Oosterdam Leaving Late

bigred12

No, it's not another charter cruise. Divers have been in the water since early this morning, and the crane took the propeller blades and dropped them in the water. I'm sure it takes many hours to attach them and test them. The "proof in the pudding" will be if they have tugs when they leave. If they feel confident that everything is in order, then they won't need tugs. Besides the pod blades, they have two other issues to deal with. First of all they have to reprogram the computers to recognize that both pods are functional. Secondly, maybe they have to seal the holes that they cut into the propellers to lift them out. It's more than 2 1/2 hours since they were due to depart. Time is not a problem to reach Cabo from San Diego. They have at least 4 more hours to finish the job.

David

Besides the pod blades, they have two other issues to deal with. First of all they have to reprogram the computers to recognize that both pods are functional. Secondly, maybe they have to seal the holes that they cut into the propellers to lift them out.

David

They don't have to reprogram anything - the controls for each motor are independent...

...but they cut holes in the propellers?!?

Brian, they do not cut into the props, I can assure you of that. They cost an absolute fortune to engineer and manufacture to the hydrodynamic specs required. If anything they would weld onto the blade root, or base where it bolts onto the pod. As for reprogramming they may have to have onboard navigation reprogrammed for the new cruising speed but that takes minutes at most. They were probably double checking everything and testing prior to departure. This is a good sign though , glad to hear she is underway, hopefully we'll hear something from someone aboard soon.

No, it's not another charter cruise. Divers have been in the water since early this morning, and the crane took the propeller blades and dropped them in the water. I'm sure it takes many hours to attach them and test them. The "proof in the pudding" will be if they have tugs when they leave. If they feel confident that everything is in order, then they won't need tugs. Besides the pod blades, they have two other issues to deal with. First of all they have to reprogram the computers to recognize that both pods are functional. Secondly, maybe they have to seal the holes that they cut into the propellers to lift them out. It's more than 2 1/2 hours since they were due to depart. Time is not a problem to reach Cabo from San Diego. They have at least 4 more hours to finish the job.

David

Were you at the pier today?

Yes, I'm there a few times a week. When they removed the props, they cut about a 2 inch hole in the blades with an torch and ran a chain through the holes. That is how they came out of the water and presumably went back.

Once removed they put them on the back of a truck and moved them over by the pier entrance. They had been stored there until yesterday morning.

David

Does anyone know why the Oosterdam is leaving late today Nov. 11

icon1.gifYour Cruise Has Been Cancel

I live in New York. I am going on a cruise out of San Diego I show up to board the ship and they tell me the cruise has been canceled. I can not return home because I have a reservation to send a week in Las Vegas after I was suppose to get off the cruise. I have plane tickets to Las Vegas when I get off the ship and tickets from Las Vegas to New York a week later. Has anybody had this problem?

Or is this really your cruise that was cancelled when you turned up at the pier?

Does anyone know why the Oosterdam is leaving late today Nov. 11

This appears to be just a hypothetical situation being posted. As you can see from bigred12's posting history, he/she is posing a number of questions in regard to the same topic (re : Oosterdam, Azipod).

Archived