HELP..... Cruise INS.

baruby47

I am sailing on the Infinity on Oct.17th and must pay in full in about a week. My question is, when should I purchase insurance?Doesn't it make the cost go up if i must insure myself 70 days ?You guys always give good advise.Thanx

Suggest you go to http://www.insuremytrip.com for comparisons of travel insurance comapnies. Its a great site. I use Travel Guard usually but recently had very good service from CSA for a cruise I had to cancel.

You may not be able to get the preexisting conditions waiver. Usually

the insurance needs to be purchased within 14 days of initial cruise

deposit to get the waiver. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Hi,

I don't quite understand the question about cost going up if you insure yourself for 70 days. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can buy it AFTER final payment is made.

I always pay my insurance with my final payment. There are a lot of factors to consider and even more opinions.

In my case, unless I have misinterpreted things (a real possibility), the insurance premium is not refundable if you buy with deposit and then cancel before penaltie kick in. The only advantage to buying it then is to cover pre-existing conditions. Since my immediate and extended family is not in a health status (thank goodness) that would be considered "pre-existing" I don't see why I should buy the insurance early. So I buy it at the last possible time where I feel I need the coverage.

If things change where someone has a condition I want covered, I'd buy at time of deposit.

Just one man's opinion.

hdawson's comment is good concerning where to compare and choose which insurance to buy.

Bob

baruby47....Purchase it at any time now, but I would do it now that your final payment is due. So, should you become ill now...or get into an accident now, or a parent should die one week before the cruise....and you are unable to take the cruise, you will be covered.

Yes, anything pre-existing will not be covered, but anything new will be covered.

Ditto....checking out insuremytrip.com.

You are going to see a variety of prices.....see if that lowest price doesn't work just fine for you! ;)

I believe that preexisting condition is usually defined by any condition where you sought treatment within 180 days prior to traveling. I had to cancel a cruise for bronchitus in April. My next cruise is in October so if I were to have a recurrence before the cruise, it would be considered a preexisting condition and not covered without the waiver. Actually like a week short of the 180 days, but why take a chance?

I read all the insurance policies on http://www.insuremytrip.com . I noticed that CSA Silver plan covers pre existing health issues for family members (not for the primary insurers), even though you purchase the policy at time of final payment.

Since many of our family members are at risk, I am leaning toward CSA.

Travelex and Travel Guard also look good, but the Silver Plan of CSA fits my needs just for the family member pre existing clause.

I buy the insurance when I cruise out of the country for one main reason....if I have an injury. Just the idea of being dropped off in a foreign hospital to fend for myself gives me nightmares....not to mention the bill if I had to be airlifted from the ship! I'm young and in great health, but accidents and illnesses can happen to anyone at anytime and I'm not willing to take the chance.

Archived