It was easier that way! :)

I just remember that whatever the price was that was listed, you needed to figure you'd be spending around 20-25% more for whatever it was if you were using USD....prior to the tip being added.

I was just as confused about the Euro when my son spent the summer in Paris. :)

Drew...thanks so much for coming along and helping us with our questions. It's so nice to have someone who lives on the island (you lucky dog) help us with all these questions.

Archived