Alaska/Regent transfers

DreamBoatAnnie

Hi, all. Has anyone out there used Regent's transfers on the northbound Alaska itinerary? Just learned that Regent is no longer using the train for transfer from Seward to Anchorage, only coach :(

If you've used their transfers to Anchorage, do you have to just wait at the airport for your night flight out, or do they make special arrangements such as a hospitality room where you can while away the hours? Right now we're weighing the pros and cons of a night flight vs. overnighting in Anchorage (while spending more time in Seward, then training it to Anchorage on the 6pm Alaska Railroad train). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I think Seward is new this year, isn't it?

Hitherto, Regent have used Whittier with the option of a sightseeing train or coach which did a little tour and visit to a wildlife sanctuary to while away the time. Perhaps their coach transfer from Seward will do a similar thing, especially as they probably will be using the same coach firm based in Anchorage.

I've read there's a wonderful wildlife cruise in Resurrection Bay, which is 5 hours, with a stop at Fox Island for a salmon bake lunch. It's from noon to 5pm, then the train (Alaska RR) departs at 6pm for Anchorage, arriving about 10:15pm. That would mean an overnight in Anchorage with a morning flight out. Maybe too much to do with three generations travelling.

We'll probably just take the Regent hired coach to Anchorage. I'm trying to find out if we can use the Hilton hospitality suite with Regent's transfer, or if we need to purchase Regent's air to use this. Has anyone out there purchased Regent's transfers and been offered the suite to stow luggage while seeing Anchorage?

Thanks!

To anyone sailing Alaska northbound:

The only way to use Regent's day room in Anchorage is to buy Regent's air. It is only offered to pax who booked air through them. I just found out this information and wanted to pass it along. Even if you buy their transfers from Seward to Anchorage (which is now on coach, not the train anymore), you have to go to the airport and either wait out the day for your flight (sometimes red-eye), or store your bags at the airport and take a taxi to town to see Anchorage. I'm not sure if you can check your bags that early before a flight, probably not.

Hope this information helps with planning! ;)

Sorry to hear that. Seems like pretty poor service from Regent to me. When I flew out of Anchorage, the airline desk didn't even open until 8 p.m. or so for our 1 a.m. flight. We were not on Regent air nor did we purchase the transfer, so I booked a hotel on orbitz just for the day at a Comfort Suite in town. Much better than a hospitality room with nothing but tables and chairs, and we really enjoyed the day, walking around town, having lunch and shopping, and dinner at a great local place before heading to the airport in the evening.

In September, my husband and I took the northbound Alaska cruise on the Mariner which disembarked in Whittier. We made our own airline reservations so we could use frequent flyer miles to upgrade to business class. Since our return flight did not depart from Anchorage until 10:30 pm, we took a 6 hr. Regent glacier cruise (tour) which concluded with coach transfer to the Hilton in Anchorage. Regent transferred our luggage from the ship to the Hilton and stored our bags while we walked around Anchorage and had dinner. The tour also included coach transfer from the Hilton to the airport. The glacier cruise was wonderful and, as a bonus, we were able to explore downtown Anchorage.

Thanks for posting! I'm new to the boards, too.

Great information. I'll check into that, but so far I don't see anything like that offered for our cruise. Maybe they'll add it later? Was it the Resurrection Bay cruise?

Did you enjoy your cruise? This will be our first Regent cruise. We're three generations travelling together, so it should be very special: a memory of a lifetime. My mother has always dreamed of an Alaskan cruise, and now it's coming true.

All best,

Annie

To Why Not--that is very interesting. We're going on the Northbound Mariner cruise at the end of May and I was trying to figure out what to do all those hours in Anchorage--our flight doesn't leave till midnight. Tell me please, did you learn of that glacier cruise while aboard, or could you sign up for it prior to the cruise? I'd be very interested in doing exactly what you did and it sounds like Regent made it very easy for you. Please let me know how/when you were able to engage this activity. Thank you so much.

The disembarkation glacier cruise of Prince William Sound and Blackstone Bay was not listed on Regent's website but did appear in a booklet of excursions included in the cruise packet that Regent sent about a month prior to sailing. The booklet's description of the glacier cruise said it could be booked only on the ship. Since the tour description did not mention luggage storage in Anchorage or transportation to the airport, we did not cancel our rental car reservation until we were able to discuss these details with the tour staff on the Mariner.

Everything about the Alaska cruise was wonderful--the scenery, ship, food, tours, and even the weather. DreamBoatAnnie and HollDoll, I'm sure you and your families will enjoy the cruise immensely.

Thanks for the info, Whynot. We are three single women all around 60 traveling together, not a family. I hope we don't stick out like a sore thumb. I'd be interested to know if there were many singles aboard your cruise. Not that it matters, I guess. We're all such good friends I'm sure we'll have a great time!

Archived