historical sites?

cupidsarrrow

Hello we will be stopping in St. Thomas on our cruise and I read somewhere on the web about a street you can take that is full of history with forts and churches as well as museums. the only problem here is it never stated where this was. It said it would take about 2 and half hours to do, does anyone know where this is when we dock??? Do we need to hire a cab to do all this?

We are also interested in doing a self-guided historical tour in Charlotte Amalie. We will be on the Caribbean Princess in January, docking at Crown Bay. I would imagine that we need to take a taxi to town. Where would we ask to be dropped off? I am a little aprehensive about not taking a ship's excursion, but I am sure we can do this!! A bit of advice would surely be welcome!

Hello Lymami,

Very easy to do. Yes take a taxi from Crown Bay to downtown Charlotte Amalie. Ask to be dropped off by Emancipation Park/Fort Christian/Vendor's Plaza (all in the same little area). From there you can start visiting the sights. If you wanted to shop also, you could plan to have lunch downtown after visiting some of the sights and then doing some shopping.

--Islander

I think taxis drop Crown Bay passengers at International Plaza (in front of the Harley store). From there, you go right (right if you're facing the Harley store), along the sidewalk to Royal Dane Mall. There's a small, self-guided tour with explanatory plaques along the wall, and an interesting story concerning an obelisk that's outside the "mall" (closer to the Main St exit). From there, you can walk the few blocks to Vendors' Plaza/Fort to follow the walking tour.

Keep in mind that the museums charge an entry fee ("Nothing is free but the air and the sea!")

Thanks for the link it was better than the one I had seen. Some one posted they are docking someplace, we will be on the Carnival Glory in january so that means we will have to grab a taxi too? Not that it matters just wondering where to go the minute we get there. Do you know if we are permitted to go into the church and forts, how about the government house? thanks again for the link!

Hello Cupidsarrow,

Carnival ships usually dock in Havensight. Its a 6-8 minute drive to downtown Charlotte Amalie from Havensight in low/medium traffic or a 30 minute walk. A taxi will cost $4 pp, ow.

If the churches are open you can go in and look around. The fort is currently closed for rennovations. Government House has a security guard right at the door, last I checked you have to check in with them and are allowed in the lobby only - it contains paintings of governors and thats about it.

--Islander

Hello,

The fort's rennovation project's time frame was a year and a half which I think comes up next month, but they are still working on it. So not sure if it will be completed in January.

Blackbeards and Bluebeards are watchtowers that were built to work along with the fort in protecting the harbor back in the Danish colonization days. You can visit Bluebeards, its part of a hotel now - you can walk around the structure. Its just outside downtown on the hillside. Blackbeards can be visited for a fee, the tour includes several historic homes. You can walk up the 99 steps to get to it or you might take a taxi to Blackbeards do the tour and then walk down the 99 steps and into downtown to visit the other sites. You can find information on touring Blackbeards at http://blackbeardscastle.com/.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived