Easiest (and most effective) diet EVER - no joke.

bardgal

Santa's Girl - Learn to read labels. I am on a label-reading jihad. ;)

yeahbaby - Rice products are fine. Egg Yolks have saturated fat (the bad animal kind) & cholesterol. Stay away from them if you're trying to lose weight. Period. Why make excuses and make things harder for yourself? :D

Here are things to avoid when it comes to sugar:

Sugar

Syrup

Corn Syrup

Fructose

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Sucrose

saccharose

Honey

Molassas

monosaccharide

disaccharide

glucose

sorghum

glucose syrup

trisaccharides

oligosaccharides

ribose

deoxyribose

maltose

galactose

mannose

The prefix "glyco-" indicates the presence of a sugar in an otherwise non-carbohydrate substance.

lactose - milk sugar isn't too bad..... and is largely unavoidable when you're eating milk or cheese.

This sounds like something I could live with. I tried Atkins, and lost weight, but it did a number on my cholesterol (they say it improves your numbers, but not mine!). I'm 5'8" and had been at 140-142 for many years (I'm now 60 yrs old). Suddenly (since I retired...hmmm) I'm up to 155. YIKES! I don't leave for my next cruise til October, but summer is coming, and we have a pool in our development, and....you know...! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

This sounds like something I could live with. I tried Atkins, and lost weight, but it did a number on my cholesterol (they say it improves your numbers, but not mine!). I'm 5'8" and had been at 140-142 for many years (I'm now 60 yrs old). Suddenly (since I retired...hmmm) I'm up to 155. YIKES! I don't leave for my next cruise til October, but summer is coming, and we have a pool in our development, and....you know...! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I did Atkins and the same thing happened to me. Cholesterol thru the roof, and my brain got stupid. I couldn't concentrate. I had goldfish brain - 30 seconds and i had forgotten what I was doing. I need carbs to THINK!

Bardgal, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who experienced elevated cholesterol from Atkins.

And WOW!!! I'm down to 150...that's 5 pounds in as many days! I know it's mostly "water weight", but it still looks good on the scale and is enough to keep me motivated. Bread is a challenge for me, but I was able to give it up on Atkins, so I can do it here, too. Thankfully, I LOVE rice of all kinds, especially brown rice.

I just spent the last hour reading all of these posts. I am so motivated and can't wait to head to the store and start reading lables. I am a sugar addict, but am ready to give it and wheat up!

We are cruising the Med. this summer and I want to be able to rock the swimsuit and feel confident. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary and I want to look better then i did on our wedding day!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Bardgal...you rock!!!:D

Hi bardgal,:)

Interesting theory here...one that has been around a long time and I believe is the cause for a whole mess of things.

Just curious...any reading/books in particular that you have found very helpful or insightful?

Sorry if you mentioned this before..the thread is so long at this point, I may have missed it.;)

Thanks so much:D

desperatehousewife - no books.... this just started with my own blood sugar levels being elevated and trying to get my fasting glucose lower. I had given up trying to get back in my size three jeans and wasn't even concentrating on losing weight. I just gave them up since your body processes them both as a sugar and releases insulin. Not only did my blood sugar levels go down, I lost a pound a day the first week!

I also wondered why every time I ate anything I'd get sleepy - I did some googling on that and found that sugar and gluten cause your brain to release seratonin which makes you sleepy. It also makes you want to eat MORE sugar and gluten (kind of like food heroin.)

It's been what I've discovered on my own - see the original post on the first page of this thread.

Give up wheat (gluten) and sugar for three days and you'll stop craving it. It gets easier every day, and you'll also feel tremendously empowered!

:D

This is GREAT and easy! I've lost 6 pounds so far, and the best part is that my "belly bloat" is going down! I also was plagued with a rather, um..."gassy" system, and that has improved immensely! I never was much for desserts and other sweets, so that helps.

I found a GREAT gluten-free bread called Glutino. I've only tried the corn version so far, but it is really tasty. The label says it's best toasted, and it is YUMMY! I'll have a slice with some cottage cheese on top for breakfast, and that holds me. It's from Canada (http://www.glutino.com), and I got mine at Wegman's in the frozen food area of the health food section. They have other flavors as well...I'll be giving them a try as soon as I finish the one I have. Their website gives the names of places where you can find it...I think Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wild Oats are among those mentioned. There is a link on their website to http://www.glutenfree.com, where you can buy all sorts of GF products, like pretzels, breakfast bars, and PIZZA CRUST.

Couldn't find the Glutino website but went to the other one, followed their link to Glutino - the breads seem to be out of stock - sounds unusual for the manufacturer - didn't ever see them at Trader Joe's -

Anyone found any others?

Bardgal: The lowest I found of Trader Joe's tomato based sauces was one with 2g sugar - marinara. However, the Alfredo Sauce has 1g. It's obviously more fattening in the usual sense but wonder how it would work on this eating plan - I did get the rice pasta.

Do love how following this eating plan makes me feel - I'm older and I'm not losing like the rest of you but suspect it will come off, just slower. Ah the fun and games of being a senior senior citizen!

Couldn't find the Glutino website but went to the other one, followed their link to Glutino - the breads seem to be out of stock - sounds unusual for the manufacturer - didn't ever see them at Trader Joe's -

Anyone found any others?

Bardgal: The lowest I found of Trader Joe's tomato based sauces was one with 2g sugar - marinara. However, the Alfredo Sauce has 1g. It's obviously more fattening in the usual sense but wonder how it would work on this eating plan - I did get the rice pasta. (Love your web page - any chance of an update on Linus and his pal? I have a Lionel who looks like a Linus double - he's now a little over 2 but new to us - cat rescue boy--wonderful!)

Do love how following this eating plan makes me feel - I'm older and I'm not losing like the rest of you but suspect it will come off, just slower. Ah the fun and games of being a senior senior citizen!

This is a great thread! A friend of mine went on this diet and lost a lot of weight! I think it just takes longer if you in your 50's, though.

One question - maybe I missed it while reading - is Minute Rice (brown) okay to use? I love brown rice, and always buy Minute Rice brand.

Thanks for sharing the recipes and all the advice, too! :)

This is a great thread! A friend of mine went on this diet and lost a lot of weight! I think it just takes longer if you in your 50's, though.

One question - maybe I missed it while reading - is Minute Rice (brown) okay to use? I love brown rice, and always buy Minute Rice brand.

Thanks for sharing the recipes and all the advice, too! :)

Brown rice is fine. Everything you need to know is in the original post I made when I began this thread, including all about brown rice and brown rice pasta. That should be required reading for this thread: The First Post. :D

Joy - read the ingredients of the TJs sauce. Does it have any added sugar? If not, then the 2gs of sugar might be from the tomatoes. Stick with the ingredient list more than the amounts of fat, sugar, salt, etc. The Classico pasta sauces have a few with no added sugar: Four Cheese, Roasted Garlic, Tomato & Basil (the original one, not the sweet basil one.)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow I am so thankful that the posts are here, even if it has been awhile!

I am at my all time highest weight and I know that I need to cut out Flour/Sugar as I had before but slipped back. What a mistake!

This is good encouragement to start One Day at a time and get the junk out of my house.

As I went for a walk today sad about my weight, I was thinking

Today is 08/08/08 and I am in this shape because I ate and ate to this ugly weight!

Tomorrow is a new day, thanks to all who have posted

I am so happy to see this post back at the top pages again. I started reading it several months ago with much interest. I wasnt motivated at the time to get with the program but I am now. I started the no sugar, flour "way of life" diet this morning. I have done Southbeach previously with great success so I know the basics. I will check in a post my results.

My biggest challange will be breakfast. I get sick of eggs and egg whites. I will go back and read some of the pages to see if there are any ideas.

Breakfast can be tough as the egg thing does get boring. I am able to eat chicken salad or chicken breast that is already cooked. The thing that is the most difficult is having easy stuff that is quick and on the run. The junk food is so easy to grab! (cookies travel so well) LOL They also seem to be staying a lifetime on my body!

Cruise coming up soon so need to get real serious!

I must comment here on not eating egg yolks as that is the most nutrious part of the egg! The egg is a perfect protein and your cholestrol level will not raise from eating eggs. the white of the egg contains lecitin which balances the cholestrol in the yolk. Also, eating cholestrol is not what causes the rise of cholestrol in our body- it's eating a high starch diet which turns into sugar which raises the cholestrol in our bodies. Eating less gluten products helps our body to stay balanced and shed weight. This is a great diet that the op has come up with-I just needed to thro that in about eggs as they are not as harmful as people think they are-actually quite good for you and a great source of protein!

You grab the easy stuff because you don't take the time to plan..it's a big reason why so many people are fat...rely too much on conveience.

I eat mostly south american and west indian food..I cook ahead..I try as best as I can to do no gluten thing..I eat boiled green bananas, salt fish and ackee (it's actually a fruit but looks like scrambled eggs when you cook it). I have my breakfast ready for when I wake up.

Sometimes I make a fruit smoothie the night before..no yogurt..fresh fruit, a little soy milk and splenda. I grab that . You can make an eggwhite quiche with vegetables and nuke it the microwave. Make that ahead of time too.

Queasy stomach..ginger tea..you can boil water with fresh ginger and make it that way, or you can look in the foreign foods section of the market for ginger tea bags. Works every time. grew up like this.

Breakfast can be tough as the egg thing does get boring. I am able to eat chicken salad or chicken breast that is already cooked. The thing that is the most difficult is having easy stuff that is quick and on the run. The junk food is so easy to grab! (cookies travel so well) LOL They also seem to be staying a lifetime on my body!

Cruise coming up soon so need to get real serious!

Archived