Easiest (and most effective) diet EVER - no joke.

bardgal

VC - I wasn't directing it toward you at all! I'm sooo sorry if it came across that way. :)

What you mention really does seem like the OP's intention, and I think seeing journal entries really helps others!

What I was trying to address was the frequentness of other posts in the last 8 (or so) pages whereby people would not read the first post, and customize the diet to their own. I realize that some of that is necessary due to allergies, strong food dislikes, etc, but other posters (not you!) try and go for whole wheat breads, think that wine is totally acceptable, and so on, which - if they want to go ahead and do those sorts of things on their diet, it really deviates from Bardgal's original post(s).

Again, I'm not saying that it is WRONG. Feel free to customize, but it I (personally) think it's best to get support for the diet in a new/different thread, since mixing up multiple diets into this one thread conufuses people, who then post in this thread about a different diet, which then confuses more people... and so on.

PS - VC, GREAT reacp on Bardgal's WOE!

VC - I wasn't directing it toward you at all! I'm sooo sorry if it came across that way. :)

What you mention really does seem like the OP's intention, and I think seeing journal entries really helps others!

What I was trying to address was the frequentness of other posts in the last 8 (or so) pages whereby people would not read the first post, and customize the diet to their own. I realize that some of that is necessary due to allergies, strong food dislikes, etc, but other posters (not you!) try and go for whole wheat breads, think that wine is totally acceptable, and so on, which - if they want to go ahead and do those sorts of things on their diet, it really deviates from Bardgal's original post(s).

Again, I'm not saying that it is WRONG. Feel free to customize, but it I (personally) think it's best to get support for the diet in a new/different thread, since mixing up multiple diets into this one thread conufuses people, who then post in this thread about a different diet, which then confuses more people... and so on.

PS - VC, GREAT reacp on Bardgal's WOE!

You are so right, this is not a "cheaters" diet at all. You lose weight and feel great within a week. But cheating with wine or french fries or regular bread does not work. (Thats why I am not yet eating potatos. If I eat a potato, I am just an inch away from making fries)

Back when the OP posted this in 2006, it was very difficult to find gluten free products in a regular grocery store. Now, they are on every isle of the grocery store. This is NOT an unlimited calorie--if you eat gluten free--diet. If you load up on those new GF products, you are going to not lose weight or you may even GAIN weight. Look at some of the GF bread. Instead of 70-90 calories a slice like regular bread it is over 150 calories per slice! :eek: Same for the GF pasta. You can not eat large supplies of GF products and lose weight. Plus, many have tons of sugar.

A lot of people have been asking for menu suggestions. A new magazine, Clean Eating, follows a lot of this plan and has lots of menus. (substitute Gluten Free bread if they use whole wheat bread)

Good luck!

I have also noticed that Eating Well (magazine and web site) have some nice-sounding recipes.

At home, I have a Mayo Clinic / Williams-Sonoma cookbook, which focuses on whole grain, lean meats, fresh foods. While most of the recipes wouldn't be appropriate for this WOE, I'm sure I can find some food ones in there that will fit.

A recipe from there that I would like to try is a vegetarian chili, served on soft polenta. That recipe should be able to be modified to suit this!

I found a few recipes that are easily adaptable for this WOE. Hope these inspire! :)

Snacks / Sides

Ham and Pepper Rollups

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ham_pepper_rollup.html

No modifications necessary.

Mary's Zucchini

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_zucchini.html

Dinners

Almond-Crusted Chicken Fingers

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_finger.html

Replace the WW flour with rice flour or maybe remove completely and up the almonds

Chili-Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus and Lemon

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chili_tilapia_asparagus.html

Coffee Bean and Peppercorn Steak

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/coffee_peppercorn_steak.html

Hello Everyone,

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thanks to everyone for all the info. I really think I can do this.

Julie,

Once you get "in the groove" with the WOE, it is pretty easy.

I work from my home office for half the week and in an office for the other half. Working at home has been easy, but I have to keep reminding myself to go to the office prepared.

I am also eating four to six times a day instead of three times a day.

Good luck,

Kim

Hi All! It's week 2 for me and I'm so excited I just had to share- I've lost 6 pounds! That's 2 lbs/wk!

At this rate the bikini will be in my suitcase for our cruise in October. :D

Just one question- has anyone besides me experienced intense nausea while doing this WOE? I had it about a week ago, and then again two days ago. On both those days, I had a large salad during the day. That's the only thing each day had in common. Nothing ever comes of it, but it's really painful and uncomfortable. :( Maybe someone has suggestions?

Hi All! It's week 2 for me and I'm so excited I just had to share- I've lost 6 pounds! That's 2 lbs/wk!

At this rate the bikini will be in my suitcase for our cruise in October. :D

Just one question- has anyone besides me experienced intense nausea while doing this WOE? I had it about a week ago, and then again two days ago. On both those days, I had a large salad during the day. That's the only thing each day had in common. Nothing ever comes of it, but it's really painful and uncomfortable. :( Maybe someone has suggestions?

For me, my body went into shock with the introduction of a high number of veggies vs. processed foods. I have also found that I now need to eat between 4 to 6 times a day instead of three large meals. I just dont feel well when I eat large meals now. Maybe the salad was too large for one sitting.

I am also having great luck on this diet of about 2-2.5 pounds a week.

Would anyone else mind sharing "recipes" or other meal/snack/lunch ideas?

Getting anxious to try this, just need to get the "bad" food out of the house!

Elenna,

I have been on this WOE since July 6th. I am now also looking for new ideas.

I have been lucky this Summer. We live in a rural area where every farm has a market. They will all close at the end of September though. For the Summer, I have been eating loads of fresh veggies, fruit, meats on the grill and low-fat dairy.

Here are two things I have found that have made my days interesting:

Some days I dont feel like eating eggs, etc. for breakfast. Actually breakfast has been my hardest meal on this WOE. Then I discovered both Whey Protein Powder from Whole Foods (their "365" brand) and Atkins vanilla shakes. I add one cup of blueberries and three strawberries with crushed ice in the blender and make a breakfast smoothie. Sometimes blackberries and sometimes small peaches but all low sugar fruits. After September, I will be using frozen sugar-free berries instead of the fresh.

I have been cutting up veggies and putting them in a zip lock bag with Italian dressing for a few hours. Then, I grill all the veggies at once and use them in several different ways. I chill them and put them over lettuce with some cheese for a salad. (no extra dressing needed) I wrap them with some corn (non gluten) tortillas and eat them hot with some grilled chicken and black beans to make my own fajitas. (no regular sour cream though!) If you dont want to make the veggies on your grill, you can put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 400 degrees.

I made a bunch of taco meat last night (just make sure you use a taco seasoning brand without sugar or gluten) I am taking a taco salad with me to work today. I am taking 1 cup of the baked corn tortillas to go with it. Tostitos now makes a baked variety if you can not find the blue corn chips in your store.

I will post some more things over the weekend. I will look back at my journal for my favorites.

Some of those recipes ideas sound pretty darn good. I think I will do some cooking this and freeze some things to eat throughout the week. it is taking me some time to get adjusted to this diet / lifestyle but I'm getting there.

Thanks for this thread!

Some of those recipes ideas sound pretty darn good. I think I will do some cooking this and freeze some things to eat throughout the week. it is taking me some time to get adjusted to this diet / lifestyle but I'm getting there.

Thanks for this thread!

Being prepared and having plenty of choices in the fridge has made this WOE a lot easier for me. As soon as I run out of my favorite choices, my mind starts to think about bad choices....

Went shopping yesterday. Was an impromptu trip, so I didn't purchase as "good" as should have.

Found some gluten-free waffles from Vans. They had regular and apple-cinnamon flavors, and came in standard or mini sizes.

Also, in lieu of ice cream, got some no-sugar-added fruit pops, with 30 calories each. They have berries in them, so I hope that they are "okay" with the natural sugars.

I also got some mesquite smoked turkey and cheese sticks to eat together. The honey-cured looked good, but I went for the one without added sugars. ;)

I got some brown rice, but I forgot stuff to go with it! But at least I have it for next time.

We have some sugar-free jello snacks for during the day.

Looking back, I forgot some steel-cut oatmeal, some fresh vegetables, and I likely could have purchased more cheese (sharing the package with husband).

We purchased some pork and rubs for the grill. Unfortunately, the recipes we have contain honey and apricot preserves, so those are "friendly", but the ingredients are purchased! I may try and scrape most of the sauce off of them to get as little as possible.

I totally fell off the bandwagon. I had to have an emergency root canal done (she said my nerve died!?), so I'm still on pain meds and my mouth is sore. :(

I'm limiting myself to liquids or very soft foods (mashed-potato consistency), which doesn't leave me (m)any no sugar / no gluten choices!

So I'm "off the boat" until this weekend, likely, or until my mouth heals.

Looking forward to this, though! Will need to look in my Mayo Clinic / Williams-Sonoma cookbook for ideas, but I will share when I get there!

Went shopping yesterday. Was an impromptu trip, so I didn't purchase as "good" as should have.

Found some gluten-free waffles from Vans. They had regular and apple-cinnamon flavors, and came in standard or mini sizes.

Also, in lieu of ice cream, got some no-sugar-added fruit pops, with 30 calories each. They have berries in them, so I hope that they are "okay" with the natural sugars.

I also got some mesquite smoked turkey and cheese sticks to eat together. The honey-cured looked good, but I went for the one without added sugars. ;)

I got some brown rice, but I forgot stuff to go with it! But at least I have it for next time.

We have some sugar-free jello snacks for during the day.

Looking back, I forgot some steel-cut oatmeal, some fresh vegetables, and I likely could have purchased more cheese (sharing the package with husband).

We purchased some pork and rubs for the grill. Unfortunately, the recipes we have contain honey and apricot preserves, so those are "friendly", but the ingredients are purchased! I may try and scrape most of the sauce off of them to get as little as possible.

Elenna,

Please let me know what you think of the GF waffles and where you found them. I have been looking for some good GF bread, no luck yet. I bought some corn tortillas to try. We will see.

Thanks

VonChap,

If you wouldn't mind sharing. What doe a typical day look like for you. Besides following the WOE, do you count calories as well?

Thanks!

Hi Julie,

Yes, I do count calories on fitday.com. I believe that you are not going to lose weight if you consume more calories than you work-off. Some of the gluten free products have a lot of calories as do some of the corn chip products. So, I eat those in moderation on this WOE

Yesterday, this is what I ate:

Breakfast: Vanilla Atkins shake with crushed ice and 1 cup of frozen berries (strawberry, blueberry and blackberry mix from Sam's Club) This makes a great shake in the blender.

Morning Snack: 1 "baby bell" light cheese and walnuts

Lunch: Fast Food: KFC grilled chicken (two pieces of white meat) with green beans and coleslaw. Skip the biscuit

Afternoon Snack: Sugar free jello parfait with half a peach and some whipped cream

Dinner: Two pieces of GF toast with a home

made ceasar salad. Baked turkey, lettuce, ceasar dressing and cheese.

Gluten free Bread: Look for Schar GF products at the grocery. This brand has been in Europe for years and is now in the US. Bread that tastes like real bread and toasts well too. I also order from Samis Bakery in Florida. They ship. Their flax bread is GF and comes in regular, cin-raisin and a few other flavors. It is expensive to ship but I buy a lot in one shipment and it freezes well.

Good luck!

Kim

Elenna,

Please let me know what you think of the GF waffles and where you found them. I have been looking for some good GF bread, no luck yet. I bought some corn tortillas to try. We will see.

Thanks

We found them on an endcap in the freezer section of oru local grocery store (Dierberg's). They might also be in the organic section.

I haven't tried them yet, but my husband said "not bad", which means a lot, considering that he tends to not like to change the old standbys.

I'll let you know what I think, when I get around to trying them! Need my tooth to heal a bit first.

We found them on an endcap in the freezer section of oru local grocery store (Dierberg's). They might also be in the organic section.

I haven't tried them yet, but my husband said "not bad", which means a lot, considering that he tends to not like to change the old standbys.

I'll let you know what I think, when I get around to trying them! Need my tooth to heal a bit first.

Hi Elenna, How is your tooth? Have you started this WOE yet? I lost another 1/2 pound but am having a very hard time staying focused now. I had some ice cream at a party last week and I have been thinking about nothing but sweets ever since! :(

Tooth is finally doing better, thank you!! Going back for the final root canal in a few weeks.

My husband decided to buy a bunch of heat-and-eat pastas, etc, to give me something soft to eat, so now we need to eat through those before I can start! I really need them out of the house so I don't have them in arm's reach!

I did try those gluten-free waffles. I'm not sure I'd do them again, but waffles are one of those foods that I could do without anyway. I would rather have a different breakfast food than a gluten-free waffle, but someone who LOVES waffles might find them a great substitute! I did find them more filling than a regular waffle, though.

I think variety will be the largest obstacle with this WOE. As has been said before, our cultures are soooo used to revolving around bread, carbs, and sugars. We have been planning meals for soooo long with these foods, and it is very difficult to switch your tastebuds and your planning habits at the same time.

Sooo.... because I have some time before I can start this WOE, I'm going to focus on getting some meals planned out.

Elena, good luck with your tooth. I too recently had an emergency root canal.

I did so well before cruise number one this summer and then it ended. Cruise number two last week set me back all my pounds and more. Now I have to get back on the bandwagon!

I tried the Vans blueberry GF waffles, but found them more like cardboard than waffles. I get the Ezekiel GF bread. Both are in the freezer section of my Shoprite.

Good luck everyone!

Cheryl

I think variety will be the largest obstacle with this WOE. As has been said before, our cultures are soooo used to revolving around bread, carbs, and sugars. We have been planning meals for soooo long with these foods, and it is very difficult to switch your tastebuds and your planning habits at the same time.

Sooo.... because I have some time before I can start this WOE, I'm going to focus on getting some meals planned out.

You are so right! Variety is the key to sticking to this WOE. That and having a stocked fridge. I have found it easier to stick to this plan if everything I need is in the fridge and ready to go. I have been cooking some things in advance and re-heating as needed. I have been on this WOE since July 6th and it does get easier. Although, I have been fighting the sugar cravings in the past week.

I found some frozen brown rice packets at Trader Joes. The rice is already cooked, you just heat it up in the microwave for 3 minutes. Super easy and perfect, gluten free rice. (not all rice products are GF--especially the boxed flavored rices)

Glueten Free Waffles and Pancakes: Try Pamela's brand. It is a bagged mix that can be used to make either waffles or pancakes. Tastes like the real thing. Just watch the calories. I make some waffles in advance and freeze them. Microwave for 30 seconds and then put in the toaster.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Archived