Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure

A&S

Is this worth the price tag?

Are the facilities clean, etc?

I have done this before elsewhere in the world and had a fantastic experience and don't want to ruin it. I've heard that the conditions in which the dolpins are kept in some facilities are horrendous and I don't want to support them

We did the Royal swim at Chankanaab Park by booking direct with dolphindiscovery.com and it was much cheaper that way. This is the company that the cruiselines book through. There is a separate entrance fee to the park ($16 each,cash only) and it is a $10 taxi ride each way but still cheaper. The facilities seem very modern and all clean that we saw. You start off by watching a short educational video -advice on handling and being around the dolphins and then you go out to the lagoon,just walk out along a long pier to the lagoon (enclosure). The dolphins looked healthy and they have quite a large area to swim in. I don't know how you could assess the wellbeing of the dolphins though other than first impressions...The trainers interacted with all of us and were enthusiastic and seemed to enjoy their work. I found the experience very thrilling and I would not hesitate to go again one day. It was the highlight of our cruise.

Of course they take a DVD of your tour and lots of photos which make it expensive but anyone in your group can take photos if they want.

Hope this helps:)

• 3 weeks later...

My 3 kids and I did the Swim and Snorkel just last month and had the time of our lives. Yes, by the time you add up the entrance fees, swim & snokel fees, and taxi costs it is an expensive day. But as a one-time excursion, it was, in our opinion, highly worth it. We even bought the DVD because, as my kids put it, it was the absolute "greatest thing" they had done! The place appears very well kept, the trainers all showed a lot of care and concern over the dolphins, and we were very happy we chose to do this. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Archived