Take II: Anyone from San Juan or the Intercontinental?

Lillykat

For some reason my first post came up blank so I will try again.

We are supposed to stay 2 precruise days at the Intercontinental at the end of Nov (23-25). I have read several places the pool is closed for renovations and that although scheduled to open 10/31 it was pushed back to 11/15 and some people were told most likely end of Nov/early dec.

I tried calling the front desk who told me that the pool would be partially closed. Calling the 1800 number they told me there were no renovations going on - but then called the hotel and they came back and said it was completely open. I also tried having AAA since I made the reservation online call and they were told pool has been open for some time but the Italian restaurant was closed.

From reading things online it appears that it might still be closed and not opening soon. This is a big trip for us - and we planned on spending those two days sitting by the pool and swimming.

Does anyone know the real story -I am getting the impression they don't want to lose reservations so they may not be telling future guests the complete story. We would be okay with it not being 100% open as long as the pool and sitting areas can be enjoyed.

One way to get the truth is by calling the spa or the pool bar directly and asking them instead of the salesperson at the reservations department. October is a very slow month for hotels in Puerto Rico and most hotels do their 'home depot' thing during that month, by mid -november they have to or are supposed to be ready for the high season.

One way to get the truth is by calling the spa or the pool bar directly and asking them instead of the salesperson at the reservations department. October is a very slow month for hotels in Puerto Rico and most hotels do their 'home depot' thing during that month, by mid -november they have to or are supposed to be ready for the high season.

I will try that - but one of the people I spoke to was the front desk manager - not reservations (reservations originally told me that the hotel was not doing any renovations - until I insisted they were and they then called them and came back and said that everything was now open).

The front desk and reservations are different wings from the same Rooms Division department and they work together. Saying that the pool will be partially closed, well, that doesn't make sense to me (How can that be? They fill up the pool during the morning and late in the afternoon they let the water out to continue the work? Does not make sense, need to see it to understand it.)

Good Luck to you.

The front desk and reservations are different wings from the same Rooms Division department and they work together. Saying that the pool will be partially closed, well, that doesn't make sense to me (How can that be? They fill up the pool during the morning and late in the afternoon they let the water out to continue the work? Does not make sense, need to see it to understand it.)

Good Luck to you.

I completely agree and asked the woman to explain but she just hung up. I think I am going to try and see if I can get anyone from the pool on the phone - otherwise I will email them - they do list a hotel email and this way I have something written from them.

Following is an e-mail I received from Intercontinental today. I also had concerns over the construction as we cancelled the Marriott due to the renovations and I was a little annoyed to hear Intercontinental had closed their pool.

Hope this helps!

Deb

I just received a forwarded copy of your recent email, please allow me to introduce myself, Jossell Louie Velazquez, Chef Concierge at InterContinental San Juan. In a continuous effort to improve the quality of service we recently underwent a major renovation of our lovely pool and we did open it to our guest last week, Thursday, November 9 2006. There are some minor details that we are fine tuning but, we are up and running! Should you have any questions/concerns or find yourselves in need of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Jossell Louie Velazquez

Chef Concierge

...Now if we could just get them to lower the prices of the drinks at that lovely pool!!!! :D

Lilly...we'll pass you in the lobby on the 25th! Have a great cruise!

Deb

LOL First trip drink prices don't matter as I can't drink I will have to stick with the virgin type for the next several months - so I guess DH will consider me a cheap date...hahahaha. Since this is the last trip before the baby we hope everything will go smoothly and we will have a lot of fun and relaxation!!!

Following is an e-mail I received from Intercontinental today. I also had concerns over the construction as we cancelled the Marriott due to the renovations and I was a little annoyed to hear Intercontinental had closed their pool.

Hope this helps!

Deb

I just received a forwarded copy of your recent email, please allow me to introduce myself, Jossell Louie Velazquez, Chef Concierge at InterContinental San Juan. In a continuous effort to improve the quality of service we recently underwent a major renovation of our lovely pool and we did open it to our guest last week, Thursday, November 9 2006. There are some minor details that we are fine tuning but, we are up and running! Should you have any questions/concerns or find yourselves in need of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Jossell Louie Velazquez

Chef Concierge

Mr. Velazquez emailed my DH yesterday and this is what he had to say:

"In an effort to improve on our services and provide our guests ongoing enjoyment of our delightful beachfront resort, we will be undergoing a $14 million makeover that will transform our current signature restaurant to a fabulous 'Alfredo di Roma' with the most authentic Italian cuisine and the freshest pastas in Puerto Rico. The lobby will be adorned with new furniture that will enhance the sense of arrival and provide an eclectic ambiance. Our swimming pool will be closed between September 5 and November 9 for repairs, while the pool deck will be completely resurfaced providing once again the right setting for hours of fun in the sun for all ages. Currently, the pool area is accessible for daily use to our guest and our spectacular Isla Verde Beach awaits you with two miles of a sun-tanned sandy shore and crystalline turquoise waters."

we stayed at the Intercontinental last Sunday night, Nov 12 --- the pool was open and boy is it gorgeous. There is one section of the deck area they have caution tape around --- still working on, but it doesn't effect use of pool.

Archived