What are my options if...

MamaParrotHead

The airline changes my flight times after I book? The flights I have booked today we paid a little more for because there were just a couple that fit the times we needed (as far as departure days/times and minimum lay-over times we're comfortable with, etc.). If Northwest changes them, can I rebook, and is there any kind of fee (or way of getting around it)? Does this happen often? And are the changes usually minor, or can they be dramatic changes? And is there a time-limit for how long before the flight they can make these changes?

Thanks!

Airlines change flight times all the time. There is no set limit to how many times they can change a flight or any cutoff as to when. I've had as many as 6 changes on one itinerary, including a change midcruise.

If the airline changes your flight by more than a few minutes, you have a right to call and be placed on a different flight on the same airline at your request with no fee. You also have a right to cancel your ticket and get a full refund of your fare so you can rebook on another airline (but then you'll have to pay the current fees).

Best thing to do is, after you've booked, monitor your reservation (don't assume they will call you and tell you about the changes). If you see a change that isn't acceptable to you, look up your options before you call, and then call the airline and ask them to switch you to flights you find acceptable.

Archived