Easiest (and most effective) diet EVER - no joke.

bardgal

:) I just wanted to thank Bardgal for her postings and I am going to try and cut out the sugar and wheat. I have never had brown rice pasta, so I will go and get some today. I think it is something about hitting 40. I'm 44 and not getting any slimmer!! Thanks again.

After being on this diet for only a week I am down 6 lbs. I am proud of myself, not bad for a 53 year old.

Went to a wedding Friday evening and did very well. It was a sit down- dinner with no choices of entree. THey served chicken parm. (loaded with sauce ). I scraped off the breading and sauce as best I could and only ate 1/4 of the chicken breast. It was served with pasta and veggies. I ate the veggies but no pasta. It was also served with a salad which I ate very slowly. A pasta appetizer was also served, had a bite and gave it to my hubby. Passed on the wedding cake. They had a chocolate fountain with fresh fruit. I didn't even go near that table, I could have the fruiit but already felt full.

Prior to dinner the bride and groom were taking photo's so they were serving cheeses, vegetables, scallops, shrimp etc. I did fill my small plate with veggie's & shrimp and few cheeses so I wans't as hungary when I sat down to eat the main course.

To drink, had club soda and lime and was o.k. with that. I danced quite a bit so didn't even care about the wine.

Keep up the good work everybody!!!:)

Kukis!!!!

WELL DONE!! Isn't it funny how much we're surrounded by SUGAR???? And how, before changing to this lifestyle, we all would go to a wedding like that and eat all that crap without even giving it a second thought?

KEEP IT UP!!!

Answer me this about the corn tortillas.....I hear that they should not be made from corn flour. What other kind is there? I can't find any. I started this last week and have been chowing down on the ones made with corn flour thinking it was ok.

Thanks,

Alibaster

Corn flour and rice flour are fine. It's WHEAT flour you don't want because of the gluten.

Here is a site with some Gluten info.

On our recent cruise I aksed our waiter the first time I saw him for this:

Please bring a plate of raw vegetables to our table immediately when we arrive. i would like cut up carrots, celery and peppper strips on the plate. Also, every night for dessert, I would like a bowl of berries.

He said I should ask the maitre de, who he had come to the table and I repeated the request.

Just like clockwork every night when we arrived there it was..my way to stay out of the bread basket!! They were very tasty and so many of them my tablemates partook of them too! At dessert time, I just said " berries please" when the waiter came. I thought that by pre ordering them at the start of our long cruise, I would feel like I HAD to have what I said I wanted, and it worked very well.

Just an idea for the ones who cruise soon.... I also had decided before the crusie, I would have an occasional dessert if I wanted it, but I would have it in the Cova cafe, or at tea time in the afternoon, or at a time when it was simply a nice cup of tea and a decadently wonderful desert. In that way, I could REALLY enjoy it, and often only ate half, as it satisfied quickly. In this way, it was not yet one more course after an already filling meal, when you feel yucky with a hit of pure sugar or cream. Berries saved the day.

Just an idea.

I came across this thread about four or five days ago and have never felt better! I have already began to lose weight (I don't own a scale; I would guess that I have lost approximately five pounds). I have gotten back on my treadmill for 30-60 minutes each day and have downsized my portions. I was never overweight before beginning this diet, but I am about twenty pounds more than my normal weight.

I have a few questions. Please excuse me if they have already been answered in this thread.

1. Is fat-free basalmic vinagarette (sp?) okay?

2. What about corn-starch?

3. What about oats?

4. What about potatoes?

I am also sorry if these are stupid questions. Better safe than sorry! I have been avoiding these for the most part, but I believe a very small amount of corn-strarch, oats, and potatoes have been ingredients in some of my meals.

Also, I am a vegetarian. Any good veggie recipies to share? Thank you! :D

Although I'm not on this diet, I like the approach as an overall healthy eating pattern. I just returned from Nutrition S'mart and they have wheat free, gluten free elbow macaroni made from corn...$3.19 per pound. 150 calories for 2ounces which is about half a cup. I just cooked some and ate it for lunch and it tastes decent plus the price is right. ..Menina

Ingredients: Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette-sugar free dressing (soybean oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, maltodextrin, spices, dehydrated garlic, basil, oregano, xanthan gum, polypropelene glycol alginate, sucralose, potassium sorbate, calcium disodium EDTA), field greens (may contain any of the following: tango, Lolla rosa, red oak leaf, baby romaine, green oak leaf, baby red romaine, baby leaf spinach, baby red chard, red mustard, tatsoi, mizuna, frisee, arugula, radicchio, curly endive), cucumber, red onion.

Ingredients: Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, Greek dressing (soybean oil, olive oil, water, distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, white wine, spices, cornstarch, dehydrated garlic, monosodium glutamate [MSG], flavor [hydrolyzed corn soy protein], xanthan gum to provide thickness, calcium disodium, EDTA to preserve freshness), Kalamata olives (olives, water, sea salt, olive oil), Feta cheese (cultured pasteurized part-skim milk, salt, enzymes, powdered cellulose to prevent caking), pepperoncini, red onion, black pepper.

Is there something wrong with these ingredients (namely, the dressings)?

Too many chemicals!!! you really want all that crap in your body? even if it tastes good?? why not try to make your own homemade dressing?

Ingredients: Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette-sugar free dressing (soybean oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, maltodextrin, spices, dehydrated garlic, basil, oregano, xanthan gum, polypropelene glycol alginate, sucralose, potassium sorbate, calcium disodium EDTA), field greens (may contain any of the following: tango, Lolla rosa, red oak leaf, baby romaine, green oak leaf, baby red romaine, baby leaf spinach, baby red chard, red mustard, tatsoi, mizuna, frisee, arugula, radicchio, curly endive), cucumber, red onion.

Ingredients: Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, Greek dressing (soybean oil, olive oil, water, distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, white wine, spices, cornstarch, dehydrated garlic, monosodium glutamate [MSG], flavor [hydrolyzed corn soy protein], xanthan gum to provide thickness, calcium disodium, EDTA to preserve freshness), Kalamata olives (olives, water, sea salt, olive oil), Feta cheese (cultured pasteurized part-skim milk, salt, enzymes, powdered cellulose to prevent caking), pepperoncini, red onion, black pepper.

Is there something wrong with these ingredients (namely, the dressings)?

1. Is fat-free basalmic vinagarette (sp?) okay?

2. What about corn-starch?

3. What about oats?

4. What about potatoes?

:D

1. Any balsamic is okay as long as it's not a cheap one where they've added sugar in the fermintation process. Naturally ferminted is fine.

2. Fine.

3. Read this before you eat oats, then make your own call.

4. Only in moderation. Maybe once a week but no more.

As for your dressings, they're POISON.

#1: Sucralose is Splenda - so it's fine. However, Maltodextrin is too close to SUGAR for me to be comfortable with - specifically corn syrup.

#2: White wine on top of all the vinegar? I'd say okay with one vinegar, but wine too? NO. Wine=sugar. It's very easy to make your own dressing.

I have been eating no wheat/gluten and sugar since Saturday and already lost 3-4 lbs. I am so happy. It really is easy to do and the brown rice is delicious. I have a 3-egg white omelet for breakfast with cottage cheese, a big salad for lunch and brown rice and veggies for supper. I drink flavored water without sugar. The other good thing is, I am not hungry between meals.

So happy I found this board!!

I also have been trying to lose about 20 lbs to get back to my ideal weight. I have been struggling for a long time:( . I am not a big sweet eater or soda or fast food. I do excercise and right now I am eating small portions. what I want to know is the diet this thread is talking about is it like atkins or not. I tried atkins along time ago and it was too hard for me. :p I apologize if I am repeating questions but if anyone has some info they want to share about this I would greatly appreciate it. thank you:)

I also have been trying to lose about 20 lbs to get back to my ideal weight. I have been struggling for a long time:( . I am not a big sweet eater or soda or fast food. I do excercise and right now I am eating small portions. what I want to know is the diet this thread is talking about is it like atkins or not. I tried atkins along time ago and it was too hard for me. :p I apologize if I am repeating questions but if anyone has some info they want to share about this I would greatly appreciate it. thank you:)

No -- This way of life (not a diet) is not like Atkins, which I have tried and didn't work for me. You might want to go back to the first page of this thread and read all that Bardgal has to say. She is the knowlegeable one. Follow her advice and you will be losing in no time. You won't even miss bread or sweets, I promise. :)

Thank you firstimer2! I just went thru this thread and reread my posts. I feel I need to clarify something:

I should have said NO SUGAR/NO WHEAT.

Rice flour and corn flour are fine. It's the wheat and gluten that's the poison.

And no, it's nothing like Atkins. I eat tons of carbs, I just don't eat sugar and wheat.

:D :D :D

I hope you don't mind me asking questions, but your very knowledgeable about the gluten/sugar free lifestyle change.

In one of your posts you mentioned that you take Magnesium to help kickstart your metabolism. Is there a particular brand that you buy and what dosage do you take?

Prior to being on this diet, I had severe swelling in my legs/ankles. Since I have gone gluten free, I don't have anymore swelling. I can't beleive it, I suffered with that swelling for so many years. You truely have been a lifesaver for me.:)

I hope you don't mind me asking questions, but your very knowledgeable about the gluten/sugar free lifestyle change.

In one of your posts you mentioned that you take Magnesium to help kickstart your metabolism. Is there a particular brand that you buy and what dosage do you take?

Prior to being on this diet, I had severe swelling in my legs/ankles. Since I have gone gluten free, I don't have anymore swelling. I can't beleive it, I suffered with that swelling for so many years. You truely have been a lifesaver for me.:)

No more swelling! How cool is THAT! :D

I take a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combo I get at Costco. I'll try to remember to look when I get home at the dosage.

I recommend to everyone read the South Beach Diet book. It will open your eyes and give you a whole new perspective on dieting. I have tried and been successful on Adkins, but feel South Beach is a more sustainable long term diet.

Both Adkins and SBD (South Beach Diet) are very similar in restricting your carb intake. Adkins allows more fatty foods and SBD recommends to avoid fatty foods. SBD allows for certain carbs in phase 2 that Adkins doesn't allow until later on, if ever, like fruit.

The basic philosopy of SBD is to avoid carbohydrates, starches and sugar. Most food we consume now is processed and removes the fiber, minerals and vitamins. You should stick with the least processed foods as possible. Cracked wheat, grains, etc. No white rice, durum pasta and "enriched" foods. If they didn't take away all the goodness, there would be no need to "enrich" it.

Google the phrase "gylcemic index" and you'll learn alot about how foods cause your blood sugar to rise and fall.

The key is to eat foods that aren't high in sugar, starch or carb content that won't overload your pancreas and cause spikes in production of insulin. Its the elevated levels of insulin that cause diebeties and keep our bodies from efficiently processing the sugar energy in our blood streams. Once this process breaks down, our body cannot process this energy and it has to be stored as FAT.

Lets start off with an example of a baked potato...

A starch like a baked potato is just as harmful as a regular soda. Both raise your blood sugar levels. The sugar in the soda and the starches in the baked potato act the same. With the initial rush in the spike of blood sugar, comes the subsequent crash in blood sugar levels, that causes you to feel weak and crave food.

Its all about how fast your stomach digests your food. The key is to slow down digestion, which slows the stomach from processing the sugars, carbs and starches that cause that rise in blood sugar. Whole grains and vegetables have fiber, which must be processed and broken down first, before the sugar is processed, and this slows down the introduction of the blood sugars into your blood stream.

Highly refined foods like white bread and white rice are bad. A slice of white bread is the equivilent of a tablespoon of table sugar. There are no fibers to slow down digestion, so the chains of starches are broken down quickly into sugars and fed quickly to the blood stream.

If your are going to eat white bread, it is better to dip it in olive oil, so that the fat in the oil will slow down digestion of the starches in the bread. (see a theme here yet?)

If your going to have a baked potato, it is healthier to put some butter or hearth healthy spread on it to slow down the digestion of the starches.

French fries are actually better than baked potatoes because the fat they are cooked in helps slow down the digestion of the starches.

SBD is an excellent program to reduce the occurance of adult onset diebeties (type 2). Those that mention going all carbs, I'd be curious what your blood work looks like????

I don't explain it near as well as the book...

This thread is not about the south beach diet, which also endorses bread and flour, etc. You posted this in the wrong spot.

I recommend to everyone read the South Beach Diet book. It will open your eyes and give you a whole new perspective on dieting. I have tried and been successful on Adkins, but feel South Beach is a more sustainable long term diet.

Both Adkins and SBD (South Beach Diet) are very similar in restricting your carb intake. Adkins allows more fatty foods and SBD recommends to avoid fatty foods. SBD allows for certain carbs in phase 2 that Adkins doesn't allow until later on, if ever, like fruit.

The basic philosopy of SBD is to avoid carbohydrates, starches and sugar. Most food we consume now is processed and removes the fiber, minerals and vitamins. You should stick with the least processed foods as possible. Cracked wheat, grains, etc. No white rice, durum pasta and "enriched" foods. If they didn't take away all the goodness, there would be no need to "enrich" it.

Google the phrase "gylcemic index" and you'll learn alot about how foods cause your blood sugar to rise and fall.

The key is to eat foods that aren't high in sugar, starch or carb content that won't overload your pancreas and cause spikes in production of insulin. Its the elevated levels of insulin that cause diebeties and keep our bodies from efficiently processing the sugar energy in our blood streams. Once this process breaks down, our body cannot process this energy and it has to be stored as FAT.

Lets start off with an example of a baked potato...

A starch like a baked potato is just as harmful as a regular soda. Both raise your blood sugar levels. The sugar in the soda and the starches in the baked potato act the same. With the initial rush in the spike of blood sugar, comes the subsequent crash in blood sugar levels, that causes you to feel weak and crave food.

Its all about how fast your stomach digests your food. The key is to slow down digestion, which slows the stomach from processing the sugars, carbs and starches that cause that rise in blood sugar. Whole grains and vegetables have fiber, which must be processed and broken down first, before the sugar is processed, and this slows down the introduction of the blood sugars into your blood stream.

Highly refined foods like white bread and white rice are bad. A slice of white bread is the equivilent of a tablespoon of table sugar. There are no fibers to slow down digestion, so the chains of starches are broken down quickly into sugars and fed quickly to the blood stream.

If your are going to eat white bread, it is better to dip it in olive oil, so that the fat in the oil will slow down digestion of the starches in the bread. (see a theme here yet?)

If your going to have a baked potato, it is healthier to put some butter or hearth healthy spread on it to slow down the digestion of the starches.

French fries are actually better than baked potatoes because the fat they are cooked in helps slow down the digestion of the starches.

SBD is an excellent program to reduce the occurance of adult onset diebeties (type 2). Those that mention going all carbs, I'd be curious what your blood work looks like????

I don't explain it near as well as the book...

Hey JoeTX - You should actually read this thread. :)

This diet is a lot simpler, easier to follow, and works better and faster than SB. It is also FAR AND AWAY nothing anything remotely like Atkins either. I eat TONS of carbs.

I also explained about my blood sugar/fasting glucose - but then you'd know that if you'd actually taken the time to read the thread - or even my first post.

Archived