Live from AOS. Apparently Norovirus is alive and well

tricializ

You know what? It was exactly like this for us on Explorer in April and I have to say I wish it was this way all the time. Can you imagine the dramatic drop in viruses and bacteria that would be passed on? Hallelujah! I was happy to have a gloved crew member serve me from the buffet. It's awesome. :D

~Karen

Explorer had hand sanitizers and gloved wait staff serving food from the food service areas 10/29/06 cruise. It seems the Explorer has excellent prevention practice at all times. All ships should do the same. :o

E-coli is a bacterium found in stool. It cannot "turn into norovirus." However, it will make humans very sick if they consume food contaminated with e-coli.

I am glad someone finally figured this out.

1.The cruise-lines main draw is unlimited food on cruises.

2. The cultures that many of the crew are from, don't practice proper hygiene.

3. The cruise-lines want you to think its the passengers fault.:eek:

If it has to contain as much alcohol as possible to kill it, how about carrying around those little packets of alcohol wipes?? The ones the nurses use when you are getting a shot. Probably not the best for your skin but better than being confined to your cabin. It really irratates me when I see someone leave the bathroom without washing their hands...yuck

I'll have to politely disagree with you on this. If what you state was true, every ship would be sick and every cruise would have Noro-virus.

CDC inspects the ships at random, the ships are held to very high standards and can be kept from sailing if they do not score high enough.

I firmly believe the virus is more than likely brought onboard by passengers who don't wash their hands, then passed around by other passengers that don't wash their hands.

While using wipes in your own cabin will cut down on germs in your own space, not many people stay in their cabins all week. I prefer to avoid the buffets and public restrooms when possible, plus keep my hands off of public surfaces. But, I pretty much live my whole life this way, not just on a cruise ship. Then, I keep my hands out of my eyes, nose and mouth.

But, we all get sick sometimes, the little viral and bacteria germs just can't be seen and they catch up to us on occasion :rolleyes:

I had found some statistics on noro once which showed what percentage of infections were caused by food contamination vs. people, but I'm going out of town today and don't know if I have time to find it. Food contamination was the most common mode of transmission, but person to person was also significant.

On cruise ships it is spread both ways, you cannot simply attribute it to food prep. Also, the post of mine you quoted was referring to e-coli, not noro, although the principles are the same.

By the way, I've seen PLENTY of people use the bathroom and leave without washing their hands right here in the good ole USA. Studies done on this subject show that Americans are terrible about washing their hands, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame this on those "other" cultures.

So who had the baby sitting on the table with a dirty diaper, or in a pool that folks injested water. Or a Senior Citizen with a bladder problem in their Depends. The chair you sit in they may have been in. Someone from the bathroom who didn't wash their hands & shakes yours. This is the chief cause of Nirovirus.

It is not just cruiselines, grocery stores have it & now they have cart cleaning wipes to use. Restaurants, schools, nursing homes even hospitals have it breaking out with dirty people touching handles, chairs, tables, etc.

So be like MONK! Wipe down everything you touch, carry paper towel from bathroom to open doors, don't shake hands or hug anyone. But when you swim in the pool with the fecal matter in it also, you will be very ill. So cool off in a shower - much healthier!

Wash your hands before touching your face!

I wouldn't get totally carried away, people. Norovirus is a mild gastro-intestinal upset in normally healthy people. If you are very small, very old, or have a depressed immune system you are at risk of serious complications. For the rest of us - not.

Second - here in Toronto people became ill from inhaling exhaust from an air conditioner in a nursing home. They breathed infected exhaust as they walked up the street. So you can take all the care you want and still get sick.

I'm not saying don't be reasonably careful. I'm saying just because it's there doesn't mean you'll get it. There was norovirus on Brilliance in April....approximately 200 people out of 3500 became ill for about four days. That's no more serous than a flu outbreak in any town or city.

Go on your cruise, tkae reasonable care, but don't let yourself get tied up in knots about the possibility of getting sick. You could get sick at home.

Fran in Toronto

Just curious, when 3 out of 4 in our group get sick within hours after eating at the Windjammer, would that lead you to believe it was the food and not a virus from a serving spoon? It hit us so hard and so quick that I have to believe it was something with the food or water that prepared the salads. I wouldn't wish this on anyone who goes on a cruise and after they had the sanitation stations at each dining room each night and at the gangway before you got on the ship, you wonder if this should be the standard for all ships. I know it's all about the $$ but if it would save a persons vacation it would be worth it.

Lifted from another thread:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 23 million people in the United States (representing eight percent of the population), contract norovirus each year. In contrast, less than one percent of all cruise guests are affected each year.

While the vast majority of these cases are land-based and not related to leisure cruising, news stories focusing on incidents occurring aboard cruise ships lead people to ask questions or express concern about seagoing vacations.

The facts are as follows, according to the most recent information:

· During the past winter, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported increased cases of norovirus across the United States in hospitals, day care centers, nursing homes and schools.

· With the reported increase in norovirus cases on land, there could be a corresponding increase aboard cruise ships.

· According to CDC, the cruise lines have the world's highest sanitation standards. Rigorous cleaning procedures are in place to disinfect and sanitize public areas including door handles, railings and elevator buttons.

· Cruise lines employ extensive cleaning protocols and sanitation measures, which are increased when illness is reported on board a ship. Additionally, Dave Forney, chief of CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program, adds that Cruise lines work meticulously and effectively to actually break the cycle of transmission during most cruises.

· Cruise lines participate in the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program and are required to report every case of gastrointestinal illness. Nowhere else in the U.S. public health system is norovirus a reportable illness.

· The most effective measure guests can take to prevent this temporary but uncomfortable condition is to wash their hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water.

Guests who experience norovirus symptoms should follow the shipboard medical staff's guidance to prevent spreading the illness. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps and may last one to two days. The most common means of transmission is person-to-person contact.

One note that will throw off the CDC stats, they only can report who actually reports to the medical facility onboard. Do you really think everyone goes to the medical facility? If they do they will be quarentined in your cabin for the next 3 days? Including a spouse that may not be sick! I'm sorry and with all respect, it's all just a great avenue to call "food poisoning" a Norovirus.

What causes infection with noroviruses?

Noroviruses generally spread through contaminated water and foods, although they can also pass from person to person. You may become infected by:

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus. Shellfish and salad ingredients are most often infected with the viruses. Food other than shellfish may be contaminated by food handlers.

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing your hand in your mouth.

Having direct contact with someone who is infected. For example, if you are a caregiver or share foods or utensils with someone who is ill, you may become infected.

One note that will throw off the CDC stats, they only can report who actually reports to the medical facility onboard. Do you really think everyone goes to the medical facility? If they do they will be quarentined in your cabin for the next 3 days? Including a spouse that may not be sick! I'm sorry and with all respect, it's all just a great avenue to call "food poisoning" a Norovirus.

What causes infection with noroviruses?

Noroviruses generally spread through contaminated water and foods, although they can also pass from person to person. You may become infected by:

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus. Shellfish and salad ingredients are most often infected with the viruses. Food other than shellfish may be contaminated by food handlers.

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing your hand in your mouth.

Having direct contact with someone who is infected. For example, if you are a caregiver or share foods or utensils with someone who is ill, you may become infected.

True. But food poisoning can be a result of many different organisms, not just norovirus. Many different bacteria have been the culprits in food poisoning. We take a risk every time we eat a meal outside our home. It's amazing we don't get food poisoning more often.

I agree, it just magnifies when your on a cruise or vacation and your time is lost. This has never happened to us on a cruise before, hopefully never again. But you are correct when you look at the big picture, it could happen anywhere.

Archived